How do I install TH350 kickdown cable properly?

ChevroletR

Hello, I have a Edelbrock AVS 650 carb on my 350 in my Monte and I already broke my first kickdown cable right there at the carb. I guess I had it on wrong. I have the cable that has a long slot down it and I put it on by putting a small nut and bolt through it and the carb linkage (same thingy on the carb as with the throttle) but I tightened it to keep it from moving. Someone told me it needs to slide back and fourth but I found even at WOT, its not enough to even budge the kickdown in the trans to kick to passing gear. Can anyone offer any advice to help me with this? Does anyone have any pictures that I could see to see a kickdown cable setup? I'd appreciate any help, thanks.

Ryan Washington

Ryan ....you need to look at the carb you took off. see how far the original hook up point is from the center of the carb shaft . measure the offset if you know what i am saysing.also on the original try to measure the total travel of the pin where the cable hooks up . you need to match as best you can the new carb mounting point , so its like the original . some times the carb company actually sell a kit to make hookup simple for different applications .i'd check with Edelbrock first .

after you have that done then adjust the cable correctly .

mike

I think Mike is right, go to edelbrock.com, you will find the connection or extension kit you might need, I've seen it there before, also summitracing.com is selling it too.

• 1 month later...

Thanks for the info, I broke mine. Dummy me thought I could adjust the cable at the carb end and snapped that part off from the rest of the cable.

When I bought the car the cable was not connected so I hocked it up and tested it. When I went to full throttle the carb connection never extended enough to pull the cable. I put a wrench to it too adjust the cable and snapped the connecter clean off. Then I went and read the Haynes Manual.

• 3 years later...

The slot in the cable is designed to SLIDE back and forth on the stud on the carb arm. the idea being that you release the lock on the cable, pull it all the way back, then grab the throttle and pull it full open, and it will adjust the cable into position. That's how it supposed to work in theory.. I've f ound I always needed to pull the cable a bit tighther by hand to get it where I wanted it.

on a TH350, no.. you can leave the kickdown cable totally disconnected. it does nothing but control shift points. (WOT and 'detent' downshifts)

on a TH350 the vacuum modulator controls shift firmness.. and by nature of it's design, if it's disconnected, the trans goes to 'wot' mode all the time.. VERY hard, VERY late shifts (ask me how I know)

on a 700r4 with a "TV Cable" (not kickdown) yes, not having it adjusted right can quickly wipe the clutches out from too little line pressure. a 700r4 does not use a vacuum modulator.

• 6 years later...