Headlights

Guest chantel

Guest chantel

I am looking for headlights for my 1972,some people are saying they are the wrong ones.Have replacements on it from the autoparts store.Tried one junkyard so far that my husband Robby's friend Mitch runs.Has one,one is gone and the other is broken.Having someone else looking,my friend Jess's father and he said that he has a pair for mine still in the original boxes.I hope this is good news to my ears and hear from her father tommorrow on this with good news.My friend Jess's father knows where they are,last set he has giving them to me for free and fit a 1970 to 1972 Monte Carlo.

The "correct" headlights are nice if you are showing at events that looks at the chalk marks and all that good stuff. If you are driving it at night there may be better headlights out there. I like the silver star lamps that I put in mine. but then again I am not much of a numbers matching guy.

Get you some new Headlights, those Sylvania ones like Mike is talking about are great.

The original lights in our cars have been referred to as Candle sticks...

didn't FGMC's come with Halogen bulbs?

i thought we stopped using basic incandescent's around the mid 60's?

I know leo has a number of Vintage used headlights that can be tested and shipped.. not sure what else you can do.

Guest chantel

I am getting the set my friend Jess's father had.Gave me a call last night and found them,NOS headlights marked 1970 to 1972 Monte Carlo on the boxes.The currant ones do not look right to me at all,it was restored 3 years ago and the headlights stick a little bit.

What looks "wrong" about the ones you have? If you want the original orange-burning type, they might be harder to find...but the replacement halogen type are everywhere and make driving much nicer.

I saw a 60's mustang driving down the road one day.. and his lights were so dim I thought his alternator was gone..

turned out he had original non-halogen bulbs in it.. they were horrible!

With minor modifications to the core support and headlight buckets I converted mine over to a new style but original looking H4, they are bright! Not as much as some of the HID's i've seen but 110% brighter than stock.

richradsstuff.com is where I got mine from. He used to do all the Autorama shows here in town, so I bought them in person but him and his wife are good people to deal with. So I wouldn't worry about online transactions or shipping or anything like that...

Are the "correct" ones T-3's?

Indeed, at least until 1971

The GM cars with 4 headlamp systems used the T-3 bulbs through 1971.

The GM cars with 2 headlamp systems used T-3s through 1969.

http://www.lectriclimited.com/images/lf-T3_bulb_chart.pdf

I also found this message board post:

The 1970 Monte Carlo debut the new Power Beam headlight.It is mentioned in the Communciaction kit as being such.It seems to be the headlight of choice as it was a single and much bigger headlight,so they went with a more powerful beam for this somewhat higher end "Elegant" car.There are a few TSB's and Service Bulletins referring to this too.In the years to follow,they all went to the Power Beam and single design headlamp.

wallaby is right on this one.

The factory installed 6014 power beam headlights. You can readily find 6016 which were heavy duty replacements as I understand. They have gotten quite pricy since the Power Beams aren't reproduced.

There is a guy on ebay that sells them routinely. He tests them before they are sold to make sure they work. I've dealt with him over the years at Carlisle.