Home Page  | How to Join  | Official Merchandise  | Western Meet | Eastern Meet | Meet Photos | Technical Info  | Museum  | Parts Sources  | Officers
502ci

Wheel and Tire data base.

The 25" height might help if your car sits high, but why do you want such a short tire?  285/40-17 is 26" diameter, the 25" tire is your front tire choice.

I have 17x8 with 4.5" backspace in the rear with 255/50-17 tires and I doubt that I could fit 275s back there without trimming the lip.

I changed my front suspension from stock control arms with viking coil over shocks to SPC upper and lower control arms (SPC lower control arms drop the height 1 inch) with the same  viking coil over shocks. The height of the shocks are adjustable to a point. They still need a certain amount of travel . To get the ride height and look I want is why I was thinking of going with the shorter tire. 

The Tires I have all around right now are 245-60-15  =  26.6 tall   9.6  Wide .  If the car is lower I was thinking of getting a shorter tire to get the same look as the attached picture.  The rims I am looking at only Come in 17 x 8 inch  with 4.5 backspace. The do have 18 x 9 with 5.25  backspace but I did not want to go with 18's. Thought they were too big.    

post-44-0-80211300-1522767458_thumb.jpg

I was also thinking this size. I just dont know what width tire will fit on an 8 inch with 4.5 backspace with out being too wide for the rim. 

245-45-17   25.7  tall = front tires    9.6 wide     
265-45-17   26.4  tall = rear tires    10.4 wide  

post-44-0-01944500-1522768213_thumb.png

After finding the wheels I really wanted and they  were just to Expensive 900.00 each rim I decided on an alternative although I could not get the rim width at 9 or 9.5 like I wanted they only make them in 8's. The alternative needed to be powder-coated to create the look I wanted. Before purchasing them I took pictures to the Powered Coater to verify it could be done and he agreed it could be. I purchased the rims and took them to the powder coater. There was a problem and it wast the powder coaters fault.  I wanted the face of the wheel Black and I wanted the rim of the wheel to stay Polished Aluminum. I also wanted the  Oval/kidney bean window outline to be Polished Aluminum.  After purchasing the wheels and bringing to him he noticed the Oval/kidney bean window outline was not a defined hard outline like the pictures seemed to show. The Oval/kidney bean window outline was contoured and he could not do the outline , he was afraid the powder would just pull up. So we agree just to have the inside of the Oval/kidney bean stay polished.  Moral of the story.  The wheels came out nice.. Sometimes its better to pony up and get what you really want. I do wish the rears were wider but I only have an 8 inch Rim..

Rims  17 x 8  - 4.5 Backspace on all four rims

..................................................................................................

Fronts   245-45-17   BF-Goodrich   ( Could have gone 255)

Rears    255-45-17   BF-Goodrich

post-44-0-28608100-1535385877_thumb.jpg

post-44-0-71749300-1535385891_thumb.jpg

post-44-0-93750100-1535385902_thumb.jpg

post-44-0-10961700-1535385913_thumb.jpg

Rims  17 x 8  - 4.5 Backspace on all four rims

..................................................................................................

Fronts   245-45-17   BF-Goodrich   ( Could have gone 255)

Rears    255-45-17   BF-Goodrich

car looks beautiful mate! I've just painted my 71 a similar blue (excuse the terrible photo)

i'm running 15 x 7 black steel wheels with 225/60 on the front and 255/70 on the rear.. I don't have them on in this photo though.

gallery_image_chevblue.jpg

good morning all, a happy day today.  Didn't know I could dance....   

wheels are Cragar 390C 10 in rear and 8 inch front

tires are Nitto 555-G2 275/50-17 rear and 245/45-17 front.     

fit great and could have gone 245/50-17 with room to spare on the front....

IMG_0588.jpg

IMG_0589.jpg

IMG_0590.jpg

IMG_0592.jpg

IMG_0594.jpg

IMG_0595.jpg

Wheels - 15 x 7 black steel wheels with 0 offset

Tires - BFG radial T/As 225/60 front, 255/70 rear

Original suspension in the front, new springs and air shocks in the rear.

I love the stance but I'm thinking about lowering it 2 inches all around

IMG_9721.JPG

IMG_9720.JPG

chev.jpg

Car looks great, I  like the stance on it  now.. It is all personal preference what you like. One thing to watch  I see you said "0" offset but what is the backspace?  I had 15 x 8 with 0 offset & 4 inch backspace all around. With the 4 inch back space my wheels were further out towards the fender well chrome... Watch the front wheel on the top of the wheel well.  Where it curves back down and there is a bolt there.  Mine was close and rubbed once in a while...

4 hours ago, snomobeelr said:

Car looks great, I  like the stance on it  now.. It is all personal preference what you like. One thing to watch  I see you said "0" offset but what is the backspace?  I had 15 x 8 with 0 offset & 4 inch backspace all around. With the 4 inch back space my wheels were further out towards the fender well chrome... Watch the front wheel on the top of the wheel well.  Where it curves back down and there is a bolt there.  Mine was close and rubbed once in a while...

Cheers mate, I love how it has that nose down stance... if it's a 70s muscle car it's got to have that rake.

The 0 offset must be the Aussie way of saying 4" backspace. I had 15x8 rallys on it before and i did get a little bit of rubbing on the rear around hard corners sometimes and that was with 255/60s on it... no problems at all with the 255/70s on the 15x7... very happy with how they fit in there.

Anyone know what the Widest tire you can mount on a 17 x 8 wheel?  I like my wheels but when I hit 2nd she just spins. Now wondering If I need a different size rim ?  

Fronts  245-45-17

Rears   245-55-17  Just spins.   

15 hours ago, snomobeelr said:

Anyone know what the Widest tire you can mount on a 17 x 8 wheel?  I like my wheels but when I hit 2nd she just spins. Now wondering If I need a different size rim ?  

Fronts  245-45-17

Rears   245-55-17  Just spins.   

I am not familiar with tires bigger than 15' so I can not help you there.

How old are your tires? An older tire even a few years old gets harder as it dries out, this will cause it to spin more easily. Proper air pressure helps a bit. They make sticky tires in the 17" range, you get what you pay for unfortunately (not saying that is what you did)...cheaper may be fine for most but when someone is looking for performance out of their tire you got to spend the $$$.

Also I would like to point out wider is not always the answer...a properly tuned suspension helps.

If your car is making enough power of course your tires will spin regardless, that is why people at the track even have to heat up their slicks to make them stick 😉

On 10/9/2018 at 11:06 AM, snomobeelr said:

On 10/9/2018 at 4:00 PM, ZeroMick said:

Cheers mate, I love how it has that nose down stance... if it's a 70s muscle car it's got to have that rake.

The 0 offset must be the Aussie way of saying 4" backspace. I had 15x8 rallys on it before and i did get a little bit of rubbing on the rear around hard corners sometimes and that was with 255/60s on it... no problems at all with the 255/70s on the 15x7... very happy with how they fit in there.

0 offset on an 8" wheel would be 4.5" backspacing.  Backspacing is calculated using the width of the bead area as well, so an 8" wheel would use 9" as the total width.  -12 offset would be 4" backspacing on the same wheel.

EDU_wheel-offset-backspacing-conversion-

Hello,   Rims and Tires were New at the Beginning of last Summer. Tires are BF-Goodrich G-Force Sport Tires (Cheap  😉).  Its not off the line, but when shifting from 2nd to 3rd gear she just spins .