2010 Western Meet Announcement

Canuck

Dave;

Will you be trailering?? How many miles is it to The Dallas??

It would be great if some of the California Montes could come. We sure are looking forward to it. Remember we have a gruge match set for the WM.

• Replies 338
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'll be fighting Rod for the restrooms....I'm a little bit farther south than he is. We used to live in Elk Grove Mark and Red's from Lodi. It would be nice if we could hook up, good support system in case anyone (like me) needs a hand....Dave

My sister is in Lodi now. Nice place, just as long as you stay outta Stockton lol Man, theres no way i'm missing this grin

Dave;

Will you be trailering?? How many miles is it to The Dallas??

It would be great if some of the California Montes could come. We sure are looking forward to it. Remember we have a gruge match set for the WM.

Royce it's around 1100 miles, yes we'll be trailering. We are looking forward to it too, it's still a ways out but we're going to try our best to get there.

Pink, we don't want to miss it either...is there a chair we should bring???... grin

• 2 weeks later...

As long as everything if finished with my car I should be there. Interior items are being shipped as we speak, and paint and body Jan-Feb 2010.

I am requesting the days off from work now. Come on Lieutenant give me approval smile . I think eight (8) months notice is sufficient.

Hey Adrian!! I wonder if you can get one in pink? lol

P11199453.jpg

Chris

lol Man, those pics are for ever gonna haunt me. I didn't have my photobucket account on private and some guy on Lay it Low posted them up.

• 2 weeks later...

OK, I finally got around to making some phone calls regarding the hotels.

Cousins Country Inn:

http://www.cousinscountryinn.com/index.asp

- Group rate would be roughly $100/night

- Any trailers and tow vehicles would have to be parked on the street and will not be in view of the room.

The Dalles Inn:

http://www.thedallesinn.com/

- Group rate would be roughly $90/night

- This hotel is right in the heart of the cruise. Last year they hired a DJ for the hotel parking lot and may even do a live band for 2010.

- They can't guarantee that any parking will be available for the trailers and tow vehicles. She says that weekend they are usually full and use up all the parking with guests. I estimated that we may have 3 trailers and she thought it might be doable to park them in the hotel lot. The two vehicles would park on the street. If those with trailers get there early enough, maybe they could be tucked into the corner of the lot together but still no guarantees. If they are on the street, I suspect they will not be in view of your room.

So, for those of you with trailers, what are your thoughts here? Should I be phoning more hotels? If we got a hotel further away from the show like we have at some other meets we might have better luck with space for trucks and trailers.

Aaron, we really want to enjoy this meet so anything that can be done to secure our car will allow serenity. Might be a good idea to find out how many would be trailering and then see what arrangements could be made. Maybe if enough are doing that we could go in together and hire a security guy or something, food for thought. count us as a yes....Davey

I agree with Dave about the security. We are on for 2010 meet. It was sad that we didn't make the 2009 meet. We'll make 2010 and we will have a great time and make up for missing the 2009 meet. We will be trailering our Monte. Got to make sure it's ready for the gruge match with Dave. If we need to hirer a security guard we will.

Aaron,

I was at a Christmas party this past weekend with some of the FGMCC members from around here. It looks like you can add two more trailers with a few driving their Montes.

I have found that in past meets if you arrived on Thursday before the meet you can usually find trailer parking in the hotel lots. Just don't move it out during the show or you will loose your parking spot. If you arrived on Saturday during the show you will not get a spot. The Dalles Inn looks like it also has some under cover parking.

Whatever works for everyone is good. I would be in for a security guard if needed.

Vaughn

Hey all...I just thought of a great idea...

I can be the security guard...if...and only if...I get to drive every car that I am guarding...such as Vaughn and Jake...both of their cars that they brought to the Western meet earlier this year are AWESOME cars!

Jake...I still want to go for a ride in yours!

Vaughn...you better bring "my favorite" car of yours...the copper 71SS454! Also...bring one of your 4 speeds...that way me and you can have our own race and bang through the gears together!

And based on "polls"...it looks like several more people will be going to Oregon in 2010...

So...yea...I can be the security guard/dog/driver!

In all honesty, I plan on going as well...but...we are planning on driving my car the 700 some miles to get there and plan on taking the whole week off. I think that the parents will be coming again and, if they do, they will most likely be bringing the motor home again this year. So...I can most likely help people with "guarding" the cars if need be.

Geez...looks like I might have a dual role at the 2010 meet...

-) computer expert

-) guard dog

Wow...it is -10 degrees outside...and I am on fire thinking about the 2010 meet!

Can't wait to go!

Rodney,

You must be getting this extreme cold that we have had for the past couple of weeks. -10 seems warm all of a sudden!!

I'm thinking that I will have to bring the Black 70 as Dave and Royce are getting all serious about the track. grin

I've never been on a track but am pumped about giving it a go. I would love to bring the 4 speed but she is still a ways from being ready to drive.

Don't forget, I followed you and Dave in your 4 speed. I think you will do just fine, on the highway and the track. wink

Glad that your parents are coming. It was a pleasure meeting them last year.

You are right, this meet will take 6 or 7 days.

