Track Times 10/27

Andy's Auto

Unloaded right on time and got my first run at 7:01. Launched decent with a 1.79 60 foot but the car missed quite abit inb top end. Still ran a 13.16@100.15

Second run at 7:13 I pulled an earfull of timing and was rewarded with a 12.79@103.09

Third run at 7:28 they noticed my slicks and put me in Pro Et. Ran against a 9 second Camaro and totally took me out of my game. Reaction time was in the toilet but she still ran 12.62@105.41.

Fourth run at 7:44 I pulled another few degrees out of the dizzy and got a 1.71 60 foot with a 12.41@106.78

Fifth run I at 7:59 I pulled yet another 2 degrees out and she hit a 1.71 60 foot again but it slowed a hair to a 12.43@106.24

Sixth run at 8:16 I was getting all she had without opening the carb so I gave her the first dronk of nitrous in 3rg gear only with a 125 shot. Hit pretty hard and went 12.10@112.08. I am positive she would have lived through a full pass but she still wears her bone stock C Clip axles.

No more vids until I figure out the sound. Plus Hunny Bunny brought the SD card but forgot the camera. Friday we are out to go camping and beat up my brand new Kawasaki Brute Force 750i. Next weds if for the 90SS truck so next Friday I go after jetting and power valve changes to get that 12.0 engine pass. I think that will be it. But if I get the 12.0, I get the 10.80 on a 175 shot of spray Iam looking for. Until the axles show up I am done for a few.

The chassis is working great. Traction is there. I reweighed the pig and yup, she is a pig. With me in the car and a full tank of 93, yup 4206 pounds. Thsat is minus the speakers, minus the compressor.

You're getting there my man....

off with the front sway bar and let some gas out of the tank and you will shake a tenth or two off. I do think you'll get to 12 flat.

You are actually running pretty good 60's and ET's for 106 mph, so the car must be set up pretty well. Kudos.

hey Killer.....got some runs in...this is good, gettin' her sorted out. I usually don't get my good passes until I'm 3 or 4 runs in, she just likes to clear her throat.

How much timing were you in to be backing off that much? Funny though, they like what they like, they're all different. Now just let it settle in, it will keep going faster for a while then put your finger on the trigger....

excellent son...just excellent....Dad

Thanks pops. Very happy with the runs. I took 9 degrees out total with a overall advance of 37 degrees. Most of my biggies like it right around 40-42. They are all different yes.I learned years ago that if your zero your expectations you will be much happier in the long run. I kinda forgot what it was like making a heavy car run a number. At 3400 pounds the Malibu seems very much easy.

Now to attack the carb. I was out this morning pulling plugs at she is certainly running on the rich side. Not even sure what power valve is in it but I think it is a 50. Find out when the sun comes up.

Winston, I really see no reason to mess with the suspension any more. I am leaving full throttle. Last yellow, kill the cockroach. I am of the opinion that 1.70s short is about all she will do with two tons of fun. Unless I go up on the convertor stall I think that is all she has.

If the carb wont get me the 12.0 I have another plan. I already proved I can swap out heads and a cam in less than a day. I have a set of 820s that flow a little better than the Merlins and a Comp cam with around .657 lift. A little bigger than the .608 right now. I keep forgetting I am feeding a 496 not a 454 so a little more cam will def give me a couple of tenths.

And did I mention it was a typical Florida summer night? Yup, 88 degrees and 100% humidity. Track temps were 137. Sun was out all day.

Off to put the winch on my new Kawi.

Andy

I used to run the Velle at 38-40 thinking that felt pretty good but when we put it on the numbers stand its happy place was 36, I haven't touched it since.

Heavy cars are transfer dependant, especially with small tires, the Velle still runs at 3600 so it likes its nose in the air. A 170 is a good 60 for that car but there's more there if you want it, Mike's in the 150's with his and that translates to low 11's. I mean son, let 'er hunt.....

What are the numbers on the heads....bigger is not always better with a 96....what are the chamber sizes...don't want to lose any squeeze. A 650 stick is good but don't get carried away with duration...remember....heavy car + lowend = fast....with that converter you need the party to start at 3500 not 6000..

What are the specs on the carb...I might be able to help you with that....I have the spec sheet for my Wonerboy carb, maybe we can match some numbers up....

talk to me son..your mother can't help you..... crazy

That being said, I think Hoobilicious will want to go again tomorrow. I took the carb off and turns out the power valve is a 65. Odd because the car launches as well as it does. I was at 87/93 on the jets. Not bad for a cold weather setup but I went down to 85/89. I dont want to go nuts as it idles at 9 inches of vacuum. The car feels so much crisper, if that makes any sense. Tomorrow I will back down on the jets until it drops off like I did with the timing.

I am off the juice for a few. And push comes to shove that 505 really isnt doing much for my pride right now. And I do have a new brand set of Super Comps kinda hanging on it right now.

Simple, if you follw King Solomons theory that a power vavle should be rated at 1/2 of your idle vacumm in gear, this car should run rich at idle but does not. And generally speaking to take a quote from George S. Patton " a high performance carburated engine should stumble upon take off if the power valve is either already or not ready to deliver fuel".

