Wheel Width

No, im not asking what I should get. Is there any way to tell if i have 15x7 rallys around or 7s up front 8s in the back. Also how can i tell backspacing?

Thanks,

Mark (rims in sig)

Those backs are def 15x8's and the fronts not too sure...measure how far the derby centercap is flush from the outside of the trim ring in on the back and then the front if it is the same then 15x8 all around other than that they are 15x7....plus the beauty ring is wider on 8's the offset is usualy 5 inch...

Darren.

Sounds easy enough, thanks darren! How could u tell from a side profile pic?

I think he was looking at the shadow in the rear wheel, it looks deep and the front doesn't look as deep but then again it could be an illusion so the only way to be sure is to measure the wheel yourself.

tech-backspace.gif

Items required to measure wheel backspace: Tape measure

Straight edge

Wheel w/o tire (preferred)

The easiest way to measure backspace is to lay the wheel face down onto the ground so the backside of the wheel is facing up. Take a straight edge and lay it diagonally across the inboard flange of the wheel. Take a tape measure and measure the distance from where the straight edge contacts the inboard flange to the hub mounting pad of the wheel. This measurement is backspace. The above photo shows three wheels with 2",3", & 4" backspace.

"Stock" 8" wheels (off a Corvette from that era is what most people use) have 4" of b.s. and the stock 7" Monte wheel has roughly 4" of b.s. also.

• 5 months later...

draggin up an old thread here....

i wanna get these rims: http://www.summitracing.com/parts/CRR-3425734/

7" front 8" back. But Bill and Darren disagreed on backspacing. What backspacing is correct? 4 or 5? these wheels come in 4 or 4.25 backspacing for the 7" and only 4 for the 8".

Hey Mark , Bill was right they are a 4" backspace I dont what I was thinking or why I had 5 on the brain but they are 4" sorry my mistake buddy........also sending you a PM as well..

Check the mesurements on the wheels you have on there the rears do look wider than the fronts in your sig picture. You may find that they are the same size as the ones your looking at and if so you know they will fit. If not you may have to take some measurements to see what will fit. Im pretty sure when I checked mine that 275 60 15s with 8 inch rims and 4 1/2 bs would have worked but ran low on funds so I just replaced the rear tires with 255 60 15s on the 7 inch rims.

i measured from the center to the outside and both front and rears were about 4" (the same)... so some weekend i may have to just pull em off and measure from the inside. I think the shadow is because i have 275 at back

i measured from the center to the outside and both front and rears were about 4" (the same)... so some weekend i may have to just pull em off and measure from the inside. I think the shadow is because i have 275 at back

Mark, I agree with directly measuring the backspace from the inside, especially since you are running different sized tires front and rear. A consistent measurement from the center of the wheel to the outside on both front and back does not mean you have the same backspace IF the wheel widths are different front and back. In fact, you will probably WANT a consistent measurement on the OUTSIDE for both clearance and appearance sake (especially if you use trim rings on your wheels). Of course, the whole point of increasing the backspace on a wider (i.e. 8" rim) is to move the extra width of a larger/wider tire/wheel combo inward toward the frame and not outward toward your quarter panel.

In your signature photo, it looks like you may already have your 275/60-15s on 8" wide rallys and I would bet they have at least 4.5" backspace if not 5". Otherwise, your wheel well lip has probably been altered by rolling or trimming to provide clearance. I did not want to alter the wheel well opening lip when I mounted 275s on the rear so I went with a 5" backspace on an 8" wide rim (the minimum width most tire manufacturers recommend). I have room between the sidewall and the fender lip to insert the fingers of a flattened hand. I also went with 4" backspace on 7" wide wheels on the front with 255s which provide adequate clearance. Those combinations of width/backspace (7/4 front and 8/5 rear) give a consistent outside wheel depth measurement for both clearance and appearance. Just what I've learned from experience .... your setup may be different.

Mark,Someone on here posted all the codes of the chevy factory Ralleys,Don't know where but not too long ago Maybe they'll see this and repost.I also think it showed the backset.

You can pull the trim rings off and check the code to tell what you have if no one altered them.The code is right at the valve stem ,for exsample "AZ" is a 15x8 factory corvette and a "FW" is a normal 15x7 found on most of our Montes

Terry

You must meen this one Terry..??

Gm Rally wheels...

XA 14X5 BS-3 1/2 67 Chevy II with drum brakes

DA 14X5 BS-3 7/8 67 Chevy II RALLY with disc brakes

DG 14X6 67 Camaro & Chevelle with discs brakes

XB 14X6BS -4 3/8 67 Chevelle SS, 68-69 Chevelle with F-70 Tires, 70 Chevelle

XN 14X6 BS-3 3/4 68-69 Camaro & Nova with drum brakes. Different shaped outer

AE 14X6 BS-4 3/8 70 Chevelle Station Wagon

XG 14X6 BS-3 7/8 68-69 Camaro with discs brakes, 68-70 Chevy II/ Nova with disc brakes, 69-69 El Camino without disc brakes. Wider drop center than normal

DE 14X6 BS-4 3/8 71-72 Nova & Chevelle, 6 hole wheels

YW 14X6 BS-4 3/8 Exactly like XB, may have come on same cars

YJ 14X7 BS-4 3/8 69 Camaro/ Chevy II L72- ZL1, 70 Nova

AV 14X7 70-72 Camaro, 71-72 Nova, 6 hole wheel

XT 14X7 L72- ZL1 Non Rally Wheel

YA 14X7 BS-4 3/8 69 Chevelle SS Wheel

AO 14X7 BS-4 3/8 70 Camaro &69 Chevelle SS Wheel

DB 15X5 67 Passenger Cars with disc brakes.

DF 15X6 BS-4 1/16 67-68 Camaro Z28

DC (BIG) 15X6 B-3 1/2 67 Corvette, No other stampings on rim

DC 15X6 BS-3 1/2 68-70 Passenger car, 67 Passenger car (early models)

FI 15X6 BS-3 1/2 68-70 Passenger car, 67 Passenger car (later models) Riveted instead of welded together

YS 15X6 BS-3 1/2 68-70 El Camino

FW 15X7 BS-4 1/4 71-up most any GM

AG 15X7 BS-3 3/4 68 Corvette (will take 15x8 Beauty rings)

YH 15X7 BS-4 1/4 L72- ZL1 Z28 Rally 69 narrow drop center

AD 15X7 BS-4 1/4 L72- ZL1 Z28 Rally 68 wide drop center

AV 15X7 70, 71, 73 CAMARO Z28 5 spoke wheel

AZ 15X8 BS-4 69-82 Corvette

Here are a few extra notes:

*BS-Backspacing

* All the rally wheels made in 1967 have big marking letters, no date code, a little bit different shaped center and slightly bigger holes in the center.

* The 15x7 beauty ring will go on all the 15x6 wheels.

* All the hubcaps interchange with each other.

Darren.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...