Home Page  | How to Join  | Official Merchandise  | Western Meet | Eastern Meet | Meet Photos | Technical Info  | Museum  | Parts Sources  | Officers
sjmarsing

In Utah, at a crossroad

Here’s the story on my 1972 Monte Carlo: My dad bought this car brand new in 1972 in Ogden, UT. He was the original owner. He was getting ready to move from Utah to Arizona with my mom and my oldest sister who was 1 at the time. He told my mom if they were going to AZ they needed a car with A/C so they traded in their Malibu and got the Monte Carlo. He lived in AZ from 1972 to 1979 and had 2 more girls there. In 1979 I was born and then he moved up to the Seattle area. In 1984 my brother was born so dad bought a Chevy van to have room for the 7th person when we needed it, but for the most part the Monte Carlo was the family car throughout the 70’s and 80’s and into the 90’s. My dad had a degree in accounting so he was always pretty meticulous about the way he kept things but despite his best efforts; 5 kids, and 24 years does take its toll on a car, so in 1996 when the car had around 190,000 miles on it he had the interior redone; carpet, headliner, seats, door panels etc, and he had the engine rebuilt by Pro Car Inc. in Redmond, WA –they overhauled the 350 engine and bored it .030 over. This was all done in June of 1996. He never did have the car painted. He took good care of his 1 owner car although up close it showed all the years’ worth of dings and scratches that just happen using it as a daily driver. After the interior was done and the engine rebuilt I drove it my senior year of High school and put about 17,000 miles on it between 1996-1997. I graduated in June 1997 and that summer I went into the Marine Corps and the Monte Carlo went into the garage and for the most part its been sitting there ever since. The odometer now shows 7,550. (207,550) After my dad retired he moved back down to Utah where he started and had a car hauler bring the Monte down from Washington. After a few years in the dry Utah air the vinyl top started to split so we pulled it off. A couple of years ago a friend of mine who did a really nice job restoring his Chevelle said he’d help me sand down my Monte and get it ready to repaint so I stripped everything off of it: Bumpers, grill, chrome, took the glass out, bench seats, door panels,etc. We started sanding on it a little bit but didn’t make it very far before my friend got divorced and got busy with some other things and now doesn’t have time to help me out with it and I don’t have the experience to work on it unsupervised. So here it sits in my garage stripped down. I had a guy in town who does body work come out and look at it and he said he’d finish up the body and paint it for $10,000. So I’m at a crossroads now with this car. Do I put more and more money into it or do I sell it to someone for a fair price who has the experience to do it themselves for a lot cheaper or has the money to put into it? The transmission was rebuilt at one point in time but now has a leak to it, the starter grinds on the flywheel once in a while when you go to start it but it will start up and run.  I’m no mechanic so I don’t know how much work the front end would need if any. The pics are from the late 90’s when I was in the Marines, my dad took it out for some pics for the insurance company but like I said it doesn’t look like that right now-currently all stripped down and all the small parts in zip lock bags. The body is pretty straight, I think the worst part is around the bottom of the rear window. When I pulled the glass out it exposed some rotted metal from 20 years of rain in the Pacific Northwest also a little rot behind the rear wheels nothing too extreme. I’m really torn right now between the sentimental value and the cost and reality of putting it all back together. What would be a fair price for a Monte in this condition…. any ideas?

1.JPG

2.JPG

3.JPG

4.JPG

5.JPG

6.JPG

7.JPG

8.JPG

9.JPG

10.JPG

11.JPG

12.JPG

Unfortunately with the rust issues you have described and the fact that the car is disassembled you will not get much for the car the way it sits.  In reality depending upon how good of a body and paint man he is the price he has quoted you is not out of line.  Personally if I were you I would get her body and paint work done and put her back together.  Unfortunately you will get nothing for sentimental attachment.

All that said, Welcome aboard the madness here.

rob

Welcome!!!! Nice story. I vote for keeping it and getting it done however you can, because if you sell it you will always regret it.

Hey Spencer,

Welcome!!! Back in the day she was a nice ride! Glad you got to enjoy her! 

I agree with Rob. The way you described she sits, unfortunately you won't get much. 

Maybe look around your area, like at local car shows and see who does good work at a decent price. You never know. Good luck! 

I agree you'll be kicking yourself in the butt for years if you sell it.  Try and find someone around to get it done reasonable or start learning how to do some stuff on your own. Thank you for your service to this great country and welcome to the site. Good luck with your decision.

Great story. Project cars go for very little money and as stated you will not get much money in its current condition. Having owned mine for 23 years I have a lot of great memories and you have even more with your car. I can only imagine what the feeling would be like for you to drive your Monte again once it is restored. Well worth the wait to save up to restore it in my opinion. Keep us posted on your progress.

Have to agree with everyone else , keep it. Not very often you find a one owner vehicle, especially with the family attachment such as yours. You'll be sorry some day down the road if you sell it. Good luck & keep us posted!

I too would encourage you to keep the car. With it stripped down and undriveable right now it's hard to be enthusiastic but once it is finished the good memories will return. Body work and paint is expensive (for a reason). Is there a chance that you would be willing to carry on as much as you can? You might look into having the rust repaired professionally. What you have described the parts are available to replace the rusted parts. Then the rest is a lot of time and patience. Good luck with whatever you do decide

Welcome to the Club!! I've been down the same road, got mine and thought ,do I really want to do all the work on it and what would I have when finished. Well I'm here to say do the restore/build on it, you will not regret it. Also, that is a pretty rare color for a '72 and quite well optioned car from the pictures.post-259-0-93319100-1480263543_thumb.jpg   Nice pictures too!

I’m agreeing with what everyone is saying, I would keep it and learn how to work with body as I had zero experience with body but I’m making progress on my 1971.

sentimental value is something I shouldnt give up as I am still kicking myself for selling or giving things that belonged to my family or my Dad even though I have all of his tools :)

4 minutes ago, cny first gen 71 said:

Thats no where near as bad as I thought it was going to be. I say go for it. You said you have all the parts?

Every last one of them :)

Definitely a few patches needed but not too bad. Typical issues. There is a company that makes the rear window channels and the filler panel.

Spencer, I agree with other members. I thought it was going to be very bad.  That's not even close to what I started with. Have it done little at a time and use it in between. Again Nice car. 

Looks pretty good to me, you can always ship,it to me, I would gladly put it together.... But then I would have to keep it.. Good luck witn your project!!!!

1 hour ago, 71MonteCarloMD said:

Yes, can't find anyone around here to do the body work for a decent price I've even had body shops turn me down and say they wont touch it that they only want to deal with insurance companies on collision claims. The one estimate I had for 10,000 was painting it the same color it would be more to change color he said.  I really like the way this black one was done but I have to draw the line somewhere with it if I use it as a daily driver, needs  the tranny looked at, A/C, tires, etc

black.PNG