In the 11'S!

John Burns

Just got back from Cecil County Dragway (MD)- good air and a handful of changes got me a 11.975 @ 112.38! So very happy- the last time (a year? ago) it went 12.4 at 110. (Then I hopped into that blue car next to the Monte in my avatar and ripped off a 10.77 @ 125.83- but that is for a different website wink ). Awesome day!

cool, love the the best et posts cool

well, if that's how you feel ... :>

last time I was at the strip with a tired QJET and a 700r4 that wouldn't shift into 3rd... with a new engine, and new gears & posi.. I moved my best time from 14.8somthing down to 14.583 @ 94 mph. I actully gave up nearly a full mph to take that extra .3 seconds.. but I'm guess that's from not being able to get into 3rd gear soon enough smile

Thats some good news huh?? Sounds like a fun time. I have been wanting to take mine up to Cecil for a while now, I just dont want to break anything eek Ill have to let you know when and if I decide to go up, maybe meet up with you there.

Nice work!

We changed a bunch of things but the funny thing is, the main reason was to try to make the horrendous exhaust resonance go away. We knew any of these changes would probably help to make more power, but if the exhaust wasn't so bad, we probably never would have touched the car.

We changed the mufflers from dynomax to magnaflows (just from seat-of-the pants I think that alone was worth a couple of tenths); changed the location of the crossover in the exhaust system; changed the cam (it now has a 530/558/246/254/114- it had a 520/520/244/244/114- doesn't look much different, but desperation had set in); new valve springs (ALWAYS be sure your valve springs are happy!); new rocker arms (stamped steel to roller tip); and the final change, and the one that pains me the most but cured the resonance: exhaust headers- I miss the manifolds!!!

The basic combo: 454 w/iron Merlin oval ports; 350 turbo with a 2400 B&M converter; 3:31 gears.

If this picture thing will work for me, here is the mill- no yawning! Not much eye-candy here, just how I like it! And we run it with that air cleaner (no filter):

b1e.jpg

I can never get the MSN pics to work anymore. Looks great though

Thanks! I can't the big pix to work- hmmm? How far are you from Cecil? I understand not wanting to break stuff, but these Monte's are tough- they can handle it! smile

• 2 weeks later...

Hey JRB - I saw your cam specs. Is that a comp cam hydraulic?

With that kind of duration, how does it affect your power brakes? I have 230 duration a .050 and my brakes are suffering as it is.

The cam is a solid flat tappet, but I can't remember the company; maybe Crower or Lunati- gotta ask my bro. (Hey I'm curious- do you want to stay away from a solid cam?)

As for the power brakes... let me start by saying this cam was in my Camaro, with power brakes, and it was fine. (The Camaro now has a hydraulic roller with even more duration and the brakes are perfect.) I think the booster in the Monte is fragged because, if I remember correctly, it would occasionally get unhappy even with the stock small block. I'm looking to replace the booster this winter.