vigilight / light monitoring system?

Guest kamet

just how rare of an option is it on 70 monte caros? from what i could find on it, 70 was the last year it was available?

its RPO U46

thanks, doug

Hi Doug,

According to my "Chevrolet SS Muscle Car Red Book", it lists the U46 Lamp Monitoring ("Vigilight" light sentinel system) option as being installed in 5,755 '70 Chevelles and Monte Carlos. Unfortunately, the two models are combined as far as option production figures, so I can't say for sure how many Monte Carlos specifically came with the option. I don't think it would be too far-fetched to split the number approximately in half between the Chevelle and Monte Carlo or perhaps tip a few more to the Monte Carlo. Using that scenario, you're looking at a ballpark figure of some 3,000+ '70 Monte Carlos with the option. Chevelles had a higher production number than Monte Carlos, but I would guess that a higher percentage of Monte Carlos had the option than Chevelles did.

Also according to the "Red Book", the Vigilite Lamp Monitoring option was installed in 2,757 '68 Chevelles and 2,041 Chevelles in '69.

Yes, '70 was the last year for the option - which was available on many Chevrolet models from '68-'70. My '70 SS454 has it, but I believe the rear package tray had been replaced before I bought the car and whoever did so didn't bother with re-installing the aft portion of the system. I know that club VP Rob Peters' '70 is also equipped with the fairly rare option.

Hope this is of help,

Dave

P.S. - I see this is your first post. Welcome to the FGMCC! smile

hey dave,

Thanks for the info, I was curious because I was looking at a 70 Monte Carlo that was for sale that has it. So it got me a bit more interested in it. The guy that has it didn't really know anything about them, it seems like he had just bought it to re-sell it. I'd be sold on it but it has the usual rust around the vinyl top. Since I've never owned an older car before I'm nervous about getting myself into something i have no knowledge of fixing. I've never welded/done body work before, etc. Although other then that i didn't see a spot of rust on it. The odometer said 70k and from looking at it I'd assume that they are original. Yea, it my first post. I've browsed FGMMC for a while now. I've been looking to pick up a '70 or '71 for awhile now.

Nygel, it has fiber optic lines running from your lights (head/turn/parking) to indicators on your front fenders and rear windshield tray. Its kinda cool, I'd link you to some pictures but I haven't been able to really find any good ones.

Hey Doug,

Welcome to the boards. Where about in California are you located?

If you can give us an idea of what it is you are looking for...you know like options, colors, price range...etc. I scan Craigslist all the time...so if I see something I'll let you know.

Jaylene

You're welcome for the info, Doug. Good luck with your Monte purchase! smile

NYGEL - To elaborate a little more about your question...

The indicators on the top of the front fenders are small chrome housings mounted about 6" back from the leading edges. On the back sides (facing the interior) are where you can see the little round circles (they look kind of like round LEDs and are fed their light via the fiber optic lines) glowing to indicate when lights are on. As mentioned in my previous post, the aft portion of my system isn't complete - but I believe the rear housing (for monitoring tail lights) was black and it was mounted on the rear package tray. It would be visible to the driver without having to turn around as he/she looked into the rearview mirror - as long as a passenger wasn't sitting in the center of the rear seat.

I don't remember paying much attention to the housings on the fenders of my car when I bought it, and then one night when I was out in it I noticed the little round circles glowing. Not long after that I noticed that the passenger side wasn't glowing anymore, so I checked and sure enough - that headlight was out!

Dave

Doug,

My car has the entire system and it is fully operational. The ones on the front fenders monitor the headlights and the turn signal/parking lights. The part mounted on the package tray had three monitor dots... two red ones for the brake/turn signal/parking lights (one left side and one right side) and one in the middle which monitored the license plate light.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest kamet

thanks for all the info guys.

Jaylene, yea, I'm all over craigslist. I'm up near sacramento. i try to check it as much as possible, i just had a one owner 65k original miles 72 Monte Carlo snatched up from under my nose for less than $2k.

if i only didn't have work... i could have gotten to it.