Installing tach in instrument cluster

I'm trying to get all my mechanical to-do's done so that I can get my 72 Monte Carlo sprayed with the etching primer on the bare metal, and then finish it with the brand new paint job and vinyl top.

I just installed a brand new heater core in my A/C Monte, and now I'm ready to install the new tach in the dash. I was thinking of replacing the clock with the tach, and installing LED bulbs in the instrument cluster while I have it out.

Is this the best route to go, or as I've seen on the forum here, where others have installed new fuel, amp, and temp gauges? If I just change the clock out with the tach, is there a instrument cluster lense that can be purchased that doesn't have the hole in it for the clock adjustment knob?

Thanks,

Doug

I replaced my gauges with Dakota Digital but my car was no where near original when I bought it so I did the switch and love it. I had installed LEAD's long before the cluster switch and loved them also. I am glad I checked out the LED's before I put the dash back in because I had a couple of the in backwards and they will not work backwards.

I can't believe out of all of the MC owners here, that someone else has not replaced the clock with a tach in the dash. I'm trying to find out all the spots that I need to take loose to get the dash out far enough to get the instrument cluster out.

I removed the passenger side dash vent duct and found the 2nd mounting bolt and removed it.

There seems to be a spot in the middle of the lower dash or towards the instrument cluster that seems to be still attached. 

How do I access the speedo cable at the back of the cluster to disconnect it?

Any help would be greatly appreciated as my frustration is getting bigger trying to get this instrument cluster out.

Doug, I haven’t removed my cluster yet but it looks like you are trying what I hope to do later.  I have read that it’s easier to take out entire dashboard to get cluster out.  Here’s link to one video that I haven’t viewed in full yet as it’s for Shovelle but should be same as for GM A Body:

As far as I know there is no aftermarket lenses that has the clock stem filled in. Doing the stock style gauges ain’t cheap but can be done.

As for removal of the dash board there is two bolts next to the a-pillars, two under the dash by the kick panels, one above the steering column and one at the glove box. Once those are removed and the steering column is out of the way the whole dash will come out. Disconnect the battery, remove the headlight switch, and speedo cable. When you unplug the 12 pin plug you have a battery hot feed in that plug. Oh 

Thanks for the info guys!

I just had to remove the one bolt above the steering column and then carefully lift up just a little bit, and then the dash slid rearward to get the cluster out.

Luckily I already have the White 194 LED bulbs to put back into the dash.

So is the consensus here to just do the gauge conversion even for the price tag that it's at?

Doug, you have me a little confused. If you bought Sonnie's conversion kit, you normally get the tach that mounts where the large fuel gauge would be on a idiot light instrument cluster. When you install the conversion kit you will get the small fuel gauge that is used with a full gauge instrument cluster. Now you are going to have 2 fuel gauges in your dash if you mount a tach in the clock position. Why not just use the kit as it is intended? There are no reproduction lenses without the hole for the clock stem. If you intend on keeping your large fuel gauge, it will not work with the printed circuit board that comes with the kit for a full gauge dash. Your idiot light printed circuit board will not work either.

I already bought the tach separately last year, so I bought sonnie’s kit without the tach. I don’t need two tach’s. I will be doing the normal idiot light to gauges conversion when the parts show up.