More PICS of my never ending frame off

1972mc

Check out the progress of my 1st restoration. I have never had so much fun as I've had this past year working on my baby. The help everyone in the club has been invaluable and I only hope that I'll be able to help out some of you guys (and girls) as my learning curve goes up. Please ask me any questions as to what has been done or how it was done.

Thanks everybody and I plan to see everyone in PA in 08!!

Carl

http://www.cardomain.com/id/carl1972monte

After much waffling (and no definite decision, as I have not purchased paint--yet, I will have it painted either:

*gunmetal grey

*House of colors pearl black

*house of color pearl black with original code 48 green (not sure of the ratio)

*graphite grey

Made the desision to change partially because someone else in Charlottesville restored a 72 with code 48 green. Even though he totally screwed it up with a heavy heavy metal flake. Looks like a bass boat up close!!!!

Since i purchased all the interior green components before making this decision, I am somewhat limited. Wish I had held off so that I could have converted interior to black. But Oh well-that's life!!

Looking great Carl! It has come a long way.

Looks like there will be some incredible cars in PA next summer!

I cannot wait to see them all!! smile

Man the degree of restoration going on here leaves me speachless.

When I show up at the Eastern meet in my "unrestored" car I'm gonna feel intimidated... frown

I will be looking for ideas though, snapping lots of pictures and not feeling guilty using peoples ideas on my car... wink

This is one that you copied as you said...I too will use it on my car... grin

Bill

2918129_6_full.jpg

Steve,

Just looked at your website and the blue Monte that you restored and sold. Oh my God that was the most awesome frame off I have ever seen. I am speechless, and can't believe you would sell it. Who knows, maybe I would sell mine after finishing it-for the right price. The paint looked like glass over the very straight panels.

How did you put the car body back on the frame and what type of color coded sport mirrors did you put on? Did you upgrade brakes for the 18", or modify front/rear wheel wells?

Very impressive-now I'll go back and look at the rest of your 4 speed project.

Nice web site too

Carl

Hey Carl,

Thanks.

Unfortunately, everything has it's price.....lol.

To get the body back on the frame I just called all my local (friends) club members and friends to lifted it back on. It takes about 12-15 guys to move the shell around.

I never got around to upgrading the brakes although I did have plans. I only had to trim the outside edge of the quarters to make the rear tires fit. If I had gone with a 5 1/2" backspacing rather than just 5" on the 9 1/2 inch rims I wouldn't have had to do that either (live and learn).

The sport mirrors are off of a 1977 Monte. You'll need to drill holes on the side of the door to mount them but it's not a big deal. You will need to make a support plate for inside the doors. You won't want to nut it down straight to the sheet metal (not enough support).

Steve