Clear as mud Wolfie?

I put the 55 power valve in this morning.

I had a long discussion with Crazey Dave's hero Patrick from Prosystems on this very subject. I questioned his choice on the valve in my carb. He puts a 6.5 power valve in the HP's no matter the idle vacuum. The reason for this is a better hole shot and off the line performance. The carb gets more gas, quicker, as soon as you crack the throttle. It made sense once I really sat down and thought about it. With the higher vacuum PV, that minute part of a second as the vacuum is dropping can be the difference between a happy transition and a sad one.

Something to think about....? I'm running the 6.5 and it works for my setup. Ask the dudes that have a Prosystems and see what PV theirs came with....

If you want, I can send you some A/F charts of mine so you can see what happens when I stab it.

If it launches great, why change it? One change at a time please.

with all due respect to my hero we identified a transition issue on the dyno and went down on the idle bleeds and to a 8.5 pv....nothing you could feel or hear but showed up on the charts....

with all due respect to my hero we identified a transition issue on the dyno and went down on the idle bleeds and to a 8.5 pv....nothing you could feel or hear but showed up on the charts....

Which "seems" counter productive to king solomons theory. That's why I wanted to bring it up. Sometimes we need to think outside the box. Thanks for that input Dave. I know you want Andy to hit his number just as bad as I do.

Going dowm on the air bleeds and up on the PV does make sense. Davey, what kind of vacumm does the Velle pull at idle?

As I was pulling timing out on the 27th vacuum was by design decreasing. Leaving the car off idle made for a good kick in the pants as oppsed to loading the suspension at 2500 like I am pretty well used to.

But all this comes down to is nonsense. Robin said it all last night. "Honey, your car needs more power if you want it to go faster" Definately cute which does not always equate to smart, but in this case it does. I am wasting my time tuning when I really should be building more power.

But this was my bracket gal who could not deviate from 14.8 to save her life five runs in a row. Pass 6 she went 15.3 and she was getting upset. I asked her why all of the sudden why is she driving through the water box instead of around it? Her response was the guy in front of her did it. Again, cute does not mean smart. I am neither cute nor smart.

Back to the task at hand. Robin nixed out track date tonight as we need to pack and purchase sindries for our camping expedition. So Weds it is. Made a bracket for her Nikon so track vids in order.

And Wolfie, my most humblest apologies. I never paid much attention to your vids as Davey was getting all the attention with his freak of nature Shovel. Although you have THE most sick sounding transmission, never forget how fast 11.70s really are. I am .7 off your mark with an extra 100 cubes.

That my friend is why back to the drawing board is certainly an option.

Ondy

Maybe also try and shrink the timing curve or lock out the distributor. That would help on the idle vac issue due to backing down the total timing. You probably have advance springs sitting around the shop anyways.

And I know what your saying about more power. You can pick up a couple tenths with tuning, but a whole second is a bunch.

I can tune a piano........................................................................................................................................I can Tuna Fish.............

But I can't tune a second out of a car without two plug wires being crosses first.

I'm playing catch-up here.

Don't kill me, but where is the post with all the specs of the engine and car???

Yeah, racing in the heat is like racing at 5000ft.

Figure a good 4 tenths off in perfect air!

Originally Posted By: Reds72WMonte
Ondy I don't know what vacuum it pulls at idle...the brakes work so I'm happy......

Ok? Should I direct the question to Buttercup? Lol

Buttercup is getting a new bump stick so we'll know in a few days....seriously, I know this sounds Barny Rubble but I've never used vacuum as an indicator for anything (except will it stop), I'm not trying to be a smart a** or anything. I just use other things and my indepth seat-of the-pants skills.... eek I'm all about combo's, I try to get the right stuff and match it up...for some reason I've always been good at it, I've been using the same basic formula for 45 years...I don't have the knowledge of guys like you and Wolfie, I'm making this up as I go along....ignorance is in fact bliss in my case...... crazy

Originally Posted By: Andy's Auto
Originally Posted By: Reds72WMonte
Ondy I don't know what vacuum it pulls at idle...the brakes work so I'm happy......

Ok? Should I direct the question to Buttercup? Lol

Buttercup is getting a new bump stick so we'll know in a few days....seriously, I know this sounds Barny Rubble but I've never used vacuum as an indicator for anything (except will it stop), I'm not trying to be a smart a** or anything. I just use other things and my indepth seat-of the-pants skills.... eek I'm all about combo's, I try to get the right stuff and match it up...for some reason I've always been good at it, I've been using the same basic formula for 45 years...I don't have the knowledge of guys like you and Wolfie, I'm making this up as I go along....ignorance is in fact bliss in my case...... crazy

So like me you would rather be lucky then good any day of the week? My luck has run out though, putting in the bigger Comp Cams grind as we speak. I am going to retune it anyway and it will give me a chance to run a timing tab. grin

The Ondinator

I'm playing catch-up here.

Don't kill me, but where is the post with all the specs of the engine and car???

Yeah, racing in the heat is like racing at 5000ft.

Figure a good 4 tenths off in perfect air!

Here it is, I think the title went something like Hey Mikey (72LS5)