Bob and Deanna's 71 Restoration

black07ss

My son and I started the restoration Christmas weekend 12-26-09. The motor and tranny have been removed. The motor has been rebuilt. We started on the body. Most of the chrome has been removed, doors gutted,seats removed. Contacted Leo and getting ready to tackle the trunk pan. Many more posts to come. Here is a link with what has been done so far.

http://s459.photobucket.com/albums/qq311/07blackss/71%20monte/?albumview=slideshow

Thanks. Is the link working?? I can't seem to make it work and have tried to delete and recopy but it seems messed up.

The quick link I posted in my response is working... smile

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Hi,Just wanted to say,that's pretty nice project to start with.Is it going to be Red when It's done? My trunk was a little worse off than yours. Just keep plugging away at it and you'll see the differences in the pictures.I didn't take very many pictures of mine in the destruction zone,More in the assembly mode.I think the '71 looks the best with the front grlle and painted Red.Please tell me you are keeping the top,that's what makes the car in my book.Looks pretty clean to me!No rust on the rear fenderwells,that's good!

• 2 weeks later...

I got some energy this weekend 2/28/10. Front and rear glass were removed,console,dash pad, and rear quarter windows. Just a small hole by the front glass. A little more work is needed by the rear window. Floor boards and wheels look awsome.

DSC01250.jpg

DSC01252.jpg

front window area

DSC01251.jpg

rear window area

DSC01253.jpg

DSC01254.jpg

wheel wells and floor boards

DSC01262.jpg

DSC01260.jpg

DSC01261.jpg

DSC01258.jpg

DSC01257.jpg

a>

a>

• 1 month later...

I have been plugging along. Sometimes I feel like I spend hours upon hours and nothing seems like it got done. Taking it apart and then trying to find room for it all can be very tedious. Until now I never thought about how consolidated a car is and how many parts make it up. shocked I have the frond end off now and I am going for my first patch panel. Here are some before pics of the right fender.

DSC01303.jpg

DSC01304.jpg

DSC01306.jpg

Sometimes I feel like I spend hours upon hours and nothing seems like it got done. Taking it apart and then trying to find room for it all can be very tedious. Until now I never thought about how consolidated a car is and how many parts make it up.

Ah, never a truer word spoken. I'me just back on the road after a year and a half on blocks... for this phase!

And it seems other house residents just don't appreciate the challenge in finding room for the parts,rofl but I found that with some strategic repositioning of the furniture you can make more efficient use of otherwise wasted house space.

Here are just some suggestions from my experience. These can also make for some good animated discussions with other residents about priorities, etc... whistle

Living Room: Making use of dead space in front of the fireplace

DSCN2933.JPG

Front closet: Just tell guests to keep their coats on.

DSCN2919.JPG

Behind furniture, under the bed, on the coffee table also work well. For the really dirty parts, use a tarp on the floor but make sure to refer to it as a temporary "area rug". grin

Keep up the good work!

Well I am getting to that point right now. The only place I could find to put the new trunk pan was in the spare bedroom lol

I had stuff scattered from my attic,to shed, to basement. Bumpers up in the rafters,windshield was tucked into the attic trusses, I was buying parts for years so I spread the pain out over a larger area lol

I never used the closet as in MG's case. I like that one cool

Believe me Bob, it seems sometimes that every time you think your going to finish something up, you find 3 more things to do. Thats the snowball effect, keep with it, eventually there will be no more things you can possibly take apart, and it will make a turn and start to show progress

• 1 month later...

Yes I used a patch panel. I cut them off at the line. I got these ones from Leo. They needed a little modification but fit without too much problem. I had to add a strip to the tire side for the fender well. If you can save the edges of your origional fender these would fit nice in the hole. Leo said they were the best he has found. They were the same price as other places.

• 4 months later...

It's been a HOT summer here in Ohio but the fender is almost ready for some epoxy. One last hit in the seams with the sand blaster and a once over with the DA. By saturday it should be sealed up.

DSC02072.jpg

DSC02073.jpg