Exhaust Leak

LuckyKenny

Look for blacks streaks that are caused by the leak.You should be able to see where its leaking.You also might be able to take a long screw driver and stick it where the manifolds touch at the heads and stick your ear on the other end to pick the sound up better.Well help you determine the where the leak is

There's no residue anywhere that i can see

It sounds like a pen hitting a desk

It's coming from the drivers side someplace

What if i sprayed PB blaster on each of them and see if it bubbles?

I didn't think of that

I was just looking at where the headers meet the pipes.

The manifolds are extremely old, i'm assuming they're original, idk what the original ones look like.

The seals on the block to the manifold look fine.

I think it's where they end and meet the pipes.

Is there three bolts that come out of the headers?

And then if they do, do the pipes side along the three bolts that are attached to the headers?

I feel can two nuts on each bolt, i don't have a functioning flashlight at the moment so i cant really see what i'm looking at lol

You dont have headers you have exhaust manifolds.Its been so long since I have seen them.It could be 2 or 3 bolts off the manifold.The exhuast pipe will have a flange that goes over those bolts and there should be a round cork gasket called a donut gasket in between the 2 pieces.

The flanges should have three bolts, and like Paul said should have a gasket in between them (the manifold, flange, and pipes that run underneath the car) Go to the parts store and just ask for doughnuts, they should know what your talking about. Thats a good guess and starting point as far as tracking down the annoying ticking sounds. And if you haven't replaced them already its only gonna cost you a few bucks. Good luck finding the leak.

If you put it on a lift you should be able to tell where it is coming from. If you don't have a lift available take it to a muffler shoop and have them check it for you. Probably won't charge you to inspect it for you.

That's close. but not the actual part. You want one that is tapered at both ends.

Here is a picture that will give you an idea of how it all goes together. Your cast-iron manifold flares out at the exit point, and is surrounded by 3 studs that stick out. (It looks pretty much like the piece on the right in the photo but it's all one piece and part of the manifold casting)

The end of the exhaust pipe (like the piece on the left in the photo) also flares, and where the two pieces come together the flares capture the donut gasket between them. I'n not sure why they show two donuts....

ls1exhaust03.gif

You will find that these donuts come in maky different sizes and thicknesses. It would probably help to have an old one to match up. They also come made of different materials...some are solid steel and others look like they are made of pressed asbestos or something. I prefer the softer pressed type...they conform better if your pipes aren't perfectly round or meet at an angle.

It can be a fun job (sarcasm) because the bolts that hold everything together get all rusted into place and don't want to come undone...and access is often a problem even with deep sockets. You really want to make sure this is where your problem IS before you start tearing into the project. If you can be quick, you can start the car stone cold and quickly feel around with your hand for leaks before the parts get hot...but it all gets hot quickly, so be careful.

Here's a trick for all you wanna be muffler guys/girls. Cut a piece of 3/4 heater hose about 3 feet long. Place one end of hose up to your ear the other end where you suspect the leak to be,listen close and probe the area you will here the leak when you come across it. If you have never tried this you need to,you will be floored at the results.

Kenny the tick noise will most likly be coming from manifold to head gasket a donut gasket will sound more like a rumble rather than a tick. Call me, put the car up to the phone and I'll tell you where it's coming from. I can pin point a exhaust leak from 4000 miles.smile It's a TUFFY but you can trust the MIDAS touch.lol

How hard is it to change the gasket on the head?

Not the most enjoyable job in the world, It's not to bad if you have done them before and know the tricks,this may be the time to think about headers.