Western Meet 2010

Canuck

We are looking for some suggestions for the 2010 Western Meet.

The criteria for a meet event is as follows:

- Multi-day car show event

- There must be a member available to organize the meet (preferrably local).

- Preferably late-May until early September

- Parking as a club during the show strongly preferred

- It must be a location where we could expect a minimum of 10 members to attend.

Click the link to see the map of where we have been:

Past Western Meet Locations Map

If you have a suggestion, please provide the location and event info. Simply stating "we should have it in Town, State" is not enough. Please also take into consideration where we have been thus far. If needed, I can organize an event which I'm attending but anyone can throw their hat in the ring.

One note to start this off. Due to the fact that the Western Members are so spread out and that some areas just have a low number of members to begin with, it can be tough to get decent attendance (minimum 10 preferred) in some areas. Also, the fact that there are limited suitible events in the Western States makes it even more difficult to meet everyone's needs.

I've looked into a few events and locations but I'll save my suggestions for later in the discussion. smile

Email me, PM me, or post your suggestions here.

fgmcc

I think that Boise was one of our choices in a past vote. Looked like a big 3 day show. I would be all over Boise, but somehow I get the feeling we will be heading further South.

Vaughn

Yes, there is a show in Boise I found a few years ago that is a good candidate for a meet.

Thanks to Adrian for his constructive suggestion. grin

Hey, I hear Hooters has got some great Hot Wings grin

yes Pink, when I lived in Oregon the Spotted Owl was in great jeopardy...it's nice to hear that you are such a great supporter and concerned for every bird that gives a hoot..... Dave grin

• 2 weeks later...

Maybe it's time for me to drop some of my ideas out there. These are all 2 or 3-day events.

Boise, Idaho

Northwest Motorfest

July 2010

http://www.rpmprod.com/2009_Motorfest_results.html

1,000 cars

Live entertainment

Other entertainment (Rock crawling demo, drag racing lawn mowers, holeshot nationals

Charges admission to public

Logan, Utah

Cache Valley Cruise-in

July 2010

http://www.cachevalleycruisein.com/index.php

Poker run

Sock hop

Raffles

Live entertainment

Swap meet

Show n shine

Cruise/parade

Charges admission to public

The Dalles, Oregon

Cruise the Gorge

August 2010

http://gorgeguide.com/component/eventlist/details/221-cruise-the-gorgeneon-nights.html

Cruise-in

Show n shine

Live entertainment

Drag racing (not sure if it is for participants or just spectator)

Model car contest

Not much info at this time. The web site for the show is down right now

Medford, Oregon

Medford Cruise

June 2010

http://medfordcruise.org/index.html

1972 and older vehicles

Show n shine

Poker run

Drag racing for event participants

Cruise

Live entertainment

Drive-in movie

No admission to public

La Grande, Oregon

Grande Ronde-A-View Weekend

July 2010

http://www.freewebs.com/uctimbercruisers/

Cruise-in Friday

Poker walk

Show & Shine

Barbecue

Cruise

Poker cruise

No admission to public

Bend, Oregon

Flashback Cruz

July/August 2010

http://www.flashbackcruz.com/

1974 and older vehicles

Raffles/prizes

Cruise/fun run

Live entertainment

Parking appears to be based on registrant # (Not desired. I would have to research further)

Poker walk

Show n shine

Street dance

Car olympics

No admission to public

Prineville, Oregon

Rod & Custom Weekend

May 2010

http://www.centraloregonstreetrods.com/rod-custom-weekend.html#weekend

Cruise

Model car contest (wonder if my LEGO Monte would qualify)

Poker walk

Show n shine

Live entertainment

Ice cream social

Poker run

Kids games

BBQ (BYOB)

I'm leaning toward the Medford Cruise myself. It seems to have a lot going for the event and is not as close to the 2009 meet location as some of the other events. Some guys would get an opportunity to drag race their cars too which is something we haven't done in a western meet yet. I did find some other events in Idaho but they were too close to Polson to have as a 2010 meet.

The events which charge admission to the public are typically a little pickier on the vehicles entered (no visible rust, all one colour, must be complete interior, etc). Any members with project cars would not likely be able to enter. We ran into this issue during the 2008 meet.

Still open to other events if you have ideas.

fgmcc

Guest MONTE831

Well I just paid my due and just waiting for my decal....i had an idea for next years western meet theres a 5 day event that starts on a wednesday in Salinas, ca (where i live) and the next 4 days (ends on a sunday) are heald in beautiful monterey, ca. the show cherrys jubilee (if you want more info the website is www.cherrysjubilee.org) is heald at mazda laguna seca track in september. now if your a big race fan you know how beautiful this track is and i would say one of the best thing is during the show they all parade laps on the track where you get a chance to take your chances on the famous cork screw in your monte carlo. i'll be taking plenty of pictures and who ever is in charge of booking or picking where the meets will be email me or hit me up and i'll send you pictures. hope you really consider it....you wont be disappointed = )

here is a list of events

WED - Old Towns Passport to Cherrys Cycle & Car Show & Shine (in salinas, ca)

THURS - Natale's Car Show & Shine (in monterey, ca)

FRI - Poker Run

Show & Shine

Cruise in Down town Monterey

SAT - Show & Shine @ Laguna Seca

SAT NIGHT - Show & Shine @ historic Cannery Row

Sock Hop

SUN - Pancake breakfast

Show & Shine

Awards

I really hope you chose this car show. I know its one your gonna going to want to come back to again.

