Steering question

What can I do to tighten up my steering ? I hate the floaty very loose play in my steering. I was thinking of goiong with a flaming river steering box but wanted to ask You all first. I just want to do bolt on stuff no fabricating.

Thanks in advance, Phil

Play in the steering could be caused by several things. Unless the bushings in your front end have been replaced they're probably pretty worn out. I'd check those first (Tie-rods, centerlink etc) before I replaced the steering box.

I replaced those, as well as the ball joints in mine.

Play in the steering could be caused by several things. Unless the bushings in your front end have been replaced they're probably pretty worn out. I'd check those first (Tie-rods, centerlink etc) before I replaced the steering box.

I replaced those, as well as the ball joints in mine.

ditto There is a lot of things than can cause looseness check the front end over real good. The box can also have some play in it there is an adjustment in the box but its been so long since I have done one I really dont remember the procudre but check the entire front end over first before you start throwing parts at it unless you plan to replace it all anyways and if so then just start ordering parts and ripping and tearing. its fun!

You may be able to improve things somewhat. However, keep in mind that the Monte stock steering system will never feel tight and responsive like a modern car. I replaced virtually everything in mine and a slalom car it is not.

The loseness he is speaking of may just be the light feel of the wheel and the high ratio of the stock boxes. What is it 4 - 5 turns lock to lock?

If this is what you are speaking of swap out the stock steering box. Either swap in a 84-87 box out of a Monte SS or other sporty g-body car. It will be much cheaper, look stock and all you need to do is get the hybrid rag joint. It is a progressive type box. The more you turn the tighter it gets. 3 turns lock to lock.

Or you can purchase some of the others out there that are either progressive or not depending on what you are looking for. I would recommending replacing all your front end bushings and possibly ball joints at the same time to tighten things up.

Dan

"You may be able to improve things somewhat. However, keep in mind that the Monte stock steering system will never feel tight and responsive like a modern car. I replaced virtually everything in mine and a slalom car it is not."

I believe this statement to be correct and I agree. I had the gearbox adjusted and it helped a bit. The steering feels better the longer I drive it (I get used to it) however after a day in my rack and pinion type cars, it again feels very loose for several miles.

Bruce

I agree with everything that has been said about the feel of the original steering on the 1st Gen Montes. The stock steering box has a variable ratio that ranges from 16:1 at the center position to 12:1 at each lock position. The 85-88 Monte SS box is a fixed ratio of 12.8:1 lock-to-lock.

The stock box has 3.3 turns lock-to-lock with the output shaft rotating 88.6 Degrees. The Monte SS box is 2.4 turns L-T-L but the output shaft only rotates 67.5 degrees. This makes a Monte less maneuverable in tight places like a parking lot.

To convert a 1st Gen Monte with power steering you need to change the steering box (a direct replacement), a new rag joint (the one that fits 76 - 86 C10 GMC or Chevy 2 wheel drive pickups), and since the Monte SS steering box has metric O ring fittings and the stock hosees are SAE flare fittings, you need to rework your power steering hoses.

Once you make those changes you will like the way your Monte steers. Now you will start thinking about replacing the front control arm bushings, new ball joints, adding a new set of Hotchkis coils, new shocks, a bigger sway bar, add a couple degrees of positive caster to the alignment. And while your at it, new control arms in the rear, add a sway bar, stiffer rear springs, a set of new shocks, a set of 4 lower profile tires and that means 4 new rims. Does it ever end???

Mike

I agree with everything that has been said about the feel of the original steering on the 1st Gen Montes. The stock steering box has a variable ratio that ranges from 16:1 at the center position to 12:1 at each lock position. The 85-88 Monte SS box is a fixed ratio of 12.8:1 lock-to-lock.

The stock box has 3.3 turns lock-to-lock with the output shaft rotating 88.6 Degrees. The Monte SS box is 2.4 turns L-T-L but the output shaft only rotates 67.5 degrees. This makes a Monte less maneuverable in tight places like a parking lot.

To convert a 1st Gen Monte with power steering you need to change the steering box (a direct replacement), a new rag joint (the one that fits 76 - 86 C10 GMC or Chevy 2 wheel drive pickups), and since the Monte SS steering box has metric O ring fittings and the stock hosees are SAE flare fittings, you need to rework your power steering hoses.

Once you make those changes you will like the way your Monte steers. Now you will start thinking about replacing the front control arm bushings, new ball joints, adding a new set of Hotchkis coils, new shocks, a bigger sway bar, add a couple degrees of positive caster to the alignment. And while your at it, new control arms in the rear, add a sway bar, stiffer rear springs, a set of new shocks, a set of 4 lower profile tires and that means 4 new rims. Does it ever end???

Mike

Nope grin I still need to do the steering box and control arms on the front one of these days LOL

I've used an 81 Camaro Z-28 (Specifically a Z-28!} in my last 4 cars (72 Monte RagTop, 69 Kingswood wagon, 70 Chevelle wagon & 70 Vista Cruiser wagon). Bolts right in w/ no hose fitting changes or issues...good ratio and a "not-as-light-feel". It ain't no Porshe rack & pinion, but it's an inexpensive and e-z first step. If it's not to your liking, it's an "E-Z sell" on craigs list. Don't forget to add big sway bars w/ non-rubber bushings...another very cheap and E-Z addition that makes a really great difference! good luck!

Yes, Scott, it has been done successfully more than once. I researched it and seriously considered it last year but decided to add factory PS to my 4-speed '70 as a first step. The conversion is not cheap ($1,800 - $2,000), but apparently the results are very impressive.

I exchanged emails with two former members who had both installed the Unisteer kit for '68 - '72 Chevelles.

http://www.unisteer.com/search_by_product/bolt_in_rack_pinions/chevelle_gm_a_body.html

Everything works except the lower steering shaft segment has to be longer (about 10 5/8" total length as I recall) because of the Monte's longer wheel base. The factory is well aware of this and can provide you with the right substitute shaft if you tell them it is for a Monte.

There was a very nice photo essay of this project available here for awhile, but it seems to have gone away when the member left that had posted it.

There is at least one other kit available that should work with minor modifications and there are probably other members that have done this conversion. Hopefully, they will chime in and share their personal experiences.