Track Times 10/27

Andy's Auto

Originally Posted By: Reds72WMonte
Originally Posted By: Andy's Auto
Originally Posted By: Reds72WMonte
Ondy I don't know what vacuum it pulls at idle...the brakes work so I'm happy......

Ok? Should I direct the question to Buttercup? Lol

Buttercup is getting a new bump stick so we'll know in a few days....seriously, I know this sounds Barny Rubble but I've never used vacuum as an indicator for anything (except will it stop), I'm not trying to be a smart a** or anything. I just use other things and my indepth seat-of the-pants skills.... eek I'm all about combo's, I try to get the right stuff and match it up...for some reason I've always been good at it, I've been using the same basic formula for 45 years...I don't have the knowledge of guys like you and Wolfie, I'm making this up as I go along....ignorance is in fact bliss in my case...... crazy

So like me you would rather be lucky then good any day of the week? My luck has run out though, putting in the bigger Comp Cams grind as we speak. I am going to retune it anyway and it will give me a chance to run a timing tab. grin

The Ondinator

I'd prefer to think of it as good at lucky.... grin....I know it's hard to "tune" a second out but it's possible to "tune" the combo for that much which is the approach I take. Sounds like that's exactly what you're doing so I think big blue is going to hussle better. With the new camera mount it won't want to embarrass itself so it'll run.... cool

Davey, it just remembered that you run a vacuum pump in the Velle right? Don't make me call Patrick and get your carb secrets and invent a few of my own.Lo<L.

Or worse yet open my wallet for an other double part purchase.

Davey, it just remembered that you run a vacuum pump in the Velle right? Don't make me call Patrick and get your carb secrets and invent a few of my own.Lo<L.

Or worse yet open my wallet for an other double part purchase.

no, I don't run a pump on the Velle, just a reservoir canister. I can email you my spec sheet on the carb it you want....it's pretty detailed.....you can add it to your stuff and invent a new wheel....

in order to keep costs down I'm switching to one of these..

http://www.moyermade.com/chevyV8.html

crazy

You know, I was just staring at the car for abit and I think I am going to throw some new parts at it.But the Crower Solid stays. Mainly a set of 4.10 to get my happy place at the end of the run. An I noticed that set of 1 3/4 Flowtechs. I have the 2 inch Super Comps staring me in the face. Gonna cut a hole in the hood so I can run the Victor Jr. I see a 77 Trand Am shaker popping (pooping) out. I feel the need to run with Wolfie on engine and you My Hero, Davey on spray. I can see the light, but it is dim. First, need to take advantage of the wife before she thinks Ms. Monte might be hiding something special behind that gas door. She swears I love that car more than her.

Now THAT is quote of the week material.

Supercalifrenchalistic Ondy

You know, I was just staring at the car for abit and I think I am going to throw some new parts at it.But the Crower Solid stays. Mainly a set of 4.10 to get my happy place at the end of the run. An I noticed that set of 1 3/4 Flowtechs. I have the 2 inch Super Comps staring me in the face. Gonna cut a hole in the hood so I can run the Victor Jr. I see a 77 Trand Am shaker popping (pooping) out. I feel the need to run with Wolfie on engine and you My Hero, Davey on spray. I can see the light, but it is dim. First, need to take advantage of the wife before she thinks Ms. Monte might be hiding something special behind that gas door. She swears I love that car more than her.

Now THAT is quote of the week material.

Supercalifrenchalistic Ondy

is you runnin' de airgap now? Buttercup has an AG under the lid and without a dust catcher I think a Jr would clear..tight but I think it would....I think your goals are completly doable with what you have, just need to rearrange the letters a bit....Mikey's 505 is running 11 teens so you can do it too..... crazy

Davey, the last Moyer engine I saw on eBay went for just over 10k. And that one was in pieces. Truly no advantage to not building a real one. But the cool factor is about the same.

pretty amazing little tike.....coolness is there for sure....too bad it sounds like a Testor beginner plane...

Wolfie, right now with the Air Gap I am 1.75 inches from the bowl vent to the hood brace. Remember there is also a 3/4 Notrous plate under there as well.My main guru Frank seems to think why his combo, read that my combo is not running up to snuff. He has the exact heads, cam and intake in a 70 Chevelle running 10.90. The only difference is the compression. I am 10.25:1 and he his 11:1. Is it really time to get off my wallet and buy a Glasstek? Nope, I'm broke.

But how much does that Chevelle weigh?

According to David Vizards book on building horsepower. 11:1 to 10:1 should give you a horsepower reduction of 1.5% of total power output, so not a ton. I realize it can be multiplied depending on cam design, but say it was even 5%, that would be only 25 HP.

Do your ET deduction for the weight, and the 1-2 tenths from the compression and where does that put you?

Is the intake port matched? Spacers? Shift RPMs? I'm not a fan, but did you try without an aircleaner? Lots of stuff to play with yet that is free.

The 70 Velle weighs 3700 with Frank in it. I am a foot taller but we weigh the same. The Victor is ported to Mike(72LS5) Edelbrock Aluminum ovals he bought from me twenty or so years ago. Maybe it was two years ago.

But it is amazinly on the money to the Merlins. And the Air Gap is matched to the Merlins. No spacers, just the plate.

Justin , with your math I should be 11.70s. Right at your car. Over a second off.

Years ago I got my first chassis dyno with a company called Renn Tech. Benz gurus. They build amazing stuff. Their shop was across the parking lot from where I was wrenching at the time. I sold them batteries and wiper blades I got free dynol time.

The car was my 81 Malibu with the baddest 468 known to man. Just finished the drivetrain and out of money for paint. Time to have some fun. First pull it averaged a 321 horsepower.Not near as bad as it seems. The air fuel was not reading so I pulled a plug. Looked like the choke was stuck. No choke. I pulled the carb apart and it 95/97 jetting. I went big and rest them at 81/86. It pulled 478 hp at 6200 rpm. A/F was still 10:1. It was late and I needed out by 6 to head to the track. I jetted again 79/83 and first pass it went 10.80.

After playing with the timing the car went 10.50 three passes later. And cleaned house around town. That was pre 9.11.

The Monte suffers from something. I really want to try the .657 Comp solid lifter cam. I think it bypass some of the weight the car inherently has. I am not willing to give up my interior. Or my frame. I think the few mods will only take a day and I can be back at the track by weds. Cam is already out, last part of the project is the headers. The biggest difference of mine and Franks car is headers. He runs Super Comps with race magnums. I run 1 3/4 with open headers and have a new in the box of Super Comps.

I would love to compare how much a difference they make on a higher horse engine, but I have 45 minuutes in teardown. Time is hard to come by. On top of owning my own company I own a large collection of turtles that I love dearly.

So Sunday I get up early and get the thing test driven before Monday. Yeah, I am that guy, to this day, that does burnouts in the parking lot. My fan club includes about 10 Mexicans waiting in front of Uhaul to find work. Well dressed as well. Home Depot kicked them out.

See Ya!

Andy

Andy, I run a vic jr with a flat hood It did pick up a little with the change. It is tight but fits no air cleaner at the track also.

Keep going some suspension work and the 60s should pick up.