Tire Brand Recommendations PLEASE ...

Well, I've just about given up on the BF Goodrich white raised lettered tires that most of us have been using for years. The last couple of sets that I purchased always developed a problem before the tread was worn out. One tire broke a tread inside and now around one has caused a severe vibration in the rear when I get to around 60 mph. I always liked the look of the white letters but I've noticed lots of cars at shows with black walls and they look pretty good.

What would be a good brand of tire to use on a monte with 15x7 rally wheels that won't have any problems?

Thanks!!

Mike

Hey Mike, if your after Raised White Letters still but different than BFG and is acceptable for obvious reasons unless you burn them off...Go with what I have on the chevelle, from Coker Tire in a radial but has the Bias Ply look...A G70 Firestone Wide Oval "O" Tire??

They were a equivilant of a 235-70-15 I believe and have white letters and I get asked all the time are they the original tires as they are cool and have the factory look with letters....

just my 2 cents worth..

Darren.

Collector's Auto Supply is a dealer for Coker Tires. If you want that period correct white letter tire look like Darren stated above, give them a call and tell them what you need.

My Monte's not back on the road yet, but I went with the Firestone Firehawk Indy 500s.

I asked for opinions here as well and also read a lot of comments via Google searching. Then I went to Tire Rack, Tire Rack, and did comparisons as well as read the customer reviews. When I bought mine the choice was pretty much BFG T/As, Goodyear Eagle GT IIs, or Firestone Firehawk Indy 500s. Based on the ratings and reviews I went with the Firestones, white letter in. They ranked the best of the three overall.

Hi Mike,

I went with P255/60R/15 all around. This is the size the guy doing my car is running on his Monte.

I ordered them from here Tire Buyer.com . They had free shipping when I ordered mine. Great customer service too. UPS lost one and they immediately sent another.

Cooper Cobra's were recommended to me as a replacement for BFG. I'm starting to think Michilen has lost interest in the BFG Radial T/A tire line. Lot's of folks are having issues and they can be hard to come by. When my fronts go I won't be replacing them with BFG's. If I end up keeping my car it will be going the cruiser route vs race car and all my wheels/tires will be replaced with larger diameter pieces. Makes for a lot more tire options where you can even have a "W", or a "Z" rated tire for handling. Big brakes will be on all four corners as well. The old reliable 15" wheels are becoming a thing of the past.

• 2 months later...

Looks like i'll will be visiting this subject sooner than I thought as I ruined a tire an my show this past weekend. I have 225 70 all the way around right now am thinking about going to 60s as it will lower the car just a bit and give me the look I want but didnt think a 245 or 255 would go on a 7 inch rim so good but if they will im all set. Maybe 255 60 on rear and 225 60 front, What do ya think?

Looks like i'll will be visiting this subject sooner than I thought as I ruined a tire an my show this past weekend. I have 225 70 all the way around right now am thinking about going to 60s as it will lower the car just a bit and give me the look I want but didnt think a 245 or 255 would go on a 7 inch rim so good but if they will im all set. Maybe 255 60 on rear and 225 60 front, What do ya think?

Steve,

What you suggest will probably work, although most tire size calculator programs warn against diameter differences greater than 3% (braking concerns). A 225/60-15 is over 6% smaller diameter (shorter) tire than your current 225/70-15s and over 5% smaller than a 255/60-15 (which is just slightly smaller/shorter than your current tire).

Unless you just want a particular look, you can run 255/60s all the way around as Aaron does on his '70. On my 4-speed car, I am using 255/60-15 on stock 7X15 (4" backspace) rally wheels on the front and I am certain they will also fit on the rear although I have 275/60-15s back there on 8X15 (5" backspace) rallys.

Both of my '70s had 245/60s all the way around when I got them (the SS car still does) but since that tire is 2% smaller/shorter than a stock 27" tire, the speedometers were off (read too fast). A 255/60 is almost identical in diameter/height to a stock 27" tire. Don't know your rear gear ratio or the type of driving you do, but rear tires that are smaller/shorter than stock will require higher rpms for highway crusing than stock or larger tires, especially if you have a higher (numerically) ratio rear gear.

