Help. How do I polish plastic lenses?

WHITE KNIGHT 71

More specifically, how do I polish the red and amber parking lights? I'm putting all the lenses on now for my frame off, so a timely response is most appreciated. Is there a trick, or just something I may have around the house I can use? Thanks ahead of time for the response.

Guest Evil Austin

FLITZ IT ! Haha just kidding, 3M has a plastic polish, if you have a buffer wheel just coat that in the 3M and nice and easy until it polishes out !

Good luck,

-EA

I went to a Plastics place and purchased a plastic rubbing compound and a plastic polish/wax called something like Brillianize. I would also recommend using a micro fiber cloth rather than a normal shop rag. It also works great on the dash cluster.

Mike

I've had amazing results with Meguiar's two step process. There's a plastic cleaner, followed by a polish. Used with a dremel on low speed, I've made faded lenses crystal clear and swirl free. If your lenses are already in decent shape, I use a microfiber cloth instead of the dremel. I rarely see these products in stores. . .you may have to order them directly from Meguiar's.

Jeff

I use simichrome polish for my Dodge headlight lenses and it should work fine for your turn & tail lenses. Heck, it even works great at polishing metal. It's one of those products that my shop is never without.

http://www.competitionchemicals.com/simichrome/simichro.html

I have used this on a lot of plastic products. It wont get deep scratches out, but it does a great job of protecting and covering small scratches. I got it at the motorcycle shop for my front windshield.

http://www.plexusplasticcleaner.com/frames.html

Ian

Guest OddTodd72

I have heard great things about a product called Novus. You don't see it much in stores but there are a bunch of auctions on ebay, just type in Novus in the ebay search box.

I polished my girlfriends plastic headlights awhile back with Mother's metal polish and they went from a yellow haze to looking brand new...actually can see better at night. I also polished my back up light lenses with it... smile

Bill

mot-05101_w.jpg

DO I JUST USE THE MOTHER'S AND A CLOTH? OR SOMETHING LIKE A DREMMEL TOOL?

Just a cloth rag. I was hesitant to try it myself but the headlights were so bad it couldn't hurt...when I saw how well it worked I used it on my stuff, I forgot I also used it on my trucks headlights and my front clear plastic license plate cover...and every once in awhile I use it on my wheels... lol

Bill