rear widow replacement

Guest mattlseventytwo

We just spent $60 and had a company called Safelite come out and reinstall ours, although after watching him we easily could have done it ourselves.

We removed it ourselves when we were preparing to paint, here is a breakdown of what we did.

I would suggest if you haven't already done so buy yourself a trim removal tool...this will save your trim from getting bent up. It lays flat against the car and releases the trim from the clips.

Then you will need a windshield/glass removal tool...it kind of has a bent blade that will slip under the glass and has a cable pull type handle that allows you to break the seal that is left between the car and the glass by pulling it around the window. Be careful especially around the corners.

I am sure that you will find alot of rot around your window ledge when you remove your glass as it seems to be a very common problem and ours required areas to be cut out and patched back in. (See the post in this forum regarding OPINIONS for pictures of what we replaced.)

Once you are ready to reinstall the window you will need to buy some new clips to hold the molding in and put them in place first. Then 3M sells the sealant....it seemed to be a 3 step process, first he put two different things on the window itself, (my husband said he thinks one was an activator and were really not sure about the other, but I am sure where ever you buy the 3M stuff they can tell you.) then guy put a good thick bead of the black window seal down.

Next he laid the window in place and then reinstalled the trim.

Hopefully this helped you a little bit.

Jaylene

There is a primer they use to make sure the Urethane will stick to the body.The Urethane is hard to remove from your fingers. You need to make sure you remove most of the old adhesive without going to the bare metal.A new single edge razor blade works good to remove it.I would prefer to let the glass guy do it.

There is a primer they use to make sure the Urethane will stick to the body.

Yeah thats probably one of the first two things he put on...the applicator reminded me of the kind that comes on PVC primer thats used for sprinkler pipes. It was a little fuzzy ball on the end of a wire attached to the cap.

Oh Mike was with Jim...."Let the glass guy do it"

Jaylene

If you do it yourself it's critical that the window is centered in the opening, up and down and side to side. They have little wedges that keep the window from sliding down too far. Trim won't go on properly if window is not centered.