660 miles one way for us. Going to be a blast as always.

I'm like you guys. I can't wait for the Western Meet. The Monte is running really great and we'll see how Red's car and mine fair up at the track. It will be a blast. I was so sad after the Western Meet this year. I should just gone even without the Monte. I have April till July to practice getting ready. It's only 171 miles from my house to The Dallas. Plan on doing a recon before the meet.

Hi all...

Any chance to ride/drive in another 1stGen makes my day - no matter the condition! I have been around 1stGen's since I was about 8 years old...think back to...circa 1978!

It looks like we will have a lot more people this year...and some of you that have highly modded engines will have to teach me the "ropes", as I have never been on an "official" drag track. Plus...with me having an M22 four speed with that dead 1st gear (2.20) and a 3.73 posi rear...you guys with the automatics will most likely nail me bad right out of the "gate"! I just want to be able to try it out and see how I do. Hopefully a few other 4 speed cars will be there as well...to somewhat even out the odds for me.

Hey Vaughn...thanks for the nice comments...I had forgotten about that night when we all drove out to dinner together in the cars. I actually felt pretty embarrassed getting on it...I was thinking...yea right fool...here is David Mau sitting in the passenger seat of my car that has a little 350 and he has a 70 SS454...like I am gonna impress him with my measly "250 hp"! Plus to boot...I remember that I had that ^$^$#$#$% carburetor on it last summer...that damn thing would not idle at all! Since then though, I have a new 770 and also a 670 Holley Avenger that I have been experimenting with...so...hopefully I will have the right carburetor combination on the car for the 2010 meet. In the meantime, I need to fix the windshield like I had done the back window right before the 2009 meet.

Oh...and for those of you that were at the show and remember...I am not gonna wait until 4 days before the meet...then decide to take a - rusted out rear window area, no back window, no vinyl top, no bucket seat brackets, no bucket seat, no console brackets, no console, non painted interior 1970 Monte and transform it within 96 hours into a car that arrived at 1:30 AM Saturday morning to the meet! I am still catching hell from everybody involved for that insanity! I am just so thankful that the family, my girlfriend, and my best friend were there pretty much that whole week to help me get the car drivable!

Right now...with about a 1/2 foot of snow on the ground...though...I have to wait for Mother Nature to lighten up so that I can do some test driving with the new Avengers. Also...I bought a new HEI distributor, a mechanical fuel pump, and other goodies...so I still have plenty to do...but am already looking forward to August! It is just so nice to take the car for a drive and enjoy it...I look forward to the nice long 700+ mile drive this year!

Oh...and before I forget...for those of you that will be traveling down our way for the meet...feel free to stay at our home for a night or two. I am figuring that the Alberta/Saskatchewan folks might be driving down I-15 through Montana. If so, feel free to stay over at our home if you like. I have already plotted out a few different ways to get to the 2010 meet from Helena, MT...so if anybody is interested in "convoying"...let me know and we can travel together.

All for now...

You pulled it off pretty good Rodney. You did a lot of work in

those 96 hours, I was impressed.

I will let you drive mine, one rule though---You break it, you

fix it.

I actually felt pretty embarrassed getting on it...I was thinking...yea right fool...here is David Mau sitting in the passenger seat of my car that has a little 350 and he has a 70 SS454...like I am gonna impress him with my measly "250 hp"!

You had no reason to feel embarrassed, Rodney. I really enjoyed riding shotgun with you in your 4-speed Monte, and I thought it was a kick in the pants! Mine's just a 40 year-old un-restored Chevy that happens to photograph well. I'm planning to drive it to the meet next summer in The Dalles, but won't be tearing down the track in it. I'd love to try that, but she's old and I can't afford to break her - there's the return trip back home to make, too!

smile

Dave

Originally Posted By: Z204me
I actually felt pretty embarrassed getting on it...I was thinking...yea right fool...here is David Mau sitting in the passenger seat of my car that has a little 350 and he has a 70 SS454...like I am gonna impress him with my measly "250 hp"!

You had no reason to feel embarrassed, Rodney. I really enjoyed riding shotgun with you in your 4-speed Monte, and I thought it was a kick in the pants! Mine's just a 40 year-old un-restored Chevy that happens to photograph well. I'm planning to drive it to the meet next summer in The Dalles, but won't be tearing down the track in it. I'd love to try that, but she's old and I can't afford to break her - there's the return trip back home to make, too!

smile

Dave

you won't break her Dave, the 1/8 mile is like merging on the freeway, go as fast as you want. It would be great to just drive it through so everyone could say they did it....would make great stories and vid's for the Western Meet press release... grin

Alrighty. Has anyone registered for this event yet? I'd like to just get it all done and then patiently wait. I tried the event-page link for registration, but it isn't there. I guess confirmation (on our part) for lodging would be nice, too.

I realize there is plenty of time left to figure it all out, but the way we're going to take over that town (LOL), it would seem best to be ahead of the curve. I don't want to commit to staying someplace, only to find MY group is somewhere else, and I'm smack in the middle of the "Really loud imports with automatics club", doing test & tune in the motel parking lot.