Welcome to the club, Santiago! This club is great. You will not find a better group of people.

That looks like a fantastic show with some neat activities (I'd love to go to Laguna Seca). Thanks for the suggestion.

We have been to areas close to Salinas a few times already (Santa Rosa, Pismo Beach, Bishop) and we want to explore some other areas/States for 2010. Several Western states have yet to host a meet and there are some viable options in those states. We will get back to central California in future years but not for 2010.

smile

Keep that show on the list for a future meet, looks very attractive...

A $105 show registration fee? I know it is for a good cause, but WOW!

Guest MONTE831

thats if you sign up for it after aug....if its before aug its $95....well at least thats what it is this year....and i believe it has been $95 every years as an early bird sign up fee....

Keep that show on the list for a future meet, looks very attractive...

I already added it to my future Western Meet events list. smile

Another good show and cruise in Oregon. I have attended the last 2 years and this is huge for this area. Junction City is about 10 miles off I-5 in the middle of Oregon. It is about an hour drive to highway 101 and the coast. Show and cruise are on Saturday. I don't know of any official events on Sunday.

http://www.

Junction City, Oregon

Function 4 Junction

May 29, 2010

http://www.function4junction.com/

Cruise is for 1974 and older vehicles

show is open to all vehicles

Show n shine

Guest MONTE831
I vote for the Cherry’s jubilee show. Looks like a lot of fun.

lol i second that vote lol maybe for the 2011 meet? but im really voting for the 2010 meet grin

As discussed, there have already been a few meets within a few hours of Salinas (Bishop, Santa Rosa, Pismo Beach)and yet there are still other states which have never hosted a meet. If that was not the case, I'd give the Cherry's Jubilee show the thumbs-up for 2010. I really appreciate the suggestion as it looks like the right kind of event for a meet. I have bookmarked it in my "future meet" folder. I'd personally have no problem driving to that event next year but it is time to give some other States who have not hosted a meet a chance for 2010, in my opinion. smile

Another good show and cruise in Oregon. I have attended the last 2 years and this is huge for this area. Junction City is about 10 miles off I-5 in the middle of Oregon. It is about an hour drive to highway 101 and the coast. Show and cruise are on Saturday. I don't know of any official events on Sunday.

http://www.

Junction City, Oregon

Function 4 Junction

May 29, 2010

http://www.function4junction.com/

Cruise is for 1974 and older vehicles

show is open to all vehicles

Show n shine

Thanks for the suggestion, Francois!

The type of events we are looking for are 2 or 3-day events with activities over the weekend and I'll explain the reason for this.

It is difficult to draw people from long distances to the meet if it is only a 1 day event. On the west coast, the members are quite spread out and it is difficult to get decent attendance without drawing folks from a fair distance away. The attendance for a 1 day event would likely be low.

If we added on some of our own weekend activities the club could be responsible if an accident occurred and the club was sued. The cost of the insurance to cover this is huge. Our meets are simply not big enough to warrant the insurance cost. Not only that, but organizing our own events is a ton more work and it can be tough to find club members to dedicate that amount of time. When we "piggy back" on other multi-day events, the weekend activities are the responsibility of the event and would fall under their insurance.

I hope that explains the reason for a multi-day event. If anyone has further questions on this or anything else regarding meet events, don't hesitate to ask. smile

Aaron;

I'll vote for Medford, OR. Sounds like a great week. Keep us posted. If I start planning a year out, hopefully I will be able to make 2010.

Thanks for all your work.

Aaron;

I'll vote for Medford, OR. Sounds like a great week. Keep us posted. If I start planning a year out, hopefully I will be able to make 2010.

Thanks for all your work.

Medford is nice, June is still a little iffy for weather. La Grande would be better for weather but I like the idea of either one having a drag strip, participate or not it's fun to watch....JMO...Dave grin

The Cherries Jubilee show is a Top Notch show for the future. I went last year and had a blast. I didn't drive my Monte on the track but I did opt for 5 laps in a Porsche race car as a passenger. That dude was flying! The cruises were great and I have yet to find an evening show that can compare with the one up and down Cannery Row. Awesome people and a great location on the coast. You hear that Big Block guys? NO OVER HEATING! Great weather.

Nygel

I'm with you Dave. La Grande would be great for me. It's only an hour and half away. Joseph, OR is a nice place, but they don't have anything that's a two or three day event.