Build Sheet Repair?

tid

I took the bench seat out of my '70 today to lube up the seat sliders and found the build sheet in the springs. I got it out, but it was torn wherever a spring was on the paper.

Does anyone know an effective way to put the sheet back together? I don't want to use tape because it'll yellow. I wonder if there's a home laminating kit or something available that I can "press" together? I can't run it through the laminating machine at work because it has to be intact.

BTW, I'm not looking to spend big $$, this isn't a 402 or SS car, so the build sheet is really for my own amusement. Thanks fellas-

Jeff

Hello Jeff, I had the same problem. What i did was put the build sheet on top of a blank sheet of paper trying to keep the build sheet as tight as possible where it is seperated. then picking the white sheet of paper with the build sheet on it, and slide it into the plastic laminate (mine was extra large with a fold in it) covering both sides. Double check to make sure none of the build sheet moved before i put it threw the laminating machine. I would show you pic but i dont know how to do it, have to wait for my son to come home. Willie

An alternate to laminating the original I took my build sheet (first picture) and laid it on top of a blank sheet then photo copied it (second picture). I placed the original away in a folder and just use the copy for whatever.

This could also work for you as you could laminate the copy very easily as the paper isn't all wrinkled or tore up.

Bill

P.S. I'm not sure why my copy looks yellowish in the second photo because that's not how it really is.

img0114wh7.jpg

img01372yk8.jpg

WARNING !!

Be sure to use acid-free clear plastic pages to slide the build sheet inside for safe keeping. The acid in many office type plastic pages will cause premature yellowing, cracking and further drying out.

You can get the acid-free stuff at any scrapbooking store. I got mine at Michael's Arts & Crafts (large chain).

Didn't want you to think you were protecting it when you were accelerating the deterioration.

BTW.... I too only use a good photocopy to show. My original is in the acid free clear plastic page and in my safe!!

Hope this helps.

Dan

Thanks for the suggestions, I really appreciate it. For the meantime, I think I'll photocopy it with the blank underneath. When I go back to work in fall, I'll see if our librarian can work some magic with the laminating machine. Thanks again!

Jeff