28x11.5 MT/ET Streets/Will they fit?

dbreese

On the 28x11.5 MT/ET Streets they have a section width of 11.10 inches on a 8" inch rim.

This is the measurement you will be concerned about. Now on the Weld Draglite having 4.5" of backspacing it will put you close to the outer wheel lip.

5" of backspacing is ideal but the 4.5" may work, for sure it will clear the frame but as I said it will bring it close to the lip, is trimming the lip an option? Because that will make it fit for sure...hopefully someone will chime in and verify a fit with no modifications... smile

Also when I`m figuring if a wheel will fit or not I`m always referring to the sidewall clearing the lip and frame, even if the suspension was fully compressed.

I never say it will fit if you have to lift the rear to keep it from hitting the tire... wink

I don't mind triming the lip as long as I can keep the wheel molding. I know with the 26x10.5 I have about 1/2" gap on the lip. The way my exhaust runs I have about 1/2" gap between the pipe and the tire. Course that would be a simple mod if I needed more clearance. lol

Thanks

David

I did not know these were the same wheels you had on before with the smaller tire.

Then the answer is easy...if you had a 1/2" of clearance to the lip then with this new tire you will have just over an 1/8 of an inch of clearance... eek

Here`s how I figured it out...your old tire has a 10.5" of sidewall on that 8" rim, the new has 11.1, a difference of .6, divide this by 2 getting .3

You had a .5" clearance now subtract .3" leaving .2" of clearance...trimming will be necessary... frown

Here`s a view of my lip that I trimmed...I took off quite a bit and there is plenty left.

I have a 1/2" of clearance on mine but my tire and wheel combo are completely different than yours. I think you will have to trim alot less than I did.

2197906_73_full.jpg

You will definatley have to trim the lip, and it's still going to be close, keep in mind when your cornering you could get some rub, you will have to trim the lip all off (it's a water catcher anyway) to make sure you don't rub the tires on a hard turn. 2 cents

Thanks guys. Guess I will have to do some trimming. Bill, what size D/R's do you have? They look rather big lol . What is the best way to trim the lip? Would a grinder/cutoff wheel work?

David

I used a air grinder and took off a little at a time which meant putting the wheel on, lowering it, and taking it off again quite a few times. I also applied por-15 to seal the bare metal forever.

My wheels are 15x8 with 5" of backspacing with 325-50`s with a 1/2" of lip clearance (has never rubbed even with the car sitting low).

1/4" to 3/8" clearance on the frame that has rubbed a little on hard turns but does no harm.

cool

• 2 weeks later...

you know Sam what i like about you , well there are a lot of reasons i like you to many to list , but whenever i have a question you are one of the first i turn to , been there done it kind of guy wink

Leo