Awake after 34 year slumber!

As most of you know, I purchased a 71 402 auto Monte Carlo in October of last year. Upon getting it home my brother and I promptly tucked it away for a LONG winter's nap. 

We have alot of "stuff" going on and this Monte had to wait. Well guess what!? The wait is over! Lol we got her out of her cocoon and got the ole girl running! 

IMG_20180917_174643.jpg

IMG_20190622_132326.jpg

IMG_20190622_112516.jpg

IMG_20190622_111342.jpg

IMG_20190622_105634.jpg

IMG_20190622_103829.jpg

• Like 6

Thanks Paul. 

No skirts on this one. It has the PO2 hubcaps. The original owner removed all the chrome and trim 34 yrs ago to start a restoration that didn't happen. He put all the chrome and trim back on that he could find to make the car more appealing to sell. Unfortunately he couldn't find the original wheel well mouldings. I believe I have a few used and nos sets. We shall see...

IMG_0417.thumb.JPG.f798fe28f8ac3edc9374f98ddf450f56.JPG

• Like 1

Tom does the alarm still work? I have the same P02 hubcaps on my custom.  I refer to them as 100pound hubcaps, they probably  weigh 20 pounds apiece. lol

• Like 1

I found the paperwork on the Sears alternator with the warranty.. lolol

She has 402, th400, 3:31 posi, dual exhaust, a/c, tilt, gauges, remote mirror, power windows, am/fm stereo, courtesy lighting, rear defog, vanity mirror, power bench seat,door edge guards, belt mouldings, bumper guards, power trunk, 7inch rims with the PO2 hubcaps. I think that's all the options. Lolol

• Like 3

Got the chance to restart the ole girl and check other systems. After adding 8qts trans fluid, went right into gear. Jacked up the rear end and ran through the gears. All good!

Went to stop, not so good. Looks like a leaking left brake line to the wheel cylinder and master leaking at the booster after adding fluid.

Also checked the charging system quickly. Not charging. Checked connections before major storm hit and all good there. I have a few spare alternators and regulators laying around. Will try that soon. 

Progress so far.....

• Like 1

Hello all.

Played hide n seak with storms this Saturday again. Changed the gas tank sender, rubber lines at the tank and fuel pump. Added fuel and cranked till she started. No more line into fuel can!! And checked operation of gauge before installing sender. All good there.

Removed the original, (still have the tag on them) rear coil springs that were sooo bad they were almost touching and r/r the rear shocks.

Removed the old Sears alternator and installed a known good one I had "in stock". Started it up and checked the charging system. All is well now. 

Next up, all hose's for the cooling system, brake lines on the rear, master cylinder and exhaust system. 

• Like 3

• 4 weeks later...

Today was good. Lol. Removed all the rear brake lines from the proportion valve to the brakes. Installed new steel lines and rubber line with ones from inline tube. Fit great!  Also removed and replaced the rear wheel cylinders. Why not, instead of fighting with the rusted to death bleeder screws, and got them from Amazon for 4.00 each. No brainer there..lol

Still have to r/r the master before I bleed the brakes. R/r the horn pad that was sticky and distorted with a good one we had in stock.

Still have the cooling system and exhaust system to do. Plus whatever else pops up. Lolol

Nice going Tom!!!  Keep it going.  Inline worked great for me to on all my lines.

Have been sick so i haven't gotten back in for a week. Doc tells me no for 3 weeks. I tell her and my wife "Yes Dear" and going in alittle at a time starting tomorrow.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks! Working on it. Lol tried 4 known good, when removed, master cylinders last Saturday. None worked! Lol. Got one off of Amazon, will install this weekend and see what happens. 

Hi everyone! Here are a few pics of the updates that I have posted. 

Quick update... Rear springs and shocks, 4 tires that hold air, belts, alt, master, fuel pump and hose's, fan clutch, carb. Still have hose's and coolant, and exhaust yet to do. Waiting in the wings. Lol

IMG_20190820_140243.jpg

IMG_20190820_140610.jpg

IMG_20190820_140641.jpg

IMG_20190820_140624.jpg

• Like 2