newby with a 3 on tree

dane hladky

hi joined because i think iam gonna need help on this. found a 70 mc . car has a 400 auto--but has unmolested peddle assy. for stick (clutch pedal) looked very hard and appears to be oem. careful inspect shows was probably a 3 on the tree. would like to bring back to oem or poss. sell car.. is this car rare?? what is something like this worth???. what is the chances of finding a column?? should i just pop a 4 speed in it??

The 3 on the tree was the base transmissiion only available with the 350 2-barrell engine so it is pretty rare but not worth anything significant.

Welcome.

As it was said they are rare but who realy wants to shift it that way...six speed would be ultimate... grin

Welcome, lot's of help available here. 3 on tree would be a novelty at car shows, I've never seen one. However, agree with the others, from a practical perspective you would probably find a 5 speed to be more enjoyable.

Welcome to the FGMCC site and I agree with others, a neat novelty but not real desireable. Does the dash have an automatic tranny selector indicator. If it does I would say it is a car that someone was starting to change over to a standard.

Rob

I myself like ALL stick shift cars, so it would be cool for me to have. My old 65 F85 was 3 on the tree(winter beater), and thats how I learned to drive a stick. Fun to drive too.

The column itself, if it was not changed out, should have all the shift levers coming thru it. There should be two levers, vice one for an auto.

Welcome to the FGMCC site, Dane.

Unfortunately, I don't believe the cowl tag will tell you the information you're looking for. Like others have said, it sounds like a great car to put a 4, 5, or 6-speed tranny into, though!

smile

Dave

yeah, unfortunately, the original column is not there but the guy i bought it off of called the guy that he bought it from while i was standing there and said he changed it over to a auto shift but said it was a three on the tree. after careful inspection, i noticed these plastic like shims that were in the pedal assy. that look to have never been disturbed.. with all that bs said, dont think i will complete the car and move it down the road--great car, outstanding condition but no time--