2010 Western Meet Announcement

Canuck

• Replies 338
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Cameron from Nevada has also decided to join us. Total member count is 27 now. smile

Wow, and still 7 months to go. Good Job to the Western Group.

Rob

OK. Got our room booked.

Has anybody heard from Dan in Idaho? He came to his first meet last year in Polson. His son Travis hung around with my son. Very nice folks!

Hi all...

Vaughn...

Yeah...I knew it...I figured I was going to be the computer geek. That is fine with me...that way...you all can do burnouts again...live on the Internet...like last year! I still wish you would bring your Copper 71SS...though...as that is my all time favorite color combination. Hey...I know what...me and Lisa can drive up to Canada...and I will gladly donate my "time" and drive your Copper car, and Lisa can drive my 70 and you can drive your black SS, and we all can drive together to the meet...or you can just drive it down to Helena, and we can go from there!

I should have bought the one that I had a chance to buy back in 2000...it was a real Canadian car...and had full documentation! I still slap myself over that one...last I heard...it went from the state of Washington (Kelso) to Rhode Island. I wonder if the current owner is a club member? I don't think so...as I don't know of any other Classic Copper 71SS454's that are a Canadian car with all of the documentation that that car did have at the time! Maybe some East Coast members can chime in and let me know if they know about this car?

Regarding Dan in Idaho...he had emailed me last year right before the Polson event. I still have his phone number in that email. I remember him well...his car is white with a black top just like mine...except his is a 72. Anyway...he is a very nice guy and I was glad to have spent some time with him! If somebody needs to get a hold of him, I can give him a call and see if it is OK to give his number out...as I don't like giving out peoples' numbers without their permission first.

Wow...25+ people going to this years show! Excellent! I have a feeling that we will be the MOST represented Chevy model for this event! That would be awesome...as, to this day, I hardly EVER see even ONE FGMC in car shows here in Montana! Last year was the first time in my life that I saw that many Monte Carlo's together in the state of Montana - and that was only 8 cars!

All for now...

Regarding Dan in Idaho...he had emailed me last year right before the Polson event. I still have his phone number in that email. I remember him well...his car is white with a black top just like mine...except his is a 72. Anyway...he is a very nice guy and I was glad to have spent some time with him! If somebody needs to get a hold of him, I can give him a call and see if it is OK to give his number out...as I don't like giving out peoples' numbers without their permission first.

Rodney, if you've got Dan's e-mail address I'd sure appreciate you forwarding it to me. He ordered one of my 'tooned illustration prints from me at the meet. I had the print made and sent it off to him after being back home. I included a little letter with it, and within a week he e-mailed me to let me know that he thought it was great and that he had received it without any problems. I was going to e-mail him back, but I inadvertently deleted his e-mail (along with a bunch of others) at that time, so I couldn't respond to his message. I'd like to let him know via e-mail that I appreciated getting his message, and also that I'm looking forward to seeing him again at the meet in The Dalles. I'm really glad that he's planning to be there, as well!

smile

Thanks,

Dave

Originally Posted By: Canuck
The meet starts 7 months today. smile

I better get going on the Monte or I'll miss another one. shock I got a plan. She'll be ready. coolshifter

Chris

Whether your Monte is ready or not, you are going. No negotiations. grin I'll pick you up on my way to Oregon if I have to. I've seen you miss too many meets already. smile

Originally Posted By: Montecruiser

I better get going on the Monte or I'll miss another one. shock I got a plan. She'll be ready. coolshifter

Chris

Whether your Monte is ready or not, you are going. No negotiations. grin I'll pick you up on my way to Oregon if I have to. I've seen you miss too many meets already. smile

Man, no kidding! Either way, you've gotta go, Chris! I could pick you up, too, if necessary. I really appreciate Aaron's offer, but it would be a lot more convenient for me to do it.

Personally, I hope everyone that's going from western Washington will be able to caravan down in their Montes to The Dalles together this year. Seeing a half dozen or so on the open road together is so cool!

smile

Dave

I'll be going via I5 since I'll be in the Vancouver BC area a couple days before the meet. I plan on driving down on Thursday. Hope to meet up with some of you along the way. smile

Rodney,

I am not sure which Monte I will take. If I'm going to try the track it will be the 70.

I would take you up on your offer to stay at your place but we will be going down through Idaho.

We are looking at around 13 hours from here to The Dalles. Our fastest route is down through Bonner's and then over to Spokane and down.

Which way will you be going?

Vaughn

Vaughn...

There are a few different routes that I am thinking of taking...

-) 12 west to I-90, then I-90 west to Missoula, MT, then 12 west to 730, then 730 to I-84 via I-82 (587 miles, 13:10)

-) 12 west to I-90, then I-90 west to Ritzville, WA, then 395 down to I-84 (579 miles, 9:45)

One way is the scenic route, and the other way is the quick route...we might take one way going over, and take the other way going back...

Regardless, it is going to be awesome being able to drive the Monte Carlo to the show.

I just wish that I could get that Gear Vendors overdrive unit that I have been wanting since day one for the M22...it would be SO nice to have the M22 plus an overdrive for it! Plus it would be fun to have the GV unit for the dragstrip!

All for now...

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Any of you have some idea of what will be needed for tech inspection for the drags? What's involved? I'd like to post something on the Western Meet page about it and maybe in the newsletter.

I know it's 6 months away but I'm getting excited! smiley-excited001.gif

That's a good question Aaron. It's been so long since I've been to the drag strip I have no idea what I need. Guess we could get the NRHA handbook. Depends what class you are. I see them in sportsman class just run from the street directly to the strip. I'll find out in April when our 1/8 mile track opens I guess. I'll still have time to make my legal be 4 I get to The Dallas.

There might be different requirements at different tracks?

I know that my local track is pretty quick about looking over your car..Some items that come to mind are obvious, and others are not.

You can't have any missing lug nuts, your battery has to be mechanically held down (no bungee cords), you need to have 2 throttle-return springs, and you need some kind of catch can for radiator overflow. You need seat belts.

My local track also requires an approved helmet (not sure what they look for inside the helmet, but I have one that they say can't be used), and they also require mufflers of some sort.

At times they have made me remove all my center caps and trim rings, but not always.

Other than that if your car is street legal with good tires they wave you through.

here's a link to the Fontana Street Legal rules. I can't find a site for Dallesport but this is the general idea. If the car presents well they don't look too hard, just make sure it's safe...

http://www.autoclubspeedway.com/Tickets-Events/Events/2010/Auto-Club-Dragway/Street-Legal-Rules.aspx