Project TFTF Tokyo Drift monte

Stroker-383

They make clips you can put on the rockers if they are stock rockers to keep the oil from shooting all over. It still makes a little mess grin

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have seen guys try the adjust while running experiment and spray oil all the way past the fenders! Get the clips or cut or cut a valve cover in half

It sure helps to do one side at a time also. smile

Only remove the valve cover from the side you are going to work on. When you are done there, put the cover back on and move to the other side. I tried removing all the bolts from the covers once, and just leave the cover resting in place, and that didn't work out too well...without the bolts, they leak as bad as if they had been removed.

• 3 weeks later...

Here are some pics of car with new wheels!!!

Cragar 397 8 x 27

295/50/15 at the rear

255/60/15 in the front!

foto1518.jpg

foto1519.jpg

1972montecarlorw.jpg

installed the original clone steering wheel (cheap but cool)

dsc06735g.jpg

Simpson seatbelts

dsc06736w.jpg

not clone-ish, but we had a bad accident in 2001, with 3-point seatbelts en made 2,5 roll with a chevy suburban 1976... and ended up at the boddem of the car. So i want to be save now..

( my moms in a wheelchair because of this accident... wasnt our fault btw )..

Next up:

Ajusting the rocker arms ( roller arms ) , now i have the valve covers and fel-pro valve cover gaskets etc.

more pics to come!

• 2 months later...

I recently picked up the only remaining original movie condition big block 4 speed from the movie and put these same Cooper Cobra tires on it before I saw this thread - exact same rears 295/50/15 and similar fronts 245/60/15. It rides so much better now than with the dirt race tires it came with - they prior owner also through in a pair of the slicks used in the movie. Tokyo Drift Monte

• 2 weeks later...

Hi all,

Its been a while since I've posted something here, but most of the "problems" are solved.

First I pulled of the valve covers on the right side ( standing in front of the car ) because of the ticking noise was coming from that side the most.

Immediately i noticed that one rocker arm was to loose, i looked at the center adjusting screw and noticed there were two small cracks inside the head of the adjusting screw, i think that is why it had to much space and made a ticking noise. so pulled out the old one, had a new one lying around and put it in, adjusted it again, also i checked the rest of the rocker arms and found two more with to much space...

Also after doing the right side, i adjusted the left side, found three that were to loose, adjusted them as well, and what...

She's running like a beauty!

Also mounted the new spectre performance fabricated aluminum valve covers.

Mounted the Autometer tacho ,pro comp, 5" with external shifter light etc. on the steering column. this is how it looked and looks.

rockerarms.jpg

steeringwheelandautogau.jpg

steeri.jpg

And yes guys, those old rusted out standard headers are going out and will be replaced by two ceramic coated hookers soon!

Also i found a very nice link to some outrageous autocrossing projects that i have been on every evening and reading everything. Hope some guys know about this:

Modifiers heaven!

• 1 year later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 4 months later...

Hey guys,

Been awhile that i posted something regarding my project monte carlo because of several business progresses and expanding my own company. ( custom painting, motorcycle paintwork, pinstriping, goldleafing, etc. ) but now i've got the time again!!

last January i've decided that im going to change my monte carlo with, what some call, an extreme set up.

I found a used but excellent engine, that is going to replace my 383 stroker ( now about 500hp to the flywheel, after some modifications i did last summer ( 2012 ).. ( i blew my trans once, fixed it, then twisted my primairy driveshaft, fixed that and than smoked 2 sets of rear tires in about a month time )

Every time i feel the power of the car i want even more haha, so i bought a 496 cui big block stroker with a pretty wild solid cam ( comp cams, comp can lifters, holley 1000cfm carb, alu heads, ported and polished ) .. with about 680hp to the flywheel for that extra ( whoo ) puch* uch .. having a stroke when flooring it :-) ...

Now the engine part is taken care of, i'm in search of a new tranny.. since the 700r4 cant handle that extra punch.. im thinking, a 400r powerglide will do the trick but maybe im thinking about manual shifting it!! With a muncie 4 spd ( anyone got suggestions on reinforcements or pakkage deals? )...or maybe problems and other things that might come up when building a set up like this?...

also im now on a vacation , these past two weeks ( from 14 febr till 12 march ) in the area of daytona, florida, for the daytona speed week ( i saw the crazy and horriffing crash on friday , from the Z tower at the track and bought me a set of Goodyear Eagle racing tires ( 28x10 ) slicks for the car to drive as a daily ( illegal in the netherlands but who gives a f*&k ).. for that extra grip and smoke haha

now it turns and goes, im in need of a full coil over kit for a 70/72 monte, ( QA1 or something else that i can work with or can ajust.. ) and a posi 12 bolt ( or 9" ) rearend. ( note: im going to box the chassis from front till back , and weld the complete body of the car trough and through for extra stiffness.. including fabricating a complete rollcage )

Im currently staying near daytona / orlando /miami for vacation/business and if someone knows anyone or a company nearby ( maybe 200miles from here , not a problem ) please let me know.. i prefer second hand parts ( used parts ), or from a junkyard or swapmeet just let me know. ( tomorrow im at bushnell, webster, car en vintage cars show ) and will be here nearby daytona untill 11 march.

If you guys know anyone with that sort of part, please let me know!

thanks! 20130222_212518.jpg

Keisler has manual transmission that will handle that horsepower. They are not cheap. They have 5 and 6 speed gearboxes for high HP applications.

Okay, i heard a company in the neighbourhood saying that its possible, but takes a lot of money in reinforcing stuff ... The guy that sold me the engine told me he trashed 2 transmissions .. one was a 400r ( B&M reinforced - new!! ) that he trashed by flooring it in second gear when driving 50 mph , the converter couldnt take it and slipped like hell... then burned the trans.. The second one was a powerglide , that when installed he drove about 20miles with it, floored it at about 30 mph, and the trans blew apart... haha i was there and there was a lot of debree and oil... So he picked up the transmission parts, wrapped it, and gave it back to the supplier and given a ( under warranty ) new transmission ( powerglide reinforced, 2 gears ) .. but that transmission is sold ( damnit )...

QA1 coilovers are great but rear coilover kit, its bracket has to welded. Detroit speed makes excellent coilovers and rear bracket only requires a simple bolt in. Here is a member using them link