Sway Bar Size

Let's talk  about sway bar size, brand ,and how it changed the ride in our Monte's. I'm thinking of upgrading my current 1.125" front and .875" rear to a 1.250"  front and 1 " rear. I've already improved on Control Arms (Thanks to imr), and am going to drilled, slotted rotors with wilwood 4 piston calipers. upgrading rear with disc brakes from 2002 Camaro. Thoughts on sway bars........post-259-0-93319100-1480263543_thumb.jpg

Jim, I can tell you that after updating the rear stuff on my car, it put a lot of emphasis on how bad the front was! I spoke with the guys at UMI at Carlisle a few years back about it, they suggested starting with a front sway bar, then upgrade the shocks. If I still wanted more, then go on to the springs,  A arms and changing spindles and all last. 

I went with UMI front sway bar and that alone made a remarkable difference over stock. I had redone the entire front end with stock stuff back when I did the car, but that swaybar change was huge. 

The question remains what size is the front sway bar you purchased. I'm looking at SPOHN performance out of Myerstown PA. on a set 1.250" front and 1.00" rear 4140 chrome moly for a mere $359.00 for both. Just wanted to know if 1.250" front is enough for our "large" cars.post-259-0-93319100-1480263543_thumb.jpg

Edited by 420ponies
spelling error

That’s the size of mine, sorry I didn’t specify.   I only know the difference it made over stock with my car and it was significant , but bigger ones may be even better.   

• 9 months later...

The results....... corners like a go cart now.  Hardly any body lean, and with the roads up here in upstate new york ,there are a lot of tight corners on our roads. Went with 1.250" on the front and 1"in the rear. UMI Performance was the place I got them.Now for coil overs front and rear for the stance. post-259-0-61935100-1474727657_thumb.jpg

• Like 1