Home Page  | How to Join  | Official Merchandise  | Western Meet | Eastern Meet | Meet Photos | Technical Info  | Museum  | Parts Sources  | Officers
MajorPain

HELP WITH INTERIOR PAINT CODES

I'M RESTORING A 1970 MONTE AND THE DOOR AND TRUNK STICKER IS MISSING. THE EXTERIOR PAINT IS 28/ FATHOM BLUE AND THE INTERIOR IS A SORT OF MEDIUM TO DARK BLUE. I'VE CONTACTED SEM TO GET THE RIGHT PAINT BUT I CAN'T FIND THE RIGHT CODE SO THEY CAN MIX THE PAINT, CAN ANYONE HELP WITH THE INTERIOR PAINT CODE?

You won't find a SEM paint to match by code, even if they have the code. These cars are approaching 50 years old and surfaces painted in a color usually have some shade shift..

Take a piece of interior trim to an autobody supply shop. They can mix a paint to match and put it in an aerosol spray can. In my area, it's about $30 per can. It'll have the mix code on it if you need them to make more in the future. Make sure you tell them what color the part is that you'll be painting for them to test on.

Assuming you're painting plastics, the same body supply shop will have plastic cleaner and plastic adhesion promoter. You'll need both.

Warm the part before spraying and after to help cure it, a hair dryer works well.

Thanks, It sounds like you've had a bad deal with SEM. The SEM mixers down here are auto/body suppliers and they've done alot of mixing for the local car clubs; their paints are usually spot on for a complete interior resto. I'd like to get the right code and go from there. I can find several sites with all of the Chevelle codes, which should be very close, but I want to be sure. If you, or anyone else may know where to find the interior paint codes, I'd really appreciate it.  Thanks again.

Paul that chart is fantastic, nice work! Wonder if we can put it some where in the tech section.