Track Results, 11/3/10

Andy's Auto

Pulled the car off the rollback and headed for tech. As I stopped I got a wisp of smoke from the left hand part of the firewall. Never really shook the car down after the cam/intake/header swap so I got my sticker and wristband and headed for the staging lanes. Did a small burnout and headed for the tree. I stage and the car rolls forward. I pump the brakes, absolutely nothing, to the floor. I ran a 53.40@13 mph. Took all day to make it down the track but I just couldn't justify hitting the brake pedal if I was spraying fluid all over the place.

When I built this car two years ago I made every steel line in it by hand. Brake fluid attracts moisture so I figured if there was an issue it would be on the inside of the lines so I replaced everything. The smoke in tech? No clue. Put it on the rollback and had Bunny pump the shot out of it but not a drop anywhere. It looks like my master might have taken a dump but like inside of a dog, it is too dark to see.

Gonna fix it before Friday cause according to the love of my life, we will get better "air" as it will be in the 50's. Good for her, not good for a big engine on slicks on a cold track.

Andy

I would never consider asking. Once you get through the gate it is your responsibility to make the car run. Turns out the master cylinder took a dump on me. Not even two years old. Time for an upgrade, but I only have a day and a half to do it.

Andy

yea, that could've been a lot worse. If it had just one more pump left in it, you would have been at terminal velocity before you realized you had a problem. My local track doesn't have a runaway truck ramp, and they don't supply toilet paper at the far end.

And I had some rusty looking crud come out of the lines when I poppoed the master off so I might as well head over to Mako Hose and get a roll of 1/8 and 1/4 inch stainless. PITA to work with but I am not about to lose a $2200 Macco paint job to bad brakes.Lol., No really, better get Macco. I have a Justin, Mike, Bill, and Davey to catch up to. And I feel like I am being killed here.

Andy

yea, that could've been a lot worse. If it had just one more pump left in it, you would have been at terminal velocity before you realized you had a problem. My local track doesn't have a runaway truck ramp, and they don't supply toilet paper at the far end.

Amen brother... I *DID* loose mine at the end of the track.. and you ain't kiddin' about the t.p! when you watching those oak trees approaching at 90mph...

thankfully my local track has a LOT of shutdown room, plus a big grassy field before you get to the oak trees..

hey my brother, just a small set back. Like everyone has said best that it happened where it did, your mojo is still good. I kinda had an adventure like that when I swapped to the Dynalite Wilwoods...got to the end and whoa nelly...forgot to read the fine print about needing the 7/8" master... eek

ya know the Velle is not that uncomfortable with open headers (sorry I don't like the sound of cut outs)..I run 10" x 3 1/2" collector extensions, gives it a very deep and sort of mellow sound...back in the day the header guys said they help your low end numbers...I don't know the car works so I leave them on...something you might wanna try....I still run a cool can too, old habits die hard...what time will you be a the track Friday...I'll try and give you a call from Fontana....peace...Davey

Davey, just finished up the WHOA things and the exhaust and boy am I tired. Definately a different sound. I would not be caught dead driving that thing on the street. Hell, I pulled myself over and tried to write ME a ticket. Not quiet at idle and loud as all get out when the go pedal is applied. But she stops and is now NMCA legal for 10.5 competition if I choose to go that route.

The Miffies are just 3.5 inch full through Race Magnums. I run those in tandem with the 40 series Flowmaters on the 454SS farm truck. Love those Flowmaters.

It is time to call Dr. Coan for a convertor. My torque peak is right around 4500 if my derierre is correct and she stalls at 3200 now. Give a tenth save a grand? Maybe later.

The big cam seems to labor under 2500 but when the converor flashes all you see is sky. Feeling spent, I pulled out.

Luvin it

Ondinator

I ran a 53.40@13 mph.

I think that is a record right there, I would put that in my signature... lol

Can't wait to hear what it can really run.

Originally Posted By: Andy's Auto
I ran a 53.40@13 mph.

I think that is a record right there, I would put that in my signature... lol

Can't wait to hear what it can really run.

Bill, it scared the crap out of me. Luckily it was a by run and no one was lined up behind me. Never went over 2000 rpm and never took it out of first. Just cruised. All I could hear over the loudspeaker was the announcer asking over and over what happened. They checked the track and closed it an hour later for rain.

Kaint wait for tomorrow. The Monte is pulling the tires off the ground in the parking lot. Might just wait on a new convertor. Talked to Madam Cleo today. The trans will finally break tomorrow.

Andy

Handy Andy, I'm pooped too, spent the day doing maintenance on the Velle so I can run starting tomorrow (goes all weekend). Inspected the driveline pieces, checked all the attachie things, pulled out the old oil, cut the filter and looked for trouble (didn't find any), put in some new glow plugs, pulled the covers and checked all the things that go up and down. everything A okay...

I have 3 1/2" race Borla's and they satisfy the must have mufflers clause and that's about it. I used to use 'em when I did street legal days but now they just find their way on to Buttercup's car if she chooses to do that.

If you call the doctor ask for Craig, he's done all mine (3). I now have a 9" billet 4500, it's very drivable but I wouldn't take it cross country. It's not as loose at that Hughes but hits the number when you nail it....

Rest up and enjoy that good air Hunny Bunny is predicting. I'll try to call you from Fontucky tomorrow afternoon, I'll be doing test n tune...the Davey