Modified my Stock Horseshoe shifter

mc71454

Modifed it to lock into each gear like a hurst 1/4 stick and not slide into 3rd or neutral when "bangin" gears.

Easy Mod if anyone is interested I have pic and instructions.

For Forward normal pattern...

1. Move your shifter from 1st to 2nd making sure it is not under any tension and is positively in 2nd gear

2. Then using a fine tip sharpie scribe a line on the plate with one on each side of the shifter latch.

3. Take a cutoff wheel or even a dremel tool with a coarse cutoff wheel and make a notch for the shifter latch to fall into just like the other notches in the plate.

Now you can bang the shifter from first to second.

4. Now when you want to go to 3rd you need to lift the latch and go forward. In order to stop it from going into neutral you need to weld a small piece of bar stock on the inside of the shifter. Make the piece large enough that you will need to grind out the next notch to engage and hold third.

I made this piece a little taller than needed so i could grind it down to where I wanted it and make a deeper notch to make it harder to slip past 3rd

5. You need to now move the shifter to 3rd and make another notch into the piece you just welded on just llike the first one you made. I stepped the notch so that in order to go from 2nd to 3rd it was normal depth, but made it so I had to really squeeze the handle make the latch go all the way up to get out of 3rd and clear to neutral.

Here is a picture of the Final Product before painting with the shifter in PARK..Any questions just drop me a note.

Hope this is helpful..

shiftermod.JPG

That is so cool!!! I'm gonna try and work this little project in over the long weekend!. Thanks for posting Tom. Maybe this could be made a sticky. Lots of people over the years have wanted a mod. BTW Good luck heading to the track. I know it has been a long road to recovery from your accident.

David

That is so cool!!! I'm gonna try and work this little project in over the long weekend!. Thanks for posting Tom. Maybe this could be made a sticky. Lots of people over the years have wanted a mod. BTW Good luck heading to the track. I know it has been a long road to recovery from your accident.

David

Thanks Dave, I appreciate that. Good luck with the mod this weekend

Tom

• 2 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

I just did a similar mod to my shifter- love it! Thanks for the idea. And get this- just found this at the Parts Place:

AUTOMATIC LOCKING SHIFTER DETENT PLATE

YOU CAN NOW CONVERT YOUR HORSESHOE SHIFTER TO A SLAP STICK. FIRST TIME AVAILABLE, REPLACE YOUR STOCK SHIFTER DETENT PLATE IN YOUR HORSESHOE SHIFTER WITH THIS LOCKING PLATE. WILL WORK ON CARS EQUIPPED WITH HORSESHOE SHIFTERS; WORKS WITH TH350 AND TH400 TRANSMISSIONS. THIS PLATE WILL ALLOW YOU TO MANUALLY SHIFT YOUR AUTOMATIC WITHOUT ACCIDENTALLY SKIPPING A GEAR. THIS DETENT HAS A POSITIVE LOCK; IT LOCKS 1-2-DRIVE.

THIS PLATE ALLOWS YOU TO USE A POWER GLIDE OR TURBO 350/400 SHIFTER AND CONVERT IT TO BE A POSITIVE LOCKING SHIFTER FOR A 3 SPEED TRANSMISSION. THIS NEW HARDENED STEEL DETENT IS A PATENTED DESIGN AND IS NOW AVAILABLE FROM US HERE AT THE PARTS PLACE. COMES COMPLETE WITH INSTALLATION INSTRUCTIONS.

70-72 CP3313Z: AUTOMATIC LOCKING SHIFTER DETENT PLATE TURBO 350 / 400 $75

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Here is a photo of the patented shift detent plate.

CP3313Z.JPG

From what I can figure from the way this thing is made, it looks as if you pull the lever all the way back into LOW gear, and then you squeeze and hold the lever as you shift into 2nd...stop squeezing, and push forward to 3rd.

I also ran across this plan for a modified column shifter, but this design is for transmissions with a reverse patern valve body. Imagine the guy in this car shifting a column shift!

0_detail.jpg

column shift article

He must be hanging on for dear life....lol.. Very cool ride.

How much do they get for that detent? Mine was the best price...free!!! It only takes a dremel to make the slide notch for 1-2 and then I just welded in a "stop" between 3 and neutral.

Steve

• 2 weeks later...

Shiftworks sells a lot of conversion/upgrade parts for stock shifters. Converting stock shifters to utilize with Overdrives, Reverse valvebodies and all. They also sell a detent plate but it does not seem to work the same way based on steps. Looks like a factory replacement for someone converting from powerglide to T-400.

Dan

I put in the piece from the Parts Store, works good and should keep me from going past drive into neutral. From 1 you squeeze the handle and push it forward and it stops at 2....from there you release and push forward and it stops at D....then squeeze and push forward for N.....to pull it back from neutral just squeeze and release for each gear......Davey

• 9 months later...
Here is a photo of the patented shift detent plate.

CP3313Z.JPG

From what I can figure from the way this thing is made, it looks as if you pull the lever all the way back into LOW gear, and then you squeeze and hold the lever as you shift into 2nd...stop squeezing, and push forward to 3rd.

That is exactly how it works- I put one in recently. I really didn't like how hard it was to "find" first- keep hitting the top part of the piece. (Also, I couldn't get used to pulling the lever up to "slap-shift" from 1-2.) I ended up cutting that off the top piece and welding it back on under the 1st gear ramp to make a more "severe" 1-2 shift.

The best part about this piece is it makes it impossible to shift into neutral without pulling up the lever. A big drop between 1-2 makes it feel more "positive" when shifting, but it is still possible to go from 1-3. But I prefer that over going from 1,2, or 3 into neutral at WOT... which I've done, with N2O oh oh oh....

I just put the Shiftworks detent in yesterday. I went with a 700R4 so I used there upgrade kit that converts the stock 3 speed shifter to a 4 speed [you said a naughty!] (PN SC2242). It came with the detent, new trans cable bracket, new shifter bracket, all hardwear needed and the lens that has 1 2 3 D instead of 1 2 D. The only problem I had was the cable that was in the car was not long enough. I got one from Shiftworks that was fully adjustable at both ends. It seems to work really good. I have not yet tried it on the streey yet (to much snow & salt on the roads still)The kit also came with great instructions that made it easy.

• 4 months later...

The detents on the one from shiftworks look slightly diferent. Not sure what the difference will make in function but I am sure some of you guys would know that have done this.

Compare this shift detent plate (2nd item down) to the one posted above.

http://www.shiftworks.com/chevelle-68-72.htm