dual sport mirrors?

bobsmc

Most of the time when I have seen sport mirrors on a Monte it was on a 72 Custom because it came as part of the "Custom" package. I think you could have ordered them as an option but I have only ever seen one Monte with "dual" sport mirrors. The ones that I have came off of 72 "Custom" Montes and will work on any 70-72 Monte because the doors are the same.

Mike

For those who have asked, I have posted some pics of the 72 Monte Custom mirrors that I have at the following link:

http://s477.photobucket.com/albums/rr138/packard36/72%20Custom%20Sport%20Mirrors/

As I mentioned earlier, they are 100% complete and correct for 70-72 montes. They have been disassembled, cleaned and the mirror head and mirror base have been stripped, DAed and primed and are ready for color.

Let me know if you have any questions.

Mike

Hey Dennis,

When you get them installed, let us all know (especially) the passenger side fit and how functional it is for viewing. Maybe even a pic to see how they look?

Maybe a few more will jump with your critique.

Doug

i purchased these mirrors a few years back and they did not fit!

its a big hassle returning them and i had to pay the return shipping. the ad is dishonest because he already knows that they will not fit properly.im sure im not the only person that had to return them.

they where not even close to fitting as they sat inside the glass.could not roll the window up.

unless they have changed something i would not waste my time with them.

dennis,

im not in a hurry since the car is put away for the winter.please post some pics and details on fit if you get them.

bob

Originally Posted By: 72-classicride
Hey Dennis,

When you get them installed, let us all know (especially) the passenger side fit and how functional it is for viewing. Maybe even a pic to see how they look?

Maybe a few more will jump with your critique.

Doug

Will do guys.

I ordered my stuff 12/28/10 and haven't received any further information on when they will be shipping.

Dennis

• 3 months later...

Revisiting the sport mirrors...

I ordered mine from The Parts Place at the end of December.

I still haven't received them and they still can't give a date when they will be available so I gave up and canceled my order frown. The last thing I wanted was to forget about the order and then have a $400 pair of mirrors show up out of the blue a year from now.

I have decided to go with the chrome remote driver's mirror with the matching passenger mirror. They seem to be a little easier to come by and I hope to be ordering them soon.

I installed the matching passenger-side mirror (to the remote driver's-side) last year using the Bruce Stange's (stangeba) great installation write-up in the Tech Archive forum for guidance (see "Adding a right chrome mirror").

Very pleased with the look and fit.

Revisiting the sport mirrors...

I ordered mine from The Parts Place at the end of December.

I still haven't received them and they still can't give a date when they will be available so I gave up and canceled my order frown. The last thing I wanted was to forget about the order and then have a $400 pair of mirrors show up out of the blue a year from now.

I have decided to go with the chrome remote driver's mirror with the matching passenger mirror. They seem to be a little easier to come by and I hope to be ordering them soon.

I just found this eBay listing from the Parts Place for dual retangular outside mirrors (not remote control) for '70 - '72 Monte Carlos.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/70-72-MONTE-CARLO-STOCK-RECTANGULAR-CHROME-MIRROR-SET-/270537650177?pt=Vintage_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&fits=Year%3A1970%7CModel%3AMonte+Carlo&hash=item3efd4cf001

Of course, I don't know the quality of these mirrors, but they are new and they look exactly like the pair I have on my '70. Unless someone already has a driver's side remote control mirror, this is a fairly low-cost way to get dual outside mirrors. Before Mark (Wallaby) taught me how to tighten up my current mirrors last fall, I was considering buying a new pair myself. The best price I could find then was $80 a pair plus shipping so this looks like a good deal to me.

Dennis, those mirrors are fine but you have to give them a good old fashioned coat of turtle wax or they will pepper up after a few months. My 70 had a set on for five months and rust started to show through. PP let me return bot for another set. Waxed the snot out of them and three years later they are still perfect.

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks for the suggestions everybody!

A new plan has been formulated.

I bought a pair of mirrors from about a '78 Cutlass and my body guy is going to modify them to fit.

Will post pics when he gets them done.

Going to paint in the not so distant future!

• 1 month later...
Thanks for the suggestions everybody!

A new plan has been formulated.

I bought a pair of mirrors from about a '78 Cutlass and my body guy is going to modify them to fit.

Will post pics when he gets them done.

Going to paint in the not so distant future!

I started modifying my mirrors today. I got the mirrors from a 1984 Cutlass. This is just a rough draft right now but it is coming along really well. I grinded the base to form to the door and then retapped the holes with the same screws that came on the mirror. I just have to make the base gasket better. Here are a couple of pics. What do you all think of the progress so far?

HPIM0449-1.jpgHPIM0450-1.jpg

ditto
Originally Posted By: 70mcarlo
Nice - looks like you've got the angle just right! smile

Thanks guys. A little trial and error goes a long way. But for $17 a pair for the mirrors you can't go wrong. Much better than $400 for Damn sure....

• 1 year later...

I ordered a set from the parts place just before their stock ran out in Nov 2010. GM no longer able to supply the arms they were using for there design. HAve been looking for someone to be the new supplier. I call them every 6 months or so and they still say they are in the works! Called yesterday and they are on it. So all I can say is stay tuned. They haven't pulled them from the site ..... good news!

Dan

• 5 years later...
  • 1 year later...