Monte's new stroker progress

72MC

Remember Dave Rat's eat mice as a snack and then go looking for BB Ford's and Mopar's for a full meal. Just kiddin ya. We haven't talked in a while, but that combo sounds as if it will be pretty darn stout. After you are done we need to do some more laps around BMSW. What rear gear are you going to use? Hopefully with an overdrive it's at least a 3.73 ratio. Just a thought, but a company called Gear Star(same company as Yank convertors) builds a 200r4 that can take anything you can throw at it. It costs $5K, but if you can't break it, it's a small price to pay. A 200r4 doesn't have the big 1/2 ratio split that a 700r4 has. When my 700r4 gives it up I'm thinking about one for my beast. By the time you ad the Gear Venders unit you will have $5K in your tranny setup and it will be much heavier than the 200r4 unit. Just a thought. I'd also look into it and see if K&N doesn't have a 16" air cleaner assembly for a 4150 style carb. If not and you go with a 14" unit be sure to get the Extreem lid for max airflow. I now have a 16" assembly with an insert to adapt a 14" Extreem lid. My air cleaner assembly now flows more cfm than my dominator can pull. I look forward to seeing your setup all completed by the Eastern Meet. If you need any help over a weekend give mee a call. I'd be glad to help put this beast together. You all are right in saying Don is the key. Although Don didn't build my 489 his advise was intrumental in the power numbers that it has today. There are not to many N/A pump gas motors putting down 534hp to the wheels that you can drive everyday if you are so inclined. As far as the 496 thing goes I'd like more info on this. My AFR 315CNC heads work real well with the combo I have, but if I ever punch out to 496 I need to know if I still have enough airflow, or do I need 325/335 AFR's. Dave you will suprise a lot of stock BB's out there with this beast. Remember that it's always open season for tuners. Take care. Greg

Guest Rice Racing1

Greg if you stay at the same comp ratio and cam you will be fine as the increase in bore will allow the heads to work slightly better. The larger port heads will want more comp and cam to milk out the max power. The hp gain would only be 7 or 8 HP from the extra bore with the current combo. Staying with the current rpm limits we maybe could gain 20ish hp with a head and matching cam swap. No way would it be worth the $$$$$ to me. If you ever want more I would change blocks reuse the crank and rods but step up to a 4.5" bore with the 335cnc AFR's then we'd spec out a new stick for that deal.

Again what you have is one of the best stroked 454 deals on the road, run it till it's tired and then move on.

I just realized I haven't seen any pics of your car now or ever heard any sound bite of how it sounds. How about some when you get a chance.

I have a house full of family(inlaws) in from out of state for Thanksgiving so I took a couple of personal days at the wifes request.LOL

Dave, lookin good! Keep us up to date!! Dave I lost my sheet on the cam for your set up, would you email me the specs(as it dosen't exist in the comp catalog) so I can put it in your file. Yes, I try to keep files even on the stuff I rec to you guys even if I don't build it just in case.

Don

I need to get some pics and a sound bite as well. Right now as far as anybody knows I'm just blowing smoke up you all's backside. Problem is my son broke my digital camera by accident. I'm hoping Santa might bring me one this year. Thanks Don for saying That I have one of the best stroked deals out there. If I ever did move up to 496 it would be with higher compression, but given what you have said here I'll probably just freshen the block and sell it and move on to a Big M block. I'm still thinking about the LSX route as well. A small block capable of supporting 2,500hp sounds pretty awesome to me. With the right combo and setup I'm wondering how far you could go on pump gas with an LSX and keep it part time street and still have good low end grunt?

Scott you got me all wrong. I like small blocks. Just not 350/355 stockers. I'm actually considering a small block for my future project. It will even have a GM production block. Just a little LSX block capable of supporting 454 CID and 2,500hp. It won't be a FGMC, but it will be a Chevy. Most likely a 65 malibu, or something along those lines. Small, lighter, and older. I'm even considering something from the early to mid 40's. It would be awesome to have all that power, technology, and fuel economy in something really old school.

Guest Rice Racing1

454 Lsx at around 700 hp Na with a TKO 600 in the 65 with all the suspesion goodies! I've thinking of a l92 6.2 liter(ls based)aluminum block turbo deal with a 4l80e in a non t-top mid 80's monte SS with all the suspension goodies myself. 1000+hp 28 ish mpg with A/C and cruise! Take curves and corners like a new ZO6 vette to boot! All black no decals and limo tint on all the windows and vanity plate that reads "BITEME"!!!!

Don