Exhaust Leak

LuckyKenny

I agree...it's annoying... lol

I also agree it's a manifold leak... wink

kicking

Yes, the "listen through the hose" trick works really well. A screwdriver or stethoscope works good at hearing internal noises, but the hose works better at hearing external noises. For example, the piece of hose would be good for finding a hissing vacuum leak. A piece of garden hose works well.

Kenny I don't know how you can live with that noise. That's pretty severe. It almost sounds like a spark plug has come loose.

The problem with replacing the manifold-to-head gasket is cleaning the old gasket off of the parts. You're going to want to remove the exhaust pipe from that side, then remove the manifold so you can do a good job of getting all remnants of the old gasket cleaned off of the head & manifold. I've never had any luck trying to slip in a new gasket without removing the manifold.

If you don't want to listen through a hose to find the source of the leak, you might have some luck using dishsoap & water poured over the suspected area when the engine is cold. When you start it up, it might give off some bubbles... I just like knowing for sure what I need to do before I start tearing stuff appart.

My bet is that the leak is in the "hard to get at" spot...probably #1 cyl right under the AC compressor. You might be able to get the manifold out without removing the front AC brakets.

• 2 weeks later...

Kenny, are you going to be in Old Town on Saturday? If so, we can diagnose it there, no sweat. Want me to bring my compression gauge to check on your cylinders while we are at it? Let me know and I'll load up a few tools. You should be able to use the soap bubble trick to find leaks on a cold engine, no problem.

• 2 weeks later...

I just saw this guys

I found the leak, it's at the third cylinder on the drivers side.

When i get around to it i'll take care of it lol

I couldn't make it to the Orlando meet

How is everyone?

lol, I wouldn't call the cast iron manifolds pos's unless you are looking for power (I gained 0.7 seconds in the 1/4 mile doing nothing but dumping the manifolds for headers)

but for reliability and ease of service.. keep the manifolds wink