70 Monte Carlo 3 speed column shift.

Hello everyone. I have a couple questions. I just bought a 70 Monte Carlo and the car is a 3 speed column shift with manual steering. It’s basically a base model car, bench seat, 350 2bbl carb, non ac, am radio    I was wondering if anyone knows how i can find out how many cars were made like it with the same options. It’s all original and is beautiful. Not a spec of rust. I wanted to know strictly for insurance purposes. Thank you!

2 hours ago, 1970mcss said:

You look like you own a very rare Monte, Post some pictures so the rest of us can enjoy your car...

DOTTO on the photo's and sharing.

rob

Wow! That's a pretty plain Jane 70 you have there. Probably the lowest/lack of options Monte around. Does it have front drum or disc brakes? Cool find! 

Welcome Beau!

Of 145,976 built, 2,482 had manual steering.

545 had the three speed manual transmission, which had to be column mounted.

This car must be a complete bear to drive.

The "remove" a standard feature on these cars such as front disc brakes to drums needed a special request during ordering.

It’s disc brakes. No the car drives great! I knew it was rare. But my only question is if we know how many cars were made in each category, as in no power steering and column shift., how many were made like mine. And I will post some pics hopefully soon! 

Sorry I don’t have any better pictures. I will get some more of the interior tomorrow. It’s all original minus the rims of course. Never been re painted. 52,000 miles. 

This is my 72 Monte. It’s pretty much 70,71 and 72 all put together lol. Rear wheel wells are cut from the front fenders of a 59 rambler station wagon. Between my father and I we have 8 70-72 Montes. 

• Like 1

Very cool!

The FGMCC founder Kevin Wiles also built a street legal Coke Machine. It is now owned by Coca Cola.

904F50AF-9A0B-42C0-ABAE-695661523E40.jpeg

Very nice! I remember driving a first gen (not sure what year) with a 3 speed on the tree when I worked at a Ford dealership in the 70's. It was purchased by one of the service write-up men.

Bruce

• 1 month later...

Cool car. If the paint is indeed original, it's the first Cranberry Red Monte I've seen without blacked out rockers. Anyone else see an original paint cranberry car with red rockers? 

Jeff

Beau, First off , Welcome to the Club!! Very rare and nice looking Monte! 2nd, you need to do a Monte of the Month write -up of this rare find. Sounds like you are into the First Gen Monte Carlo"s. Glad you joined  "The Club"and provided pictures. There is a lot of good information from the people on this site. You guys in the mid-west find some rare cars, sometimes wish I never left Wisconsin, (I was the kid growing up in That '70's Show).post-259-0-93319100-1480263543_thumb.jpg