Is it just me??

On my 70 monte, I don't have the ability to turn my ignition key back while the car is off to just turn on the radio and/or accessories. I can turn it forward but the ignition light comes on so I assume the coil would heat up if I listen to it this way. Is it my column that is screwed up or are all 70 montes this way?

It might just be your tumblers in the ignition switch are going bad.

I know my 72' did that exact same thing for a while and replacing it fixed it.

I have also heard that you can burn up your points this way.

You are both correct regarding your points. If you leave your ignition in the on position and the engine is not running, it can "burn up" your points. The only way this happens is if the points are closed with the ignition on and the engine halted. The term Burn Up can also mean the points are fused together. With the points closed, ignition on and engine ont running to open and close the points there is power to the points and they can heat up enough to fuse (mealt)together. If the fusing occurs, the car will not start because the points can not open and close to create a spark between them and if they just burn badly but not fuse together it can create a poor contact point on the points and either cause the engine to not run or cause it to run poorly.

As stated by montecarlo350, the tumbler may be bad but also it may be that the key is just badly worn enough so it can not properly turn the ignition tumbler. The cheapest thing is if you have another set of keys with the ignition key being in good shape see if it works. You may need to change the entire ignition switch tumbler assembly as stated by montecar350.

70 Monte's had a problem with the ignition key wearing faster than the 71 and 72 Monte. If I am not mistaken, in 1971 the door key was the same as the trunk and glove box key (the key with the rounded head) and in 1970 the ingition key and the door key were one in the same and the trunk and glove box key was different. With the 70 using the same key for the door lock and the ignition, it caused the ignition key to wear out twice as fast.

Sorry for the long post to answer your question, I'm sure it is more information than you really needed. I do hope the information helped.

Rob

Thanks for the responses(good info). I guess it's a good thing I changed over to an HEI distributor. Doesn't sound like points would appreciate the abuse (not that the coil would either). The issue of 70 montes using the same key for the door and ignition may explain why I have separate keys for the trunk, doors and ignition!(I believe I am the 3rd owner so they must have worn out). I have no spare keys(I know, not smart) so I will probably go ahead and change the ignition switch and tumblers.

Thanks again!

1971 MC's square key opens door locks and ignition ; rounded key opens trunk and glove box.

Thanks Houdini.... My mistake, I thought the key thing was just one of the many things with the first gen Monte that was changed between 70 and 71. Thanks for the correction.

Rob