burning eyes while driving my car

rsorg

the car show we went to ,on the way there my wife and my eyes got irritated from the fumes giving off on the inside of the car with the windows down, could it be that the carb is set to lean or rich, i would not know how to correct this,i think it is a carb issue ,but the car runs great at idle and exceleration, thanks

Without experiencing the issue, I would say too rich. What carb is on your car? Ignition system?  Ignition timing? Does your exhaust exit out the rear? 

hi, i have a stock  rochester quad carb, stock ignition, timing maybe a little advanced and the exhaust out the rear off the car, yes that could be that it is a little rich ,the car turned off at the car show will also have a rich smell to it until it cools down,thanks

Has the carb been rebuilt? Rule of thumb is the mixture screws 1 1/2 turns from being bottomed out as a good start. Float could be too high also.  Still have points in the distributor? Did this just start happening or there for a while? 

hi, this has been going on for a while the carb was rebuilt a very long time ago  there are points in the distributor,so do i turn the screws clockwise all the way in then out 1 1/2 turns ,?

i will try this first, not sure how to check the float but will also check the timing after i adjust the mixture screws ,thank you

Yes, turn the screws in till gently bottomed out/tight. Then back each out 1 1/2 turns and see how she runs. Then check/advance the timing. I also recommend an electronic ignition (hotter spark). If you want to keep the look of stock I recommend and had great success with the pertronix conversion. 

great ,thank you for your help , i will start out with baby steps and let you know ,the last time i had the original carb rebuilt and is in the car now the carb was professionally done ,the carb also had worn out throttle body shafts that were creating a vacuum problem for me,  used a propane torch unlit of course and went around the throttle body plate ,and the rpms went up as the car was idling telling me there a vacuum leak from the worn out brass shafts, thanks again roger

hi, i checked the mixture needles on my carb and if you are facing the front of the car the right one was out 3 1/2 turns and the left one out 4 turns i set them at 1/1/2 turns out from seating and have not had a chance to start and drive yet 

Sounds like a good start. Start it and see how it runs. If it seems rough, you can adjust the screws. Also you can hook up a vacuum gauge while adjusting the screws and look for the highest vacuum reading while adjusting the screws. Good luck 

hi, i had adjusted my mixture screws out 1 1/2 turns car ran a little rough, died on me at the stop sign ,then turned out the screws 3 turns  car runs better but will probable have to go to 3 1/2or 4 ,does the vacuum gauge connect to the hose coming off the front of the carb? and do i try to get the most vacuum while adjusting the mixture screws thanks rogeri