Building up the charging system

Chevyss

The regulator tells the alternator what to do, so I'd think you could turn it up from there?

Now if the regulator is sending the message: "full steam ahead!", and you still aren't getting output from the alternator....then you have an alternator problem.

Some of the auto parts stores have a flat little gizmo that plugs into the wiring harness in place of the regulator, and it hardwires the alternator to charge "full tilt" for the purpose of testing.

[Does anyone have one of these or know what it's called? I couldn't find a link for one]

swap to an internal regulated alternator. takes only a few minutes, and very minor change in the wiring.

use can use anything from the 80's GM. If you want a little more output and better charging at idle, and don't mind some minor fabrication.. swap to a CS-130 alternator (you will find the right alt for a 1986 AStro van 110A alt)

it should bolt in, but it really needs to run with a poly-v belt (basicly like a serpentine belt, but it is routed like your normal alt. belt) if you are going to push the alt to all 110A

the CS130 charges better at idle then other alts. but MOST cs130 apps don't use the 180° mounting lugs like our old-school engines do. (this is why i say use the '86 astro van as your application)