Northwest coast caravan

Canuck

A few of us that are going to arrive in The Dalles on Thursday are planning on meeting somewhere along I5 in the Seattle/Tacoma area then continue as a group to The Dalles. We were thinking of either taking I90 or I5 to The Dalles.

I will be leaving from the Vancouver, BC area and will likely leave early in the morning to avoid long lines at the border. Depending on the border lines and traffic through Seattle, it will probably take me 3.5 to 4 hours to get to the I90 junction. Maybe the members North of I90 can arrange to meet up at a rest area or some other location near the I90 junction and then we can all leave together from there.

I'd probably get to the I90 junction area by 11AM or so. We could find a place to go for lunch, take advantage of the photo opportunities, then complete the journey. It will be nice as we will not be in a rush, just cruise at a decent speed.

Anybody interested? Anybody have a good idea for a meeting place?

You know I'm in. cool Kevin (KWick70) mentioned he had been both routes and he said the I-5 route is more scenic due to the I-90 route having alot of desert nothing area. Either way is good for me. I might head home the other route just to do it. If we go the I-5 route down it increases location options for our meeting up with other members. That way Jake and others wont have to drive north to go south. nutz I think we would be able to russle up a bigger caravan if we take the I-5 south.

SeaTac rest area is just South of Kent on I5 at exit/mile 140 which appears to be a good location for most Seattle area members. I think that would be a great place to meet. smile

SeaTac rest area is just South of Kent on I5 at exit/mile 140 which appears to be a good location for most Seattle area members. I think that would be a great place to meet. smile

All except thats a northbound rest stop.(see link below) whistle Looks like the nearest southbound stop is Everett (which is way up north) or south of Olympia (which is way down south). We dont like to allow any "resting" too close to us around here. lol I think the farthest south of the "Seattle" group is Bremertons Kevin Wick and I think another member that would hook up with I-5 in Tacoma north of the Olympia stop. So maybe Tacoma area would be better? Theres no rest stops but I could find somewhere easy to access. Unless your looking for some scenic spots for photo opps. cool If thats the case the I say meet up in Oly.(11.6 miles south of Oly) grin The rest stops are like parks. smile

http://www.wsdot.wa.gov/Safety/RestAreas/restareamap.htm#silverlake

• 4 weeks later...

I will now be leaving from Bremerton on Thursday. I would like to meet up with the caravan and travel with the rest of you down to the Dalles. Tacoma Mall at the 38th St exit just past the Tacoma dome southbound would be an easy meet...and there is a Krispy Kreme there, or South of Olympia...both are good for me.

• 3 weeks later...

OK, thus far there are 5 members meeting up for the drive. Me Chris (Montecruiser), Chris (72monte), Kevin and Jake.

Any other takers?

smile

OK, thus far there are 5 members meeting up for the drive. Me Chris (Montecruiser), Chris (72monte), Kevin and Jake.

Any other takers?

smile

......what have I been forgotten already????

Originally Posted By: Canuck

Any other takers?

smile

Which one of you is going? Adrian? Arsin? or Pinky? grin

Oh, sorry Adrian. I didn't see you there sitting in your little chair.

Add Adrian to the list.

Originally Posted By: Arsin
Originally Posted By: Canuck

Any other takers?

smile

Which one of you is going? Adrian? Arsin? or Pinky? grin

depends on how many drinks I have ;)It might start off Adrian, after a couple Pinky, but if someone makes fun of my little cahir its ARSIN all the way rofl

Tacoma Mall at the 38th St exit just past the Tacoma dome southbound would be an easy meet...and there is a Krispy Kreme there...

I would love to do this as well, and I agree that this would make for an excellent meeting place. The Krispy Kreme is right off the I-5 freeway on the west side and is highly visible. It's basically at the northeast part of the Tacoma Mall parking lot. If you're southbound on I-5 and miss the S 38th St exit (which is a little ways north of the Krispy Kreme), just continue down (honk and wave as you pass by Krispy Kreme, of course) to the S 56th exit and then head north to get there. Having a donut would be a good snack prior to having lunch at Jake's friend's restaurant in Yelm! I think Yelm would be about another 45 minutes or so from the Krispy Kreme.

If we meet at the rest area south of Olympia (which is very nice, but I think is also quite a ways - down near the Millersylvania State Park and Scott Lake areas), it would be a backwards trek to Yelm.

Things to consider.

wink

Dave

OK, so that's 7 of us so far.

Me

Chris (Montecruiser)

Chris (72monte)

Kevin

Jake

Adrian

Dave

Originally Posted By: 72Monte
Tacoma Mall at the 38th St exit just past the Tacoma dome southbound would be an easy meet...and there is a Krispy Kreme there...

I would love to do this as well, and I agree that this would make for an excellent meeting place. The Krispy Kreme is right off the I-5 freeway on the west side and is highly visible. It's basically at the northeast part of the Tacoma Mall parking lot. If you're southbound on I-5 and miss the S 38th St exit (which is a little ways north of the Krispy Kreme), just continue down (honk and wave as you pass by Krispy Kreme, of course) to the S 56th exit and then head north to get there. Having a donut would be a good snack prior to having lunch at Jake's friend's restaurant in Yelm! I think Yelm would be about another 45 minutes or so from the Krispy Kreme.

If we meet at the rest area south of Olympia (which is very nice, but I think is also quite a ways - down near the Millersylvania State Park and Scott Lake areas), it would be a backwards trek to Yelm.

Things to consider.

wink

Dave

homer_simpson31.jpg

It will likely take me about 4 hours to get into the Tacoma area so I'll probably get there arund 11am at the earliest. 11 is probably a good time to meet and then go wherever we decide t go for lunch. I'll be ready for a donut after 4 hours of driving grin

It will likely take me about 4 hours to get into the Tacoma area so I'll probably get there arund 11am at the earliest. 11 is probably a good time to meet and then go wherever we decide t go for lunch. I'll be ready for a donut after 4 hours of driving grin

Yeah like this one

donut-cushion-from-duro-med_DMI102_.jpg

• 1 month later...

Based on the discussion above...

Where: Krispy Kreme at Tacoma Mall (just off I5)

When: August 12th @ 11AM roughly

Any objections?

Jake: Are we still going to that Chinese restaurant?

If not, we'll just find somewhere else to go for lunch.

This will be fun! smile

Sounds good to me. Why don't we just find something around our

meeting location.

Good idea. There is probably plenty of choices in the Tacoma Mall area. smile

Hey guys,

Still some time til the WM but wanted to start firming up a place where I can meet up with the caravan in Portland.

I did some checking and there is truck stop in Troutdale on I-84 that has off/on access to I-84. I figured it may be a good location where I can hook up with you all on the last leg of the journey. Give you all a chance to stretch your legs after the trip from Tacoma. It's called Troutdale Travel Center and is accessed by taking the #17 exit ramp off I-84. It is located on the same side of road with easy access back onto I-84 North.

Let me know what you think and if ageeable will be there before you all show up. I believe Aaron has my cell phone number so we can determine arrival time. I'm just off I-205 about 10 miles from I-84 interchange so won't take much for me to get there depending on your ETA. Traffic can be brutal after 3:00 PM weekdays.

Let me know.

Doug

• 2 weeks later...

A few more details regarding the meeting place:

From I5, take the 38th street exit and go West on 38th street. Take a left on S. Steele St.

Make a left onto Tacoma Mall Blvd.

Follow Tacoma Mall Blvd until you get to Krispy Kreme (right near Sears). smile