Home Page  | How to Join  | Official Merchandise  | Western Meet | Eastern Meet | Meet Photos | Technical Info  | Museum  | Parts Sources  | Officers
Magic Dave

My hood sits high in the back.

Hi guys,

I have new hinges and my hood sits not quite flush with the fender in the rear portion. The old hinges did the same thing. I did slot out the hinges as much as I could to gain a little more adjustment which got me closer but not where it needs to be. So I have a question. I noticed that my radiator support bushing are collapsed and I can actually lift the support up about 1/2 inch. Since the front of the hood rests on the support do you think that by replacing those bushings it will raise the front of the hood enough to correct the geometry on the rear side? My only other thought would be to remove the 2 rear weld nuts for the hinge mounting and lower them a 1/2 inch and reweld them.

My hood did the same thing.  I loosened the front hinge bolts on the fender and raised the front of the to fix that problem or loosen the back bolt and the one on the firewall and raise the front of the hood.

I remember having the same problem and like Larry said I had to adjust the hinge but not like I assumed. Rt_hinge_71.thumb.jpg.3f18c272517109ea315341c3a6fee828.jpg

Definitely get the core support back to where it needs to be, your fenders will thank you.  Here's a good resource on aligning hoods/trunks, MARTINSR has a large collection of posts with sheetmetal basics.

https://www.hotrodders.com/forum/how-lower-rear-your-hood-front-your-trunk-alignment-222021.html

Thanks for the input guys. I literally spent hours aligning it got it close but not perfect. Blackhawks link is helpful and sheds some in site. I didn't think to add a shim under the front of the of the hinge. This makes sense. I have my fenders off at the moment but I will definitely try this.

I would certainly fix the front mounts first but Larry has the right idea. If you raise the front of the hinge that will bring down the rear. It effects how the hinge closes on itself.

Steve 

I agree with raising the front of the hinge. It sounds strange, but it works as Steve says. 

Dan