3.5" or 5.5" front wheel?

502ci

I`m looking at finally getting front wheels for drag racing and I`m wondering what width most people run. Also what tire size and make.

The two wheel width choices I have are...15 X 3.5 or 15 X 5.5

I already picked the wheels (Auto Drag, forged) to match my back wheels that have slicks.

I`ve been racing using my Auto Drag billet wheels with 255-60 series tires that are for the street but I want something even lighter for racing.

Bill

cool

502, DO NOT GO WITH THE 3.5'S!!!!!! The monte is to heavy up front and are very unstable at speed with the 3.5's!! Tried it and no matter how the front was set up anything over 100/105 mph was LOAD YOUR SHORTS SCARY!!!!!!!! The front would dart and skid on correction!!! No control!

Don

Yeah I've been thinking about that also, that's got to help some with less roll resistance and a little lighter up front. what have you guys gained by doing this, let us know.

fgmcc

Wow, that was quick.

Any suggestions on tire width and height for a 5.5" wheel?

Non radial to match my 28" tall slick.

26 x 7.5 x 15LT MT Sportsman . 8 ply 26" dia 4.8 tread width, section width 6.3" weight 19 pounds each. Can handle the weight bias ply.

Don

I had 3.5 on the front of my old Chevelle once driving around on the street and tried to make a turn going about 35... It was a bit of a suprise when the car kept going straight... smile I know your not gonna be running them on the street I just thought Id through it in there was a funny experience smile

Tom

Don...

You mention a 26" tall tire, is it better than a 28"?

I was thinking 28" for better weight transfer at launch but I might catch (push) more air at the top end of the track sitting higher (not good).

Is that why you suggested the 26" one?

Bill

Thats part of the reason Heck! The other is it actualy makes for quicker transfer of weight. Even though the tire is shorter it takes less time to lift the smaller dia tire to acheive full transfer.

Don