Front coil springs

I recently replaced all springs & shocks. My '70 sits high in the front. I used what the speed shop said #6330 for the front.#5379 for the rear. These are Moog part numbers. Here is my question. Has anyone ever cut a spring down to lower front end? and if so, how did you do it? I know they make a "lowering spring" but it only drops 1 inch.

I used an electric cut off tool with a thin cutting wheel. I can't help you though on how much to cut off as I was cutting down my old racing springs and they were quite tall. All I know is the second time I cut them I cut too much and it ended up too low... crazy

First you should drive around for a while with them the way they are..they will settle in a month's time.

I cut one set a 1/4 coil and got about a 1 1/2 inch drop on an AC Monte and I cut another a set a 1/2 coil on a Non-AC Monte and got the same drop.

But I'm going to say that it did negatively effect the ride quality both times. Check my website...My current ride has the factory springs all round but to get the "rake" I wanted I have a 26 inch tall tire on the front and 27 inch tall tire on the rear...see signature.

Steve

You can also add spacers above the rear coil (available in any height you want or there are also adjustible spacers available). This way you can measure wheel opening molding height prior ...... lift chassis till you get the look you want and find the difference in height. Add a spacer that measurement and your done. Easier than cutting coils and no negative effect on ride quality.

Spacers added to front coils add twice their height to ride height of car. You want an add'l 1" in ride height add a 1/2" spacer.

Spacers in rear coils are a 1 to 1 ratio. You want an add'l 1" in ride height add a 1" spacer.

Aluminum spacers available on eBay.

Adjustible ones available in many suspension shops or Budster makes a set.

Dan

Sparky, not sure what engine you are running but I'm in a SB with AC and I used the Moog 6332's Non AC ones which had a much lower spring rate and I got a 1.5 inch drop in the front and the ride is really nice as well. 89.00 bucks at Auto Zone and made in the USA.

Cutting coil springs are a major P.I.T.A. because you really need cut a little off at a time because cutting them just a little can be a MAJOR drop in some cases. Cutting springs off in increments means cutting, installing, dropping the car down, letting them settle, and possibly having to do it all over again. It's best to research and install a spring that doesn't need to be cut at all, JMO.

If you do go the cut route, this site has some good info:

Eaton Springs

If you go the non cut route, this chart will help you to see what kind of spring rates you'll be looking at per your spring part number:

Spring Specs

As you can see, the 6330 has a much higher load rate. If you are running a SB, I'd go with the 6332.

Spring # Inside Dia Bar Dia Install Height Load rate (lbs) Spring Rate (Lbs/in.) Free Height Ends Type

6330 3.68 0.63 11.25 1827 293 17.5 ST

6332 3.69 0.63 12.5 1296 271 17.28 ST