dual sport mirrors?

bobsmc

Bob, your link doesn't work so I can't see the mirrors in question but I bought some repro mirrors from OPG a while back. Can't find them on their site anymore but it was same design as the optional remote with a similar looking one for the pax side to get a balanced look. Here are some comments:

- they look good (so far)

- they don't have the drain hole like the factory ones

- the angle is not the same so they needed a lot of shimming with home made rubber "gaskets" I had to make to get them to be reasonably straight. I suspect they fit better on the Chevelle door.

- the remote part is crap, the direction you move the lever has no bearing on where the mirror will point so you need to adjust it by hand. However, once adjusted it is OK

- the pax side is not a convex mirror like modern cars to give you the visibility you would expect for lane changes so I bought a stick on 1" dia mirror at Autozone. I remember discussing this on a previous thread, if I find I will add the link.

Hope this helps

Hope this helps.

im talking about the bullet style mirrors that are on other gm cars.not the chrome ones.

i modified a set from firebird mirrors i got from the bone yard but wanted a new set that where perfect.

at 400 dollars i would hope that they fit great!

bob

Those mirrors are a Parts Place exclusive. I've been eye balling them for sometime now but unable to justify the $400. Dan is also thinking about them. I think you can buy just the passenger mirror but he want's like $300 just for that one because he wants to sell them as pairs. Maybe some day he'll sell just the passengers at a more reasonable price.

Steve

That's what I thought. Now I was able to get the link but no photo. OPGI has that style mirror also. Linky About half the price but maybe half as good.

If you get the ones you are looking at, I'd be curious to get your review. I have rarily found aftermarket stuff that did not have some issues.

i agree that aftermarket is always a problem thats why im tring to get an opinion.

im sure someone here has to have popped for them.they have been available for some time now.

the no photo thing is what gets me.why no photo ?

bob

bruce

i have bullet style mirrors but i had to trim the base to get them to sit outside the window and im not completely happy with the finished product.

the chrome is nice but not the style im going for.

bob

A member near me (Cory) actually cut the base of the mirror to the proper angle and made a gasket out of some hard rubber.

05pcbc112.jpg

They look great and, in my opinion, are a much better option than paying $400.

I am looking into the Parts Place mirrors as well. I am probably going to order a set within the next month.

Beware those ones you saw on Ebay.

Ebay Sport Mirrors

I think it is the same place I had bought a pair from before.

Bullet Mirror.com

I'm guessing they were Cutlass or something else. They had the really thick gasket trying to correct the angle. Didn't work, looked terrible, sent them back.

i purchased these mirrors a few years back and they did not fit!

its a big hassle returning them and i had to pay the return shipping. the ad is dishonest because he already knows that they will not fit properly.im sure im not the only person that had to return them.

they where not even close to fitting as they sat inside the glass.could not roll the window up.

unless they have changed something i would not waste my time with them.

dennis,

im not in a hurry since the car is put away for the winter.please post some pics and details on fit if you get them.

bob

Hey Bob,

I currently only have the left side factory bullet mirror on my car...I'm not crazy about driving without the right but I'm not sure which year and body style to even start to modify for it.

Aaron...did Cory tell you what that mirror started as?

Steve

i used a pair of 77 firebird mirrors on my 71.they are to short to begin with so i dont recommend them.

what i was thinking about doing was having a tool and die company create a solid mirror base that can be screwed to the firebird mirror head[bullet].i just dont know how to make a sample for them to work off of.

that would be a gold mine if it could be done.there are plenty of bullet style mirrors from newer g bodys ,etc. that can be converted.

i cant believe someone like luttys or opgi has not put something out along those lines,someone with the r&d resources.

hopefully someone will see this and steal my idea.lol

bob

Not really sure what your looking for but the ones in my siggy also come in paintable black,fit great,look good and have been on there over 10 years so they have held up well.Orielys auto parts 59.99

The Parts Place uses the head of a available mirror and as stated above ....only had the base manufactured for the passenger side. They then swap out the passenger side base for the correct one sell them by the set. The drivers side are repro'd so Iam sure you get a repro drivers side remote mirror and then the passenger side with correct base. Pricey, but they did all the design and R&D and must recoop their expense.

I ordered a set 4 weeks ago. The bases are currently being manufactured because they ran out. Should be available sometime in January.

Dan

Hey Bob,

I currently only have the left side factory bullet mirror on my car...I'm not crazy about driving without the right but I'm not sure which year and body style to even start to modify for it.

Aaron...did Cory tell you what that mirror started as?

Steve

the mirrors were from an 80s cutlass so he had to cut the base to the right angle for his 71. I'm sure the experiment is worth a try since these mirrors can be found pretty cheap. It seemed to work for Cory and he did not spend very much money to make them.

I did mine years ago. I used Ponitac Ventura Mirrors and I added to the bottom with metal filler. They still look good. I believe they were 1973. Also Nova 70-73 will work. The angle on the bottom should be 15 degree angle to sit right on top of the door.

Hey Guys,

If anyone is just looking for the driver side remote sport mirror I think I have some left in the attic. They came off of 72 customs and have been stripped of paint and are in primer. I already have them on all three of my montes.

Mike

Thanks Mike!

Of course the kicker is I want both sides.

And The Parts Place knows exactly how to get ya where it hurts.

They only sell them as a set.

One would think they would sell the right one seperately, even if it was for a couple of hundred bucks. They would surely move them to the folks with the driver side only mirror.