Pro-Touring '72

quarterbooty

Looks like you've been real busy Nick. Looks very nice. Would love to see it someday live and in action. Enjoy. - Dave

Beautiful build! Your car has convinced me I want to put 18s on mine now, rather than the 17s I was thinking. Love the way they look on there!

What backspacing do you have on each wheel? Any mods to the wheel well to make those fit?

Thanks again for the positive feedback, everyone.

Beautiful build! Your car has convinced me I want to put 18s on mine now, rather than the 17s I was thinking. Love the way they look on there!

What backspacing do you have on each wheel? Any mods to the wheel well to make those fit?

The fronts are 18x10 with a 4.75 backspace. The rears are 18x10 with 5.75 and 6.25 of backspace for the passenger and driver sides, respectively (more info here). I highly recommend going with 18s instead of 17s. The tire selection is much better.

Nick

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...
Thanks again for the positive feedback, everyone.

Originally Posted By: MCBeast

The fronts are 18x10 with a 4.75 backspace. The rears are 18x10 with 5.75

and 6.25 of backspace for the passenger and driver sides, respectively (more info here). I highly recommend going with 18s instead of 17s. The tire selection is much better.

Nick

Just wanted to let anyone know who was looking. His fronts are 18x8 NOT 18x10 as stated in above quote. It was a typo!!

Here is the quote from his first post in thread "It took me forever to decide on wheels and tires, but I eventually settled on Rushforth Super Spokes with Nitto 555s. 18x8s and 245s up front and 18x10s with 285s out back. "

"

• 3 months later...
  • 6 months later...

-Does anyone know the part number for this condenser? Tried looking it up on summit but when I looked up the packing list it had one hard line going to drivers side. Not both on passenger side like the one showed here.

My final project this spring was to get the air conditioning functioning again. Everything worked, but it had been evacuated long enough that I'm sure components were corroded and not worth salvaging. The Frontrunner came with a Sanden SD7, which mounts on the passenger side. I bought Vintage Air's parallel flow condenser kit and the hardlines that adapt to a passenger-side compressor.

DSC_0047.JPG

• 3 weeks later...

I looked through the folder where I typically keep all of my Monte-related paperwork, and I could not locate the hardline part number. If you call Vintage Air's tech support line, they can look it up for you; that's how I knew which one to order. Sorry I wasn't more helpful.

Nick

It's taken longer than it should have, but I finally got the car back on the road. I made a lot of changes this winter/spring/summer, but I'll just hit the highlights. First, the Rushforths are gone in favor of a set of Formula 43 RAD S5 wheels. It's a 3-piece wheel with Laguna Gray centers, polished outer rim halves with a step lip, and black powder coated inner rim halves.

DSC_0262.JPG

DSC_0261.JPG

The fronts are 18x9 with 5.5" of backspace. The tire is a Bridgestone Potenza S04 (UTQG 280) 255/40/18. This is an inch wider wheel than I was running before.

DSC_0259.JPG

The rears are 19x10 with 5.5" of backspace. Tire size is 285/35/19, which is an inch larger in diameter than my previous setup. I increased the diameter for tire selection and aesthetic reasons.

DSC_0247.JPG

I was reluctant to go with the darker centers initially (I was leaning towards clear anodized), but all of my car buddies convinced me that gray was the way to go. I'm extremely pleased with the way it turned out.

Nick

Since I was having wheels custom made (again), I decided to rebuild the rear end (again). I had Larry Larson narrow it slightly (for more wheel lip) and install big bearing Ford ends from Mark Williams.

DSC_0220.JPG

DSC_0221.JPG

I upgraded the axles to a set of 33 spline Masterlines from Mark Williams and installed a Detroit TrueTrac to match. Larry also machined down new billet Williams carrier caps and welded the axle tubes. You can see the new axle next to the stock original.

DSC_0236.JPG

DSC_0241.JPG

Bearings are Timken SET20 tapered rollers.

DSC_0227.JPG

Finally, I changed to a 1350 style billet yoke.

DSC_0222.JPG

Nick

Since I was having wheels custom made (again), I decided to rebuild the rear end (again). I had Larry Larson narrow it slightly (for more wheel lip) and install big bearing Ford ends from Mark Williams.

DSC_0220.JPG

DSC_0221.JPG

I upgraded the axles to a set of 33 spline Masterlines from Mark Williams and installed a Detroit TrueTrac to match. Larry also machined down new billet Williams carrier caps and welded the axle tubes. You can see the new axle next to the stock original.

DSC_0236.JPG

DSC_0241.JPG

Bearings are Timken SET20 tapered rollers.

DSC_0227.JPG

Finally, I changed to a 1350 style billet yoke.

DSC_0222.JPG

Nick

Larry Larson is a chassis man extrodinaire and a super nice and humble guy also. Oh yeah he has the baddest street car on the planet.

Lucky to have him near ya!

Your car is just awesome!!

David

Larry Larson is a chassis man extrodinaire and a super nice and humble guy also. Oh yeah he has the baddest street car on the planet.

Lucky to have him near ya!

Your car is just awesome!!

David

Thanks for the compliments. Larry was great to work with. The craftsmanship was great and he had the housing ready when he said he would. It was cool seeing his Nova in person, too. He has a customer that just purchased a brand new ZL-1 and had it delivered to his shop for a drag conversion. It still had the protective plastic overlays on all the panels. I would have loved to have the LSA, but someone else had already claimed it.

Nick