Question on lug studs

I finally got the new wheels and tires on my car, the question is I am only able to get about 8 threads of the lug nuts on because the new rims are aluminum the old ones were steel wheels. Question is is that enough or should I replace the studs? I don't have any long trips planned for this summer but do next year. Any advice would be appreciated. 

You will hear that it is enough and that it isn't. I prefer to have at least the nut fully through the stud. For arguments sake, it's about 3/4 " into the nut. 

Guess thats the old school drag racer in me. Plus you don't have to guess if it's enough threads. 

• Like 1

Thanks Tom, I'm not going to race its just a driver I just don't want a wheel passing me anywhere. I may take it to the track once before I rebuild the engine just to see what the rebuild gets me but thats about it. I may just get longer studs over the winter anyhow and may be doing some brake work to it too, it really dont need it I may just rebuild the calipers and upgrade the rotors.

Good luck finding longer studs. When I put my new wheel on one of the packages was a metric set and messed up on set of studs. I had a really hard time finding some that would work. Went thru the book at NAPA and finally found some that were a little longer but now do not know if the steel wheels will work or not because of the knurl sticking thru the axle. I do not have any steel wheels left and never checked them before I sold the rally's. I never did check either to see how far the lug nuts went onto the new studs just that they are holding the wheel just fine after 3 years. I never did find studs that were the same length as what was on the car to begin with.

• Like 1

I believe the knurl diameter is .472/.486", either should work.

I also believe the stock overall length is 1-1/2"

Raynbestos lists their 27777B stud as 2-1/8" long with a knurl diameter of .487". If your current studs are the stock 1-1/2", these should work for you.

Knock the old ones out and use a well greased nut over some washers to pull the new ones in. You shouldn't need anywhere near the 60 lbs/foot limit of a 7/16"-20 fastener (lubed) to seat them.

• Like 1

NO!!! Do what you have to to get longer studs, even if you have to get ARP's. Is it worth a quarter panel or fender (or worse)?!

Your stock studs are 7/16" diameter with a 24 pitch. If you're only engaging 8 threads, you're grabbing less than 3/8" worth of stud. If 3/8" was enough, GM would have used 3/8" studs. AND you're stressing the very end of the stud, not close to the base. Maybe fine at low straight speed, but put a little lateral stress on that around a corner and you'll be wishing you changes studs.

Get 1-3/4" studs and they will work with both your new (beautiful) aluminum rims and your steel rims. PLUS you have the assurance of new (not 48 yr old) studs.

Your car looks great, lets protect it (and you)!

Scott

• Like 1

I got the longer ARP studs and cut them down...It's worth the time and effort and you can custom cut them to what you need. If a tire comes off it's going to create a lot of damage to everything...ugly.

My 2 cents

Steve 

• Like 1

No Jim nuts didnt come with them, I used the chrome cap nuts on them. The rims are a little thicker than the steel wheels because there aluminum so I'll feel a little safer with a little longer stud. I have found some for the rear and I'll be changing the rotors over the winter so that will take care of that.