Vibration at 65

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

there was a lot of lead paint and mercury fish when I was growing up....also no car seats so I hit the dash a lot....

that's nothing..my mom used to tape my ears back.. in fear of me looking like a redneck.. kicking

Jim, check the trans yoke and output shaft. Make sure your splines look good. Then check for slop in the meshing of the yoke and the output shaft. I have seen a similar thing where the vehicle experienced vibration at 65mph and above(to at least 100mph) but would run smooth below 65mph. Turned out the yoke was not meshing properly on the output shaft. - Dave

maybe drive-line angle or bent axle shaft..how about rear axle bearings, specially the c-clip axle bearings. They're prone to easy fatigue because of their poor lubrication capabilities, often overlooked at low speeds. Yet unless they start leaking and obvious moisture is present on the brake linings or on the inside of the tire..the vehicles are driven well before they develop vibrations.

Not that it maybe your case, although if it's not tires, bent rim, u-joints, unbalance drive shaft, there's not much in the way of balancing that's common to the rear end of the vehicle? As we all know that area of the rear end (bearing design) lacks ingenuity, in the design aspect of it. Drive long distances with a low oil level & you've shot the axle bearing's life cycle in half. In actuality I've seen Chicago Rawhide seals outlast the bearing life and hardly ever leak, unless you happen to stumble onto the bearing's excessive play.

axle_oil_level.jpg

All of the internals have been replaced on the differential from Randy's Ring and Pinion 2 1/2 years ago. The vibration was there before that.

does the vibration ever fade-out or is it inherently there all the time & more noticeable at or above 65MPH. confused How about wheel run-out if they exceed .025-.030 in., either radially or laterally. You can try balancing all you want, and yet never get rid of the vibration, You mention you bought new wheels right..most after market wheels (not all) are not really hub-centric. That's a tough one. My money is on the old pinion angle. Though look at the diagram below.. that's why most would suspect tire unbalance or rim & or wheel bearing. Specially when the maximum vibration occurs at 65MPH.

tire2.jpg

If you really can't solve it try some Dyna beads Truckers have been using them for years to smooth out vibrations for longer tire and suspension life. I have them in my motorcycle tires and I can tell you it smoothed out the ride. They work quite well and are not expensive and easy enough to install.

You may chase your tail on this one for a while so if you've tried the basics and it's still doing this may want to try that option. Just a suggestion.

Good luck

Scott

I sure would like to find out what it is, almost as much as you do! I love to find out what the fix was for most of the questions our members ask. Great way to learn. Good luck!

I wonder if the rear tires were removed(drums secured with lug nuts), if the vibration would go away? Then add one tire back, then R&R with the other tire.

I'm starting to wonder if it's the wheels. They are 15 X 8 Vintique unilug rally's. Haven't heard about the driveshaft yet.I didn't won't to beileve it might be the wheels since I bought then brand new.

They are 15 X 8 Vintique unilug rally's

Are these the type of wheels that fit several different cars. The lug not holes are actually slotted some. I had a friend who had some wheel with the slotted holes and he had nothing but trouble with them