There are several tire size calculators online. If you use 205/75-15 as the stock tire, you can compare any of the other sizes and profiles to it and quickly learn what the changes will be. I used the following one tonight but there are others: http://www.1010tires.com/TireSizeCalculator.asp?action=submit

I see what your saying but I just want a little bit narrower tire on the front than the rear but not to much because I do drive the car in all situtations, highway and around town its a stock rear end for now but when I switch it over to a posi im not going to go to high because I do drive it where ever I go. I would like a little bit of a rake but not going crazy with it. I think the car sits high enough that a half inch or so lower will be fine but want to stay with the same series front and back just a bit wider on the rear. Thank you for the imput would hate to make a bad mistake where safty is concerned.

As Dennis said a 255/60 will work on a 7 inch wide rim as I run a 255/50 on a 16x7 rim the tire will have a little bulge to it. On the rear is it a 15x8 rim or a 15x7? One item I would worry about with a 255/60 on the rear is it rubbing.

As Dennis said a 255/60 will work on a 7 inch wide rim as I run a 255/50 on a 16x7 rim the tire will have a little bulge to it. On the rear is it a 15x8 rim or a 15x7? One item I would worry about with a 255/60 on the rear is it rubbing.

I believe the backspace of the wheel is the critical measurement for rear tire clearance. A 7X15 rim with a 4" backspace places the outer rim exactly as far from the hub as a 8X15 with a 5" backspace (the extra inch all goes to the inside). Since a 275/60 on such an 8" rim clears an untrimmed/unrolled wheel opening by a good 1/2", I am quite certain that a 255/60 on a 7" rim (w/4" bs) will clear as much or more. The question is, what is the actual backspace of your wheels?

Unless you already have, the safest thing to do is to measure it. Take a wheel off the car (assuming the spare might be different), lay it on its face put a straight edge across the back edge of the rim and measure directly down to the surface of the wheel that meets the hub. Or, you can lay a longer straightedge across the outside bulge of the tire and measure down to the mounting surface and then subtract the measurement down to the outside edge of the rim to get the actual backspace measurement. If your 7X15 rims only have 3.5" of backspace, the edge of the tire will have .5" less clearance than the same tire on a 7X15 rim with a 4" backspace (regardless of the tire size).

I know a 255/60 on a 7X15 rim with 4" backspace will work, but I have not tried them on a 7X15 rim with only 3.5" backspace.

I checked the rim I have and it is a 4 inch back space. I am going to check one other place before I make a desison if I get the right deal I may just change all 4 tires and rims now and get it over with. If I cant cut the right deal I may just get a set of 70 series Mickey Thompsons for the back for now. I guess its ok to mix m/t on the rear with another brand on the front.

• 2 weeks later...

Well it looks like im going with the Mickey Thompsons front and rear, 235/60 front and 255/60 rear and the Jegs polished aluim wheels. The ones that look like the centerlines. Now all I have to do is pull the trigger and order them. Thanks for the help guys.

Better show us some pics when you get those in and mounted. laugh

I'm probably going to change my rims and might go with wider tires as well. I too use 225/70/15 in Hoosier tires. Not sure if the current rims are 7 or 8 inch. My only issue is I already scrape headers. Need to find something else to tuck them up higher.

• 3 weeks later...

Well I changed my mind I just got the rear ones and going to stay with the rims I have for now. Life got in the way again my garage door broke and had to order a new one and my deck project is going over budget too. I will get them mounted up this weekend and put up pictures.

I put the new tires on today

Out with the old

IMG_0440.jpg

In with the new

IMG_0441.jpg

Also progress on the deck also had to throw that in too

IMG_0446.jpg

Took it out for a short ride today everything seemed good will find out tomorrow am going around 70 miles or so to a show, will see if spedo is off or not.

Looks good Steve.

I have a set of 255/60 R15's that were ont the car when I bought it. I would like to put them on some 15x8 Rallys this winter. I am going to look for 2 more 15x8 rallys next weekend at auto swap meet.

It's my understanding they are only good for around 6 years then the rubber starts breaking down. I have seen many that are dry rotted from sitting in the weather over a few years.