Original Master Cylinder rebuild

Hoodicoff1

Going through brakes on this ole 71ss, changing lines and such out, got the weak points out, and now the master cylinder is bypassing from one reservoir to the other (not surprising it's been sitting for so long...) I may have to run a repop for the time being, unless someone can tell me where to get the rebuild kit for my current master cylinder? It has the nipples on the side and is the rectangular style 

Also, once I get it all fixed, what's the correct finish? Just use some cast paint? Or is it supposed to be black?? 

DSC_0488.JPG

Hey Steve, I had mine done by someone in Ca.1972.jpg.85143473508d06ec916349ecb860bfb3.jpg

Not sure if I would do it again because of the cost. I don't know where you can get the rebuilding kit from.  Maybe someone else will chime in for that info. The colors are gold cad for the booster and yes cast for the master.  I thought I had a better pic but that's all I can find.

Steve have you tried to bleed the master cylinder? The nipples are bleeders to get trapped air out of the master cylinder. You would bleed it the same way as the brakes. I would drain the master cylinder and use compressor air to blow the out the opening. Which part of the master cylinder is being bypassed the front or back? Do you have fluid at all four corners?

I believe I saw a post describing the different finishes for master and booster. the rebuild kit ate not hard to come by. I believe you can look in the vendor section of the groups page and find someone who sells them. if you have an original master dont send it in for an exchange period correct is sort after by some of the members. 

7 hours ago, monte70car said:

Steve have you tried to bleed the master cylinder? The nipples are bleeders to get trapped air out of the master cylinder. You would bleed it the same way as the brakes. I would drain the master cylinder and use compressor air to blow the out the opening. Which part of the master cylinder is being bypassed the front or back? Do you have fluid at all four corners?

Last night I changed the rear brake lines on the axle and new wheel cylinders.  Spent a while trying to get everything bled (look at my clever power seat bleed tool 😏)  I can get fluid to all four corners, but pedal still goes to the floor, I would push the brakes slowly and all I see is fluid squirting from the rear chamber to the front, I can hear the brakes operating in the rear, but the pedal just dives to the floor no matter what 

20190530_185311.jpg

20190530_215953.jpg

First off I would change the master with a new one not a rebuilt and save the old one for a later rebuild, bench bleed it before you put it on. Gravity bleed the system then get help to properly bleed it out then see where you are. Then go from there. Rebuild or reman master cylinders are usually junk right out of the box. I learned that working in a brake shop for 15 years.