MSD Ignition

Guest JCarlton21

Allan,

Supposedly, if you provide your cam info they will curve a distributor specifically for your application. As I mentioned, a friend of mine bought one and he said that he definately could tell a difference in response but hasn't ran it at the track since the upgrade.

Mike

in my case, I'm not using the HEI coil-in-cap.. I have a 'coil elminator' that is just a dust cover with a brass contact to the rotor and a coil tower... so coil failure isn't an issue.

my swap reasons are two fold.. a) my hei dist is from 1977,, it's old. it's worn out, i dont' think it's really providing the correct advance curve anymore.

B) it takes up too much room.. with the small cap type dist, I can put the coil on the intake manifold and elimiate the excessively long coil wire.

c) i just thought about this too. the MSD provides adjustable advance rates and amounts ... the stock hei i can only tailor the advance rates easily.

Understand , but have you had problems with an upgraded coil as well? Not arguing with you but you still have to find a place to mount the remote coil. Personally, I haven't heard too many negative issues with them so I was just checking to see if anyone has had any or knows of any performance problems.

Thanks Allan,

Mike

here's what I did for now mike.. when I get my small cap dist. in, I'm going to mount the coil in the 'stock' monte location on the intake manifold next to the dist :>

MSDside.jpg

Sea Mist green, I love it! My 70 is an original Sea Mist but it was cheaply painted dark green when I bought it.

Anyway, thanks for the pics I am still torn on whether or not to switch to a small cap or upgrade the HEI. Either way, I have time to decide since I need tranny work first.

Mike

Yea, like I mentioned, I have a cheap paint job too and where they didn't remove the trim you can see sea mist showing around the edges. All in due time, I have only had the vehicle for like 2 months at the most.

I am in Titusville, I saw a silver 70 or 71 in town the other day with a cowl hood. It looked real nice but I didn't catch up to it to talk to him. I am going to a local car show here tonight and there are supposed to be quite a few cars so maybe I will see it there.

Allan,

Sounds good to me, I spoke with Ian about that and, on my side just south of me, is Mike (club member) who is in Palm Bay.

I grew up in Tampa and your profile doesn't mention where you are located but it sounds like you are close to Ian.

Anyway, I have my interrior completely stripped out and I have to get my tranny rebuilt before I can drive it. Should have it back on the road in a few months hopefully.

I'm hearing that my msd 7al maybe too much for my rebuilt 402. Is the 7AL for racing or track vehicles...Someone mentioned that a 6al provides 6 to 8 sparks to the plugs in a minute but the 7 al provides 40 to 50 sparks a minute which will just burn the plugs up in a cruiser..in about a week in a half...If so I have a MSD 7al for sell or will trade for a 6al...

Most guys running the 7AL box are race car guys, and you're going to have to upgrade your coil to the expensive one (MSD part 8251 or 8261) which is the HVC line of coils. I would say its overkill for your application.

Because the box you have is worth good money, I would say go with the digital 6 plus, thats a box that you can grow into as you upgrade your ignition system.