Rally rim differences

Hey Michael, here is a list I found a while back...If you look 3/4 of the way down you will see your FW you are after....hope this helps....

Darren.

GM Rally Wheels

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

XA 14X5 BS-3 1/2 67 Chevy II with drum brakes

DA 14X5 BS-3 7/8 67 Chevy II RALLY with disc brakes

DG 14X6 67 Camaro & Chevelle with discs brakes

XB 14X6BS -4 3/8 67 Chevelle SS, 68-69 Chevelle with F-70 Tires, 70 Chevelle

XN 14X6 BS-3 3/4 68-69 Camaro & Nova with drum brakes. Different shaped outer

AE 14X6 BS-4 3/8 70 Chevelle Station Wagon

XG 14X6 BS-3 7/8 68-69 Camaro with discs brakes, 68-70 Chevy II/ Nova with disc brakes, 69-69 El Camino without disc brakes. Wider drop center than normal

DE 14X6 BS-4 3/8 71-72 Nova & Chevelle, 6 hole wheels

YW 14X6 BS-4 3/8 Exactly like XB, may have come on same cars

YJ 14X7 BS-4 3/8 69 Camaro/ Chevy II L72- ZL1, 70 Nova

AV 14X7 70-72 Camaro, 71-72 Nova, 6 hole wheel

XT 14X7 L72- ZL1 Non Rally Wheel

YA 14X7 BS-4 3/8 69 Chevelle SS Wheel

AO 14X7 BS-4 3/8 70 Camaro &69 Chevelle SS Wheel

DB 15X5 67 Passenger Cars with disc brakes.

DF 15X6 BS-4 1/16 67-68 Camaro Z28

DC (BIG) 15X6 B-3 1/2 67 Corvette, No other stampings on rim

DC 15X6 BS-3 1/2 68-70 Passenger car, 67 Passenger car (early models)

FI 15X6 BS-3 1/2 68-70 Passenger car, 67 Passenger car (later models) Riveted instead of welded together

YS 15X6 BS-3 1/2 68-70 El Camino

FW 15X7 BS-4 1/4 71-up most any GM

AG 15X7 BS-3 3/4 68 Corvette (will take 15x8 Beauty rings)

YH 15X7 BS-4 1/4 L72- ZL1 Z28 Rally 69 narrow drop center

AD 15X7 BS-4 1/4 L72- ZL1 Z28 Rally 68 wide drop center

AV 15X7 70, 71, 73 CAMARO Z28 5 spoke wheel

AZ 15X8 BS-4 69-82 Corvette

Here are a few extra notes:

*BS-Backspacing

* All the rally wheels made in 1967 have big marking letters, no date code, a little bit different shaped center and slightly bigger holes in the center.

* The 15x7 beauty ring will go on all the 15x6 wheels.

* All the hubcaps interchange with each other.

Hey Jim I believe you are right... as the Chevelles didnt all come with disc brakes other than the convertibles and BB cars,besides the Elky and wagons... some of the 15x7's and definatly the 15x8's had diff codes and offsets like the 4-3/4 backspace and even the 5" ones floating around for the Vettes,the chevelles had either 14" drums or disc brakes due to a factory tiny 14" wheel until 71 onwards but the vette I believe already stepped up to 15" in 70 rather than 71....

Darren.

I always thought power disc brakes and power steering were standard. If you did not want them you had to opt out for them. I could be wrong but it they were selling Montes as a personal luxury car I would think they would be standard power disc and power steering just my two cents.

Hey Shawn, yes you were right the Monte was the luxury mans car and the Chevelle was the step down...Yes Rod and Vaughn you heard the Chevelle guy say that so print it off and frame it...hahaha... I have only seen a handful of Monte's with drums But Power Steering was not a full time given as I have seen in person a Documented 1971 Monte Carlo that is a 402-4spd car that did NOT come with power Steering and also to boot it didnt have a 7 blade clutch fan either it had a 4 blade fixed plate fan, with no rear sway bar or boxed control arms too.....

Jim, the hand full of monte's I saw were like 5-1970's that had Drums and 1 1971 also but had a real ggod feeling someone might have swapped those disc's off the 71 and put drums back on in order to put them on a Chevelle.....Those Damn Chevelle guys anyways.....hahahaha

Just for the heck of it I checked my 15x8's out in the garage and three have the same code and the forth doesnt match but here is another good one the single that doesnt match says it was made in the USA and the other 3 say they were made in Canada.....better have that single one made in the USA checked out to make sure it's not Bent......hahahahahahahahahahaaha....love pokeing fun...have a great weekend guys...

Darren.

Darren, would you happen to have access to a list of the wheel codes for the Z/28 SS rims that were also on the Chevelles and El Caminos? They were the dark pewter/gray, five spoke rims with the partial hidden beauty rings. Not sure I have a pic handy to show you but hopefully you know what rims I am describing. Thanks - Dave

Darren, would you happen to have access to a list of the wheel codes for the Z/28 SS rims that were also on the Chevelles and El Caminos? They were the dark pewter/gray, five spoke rims with the partial hidden beauty rings. Not sure I have a pic handy to show you but hopefully you know what rims I am describing. Thanks - Dave

Dave,

I noticed that wheel code "AV", which is next to last on Darren's list, is a five spoke, gray, 15 X 7 wheel for a Z28. Is that possibly what you are looking for?

Dennis, that may be the ones but I was hoping that is not the only code for those wheels. I have a set on my El Camino that I purchased used and refurbished that are 15x7 and the code is JJ. Just curious if they were on a certain type of car off the assembly line or if they were rims purchased at the parts counter. - Dave

edit - well it appears I will have to look again at those rims. The JJ code I found is on the rim section covered by the tire. This code seems to be on all the rims and refers to the P/N for the tire cross section. Seems there is a list out there but I am getting conflicting info. Sorry if I hi-jacked this thread.

FYI for anyone interested. I found my codes near the valve stem. My code is AU which equates to the 15x7 Z/28 rims from 70-75. Found all the info from "NastyZ28" and Team Camaro. Also found the plant and date code. Appears they are Kelsey Hayes from 1971. The AV code is for the 14 inch rim. - Dave

Hey Dave , that is exactly where I was going to look and suggest next was Nasty Z28...... Did you get off the site the Valve stem hole info..?? The Z wheels that have the round hole around the valve stems are rims that came from the 77-81 Z cars and the Oval hole around the stems were the correct Dated wheels for the Elky's and 71-72 chevelle SS cars and of course the Z28 also...

Darren.

Did you get off the site the Valve stem hole info..?? The Z wheels that have the round hole around the valve stems are rims that came from the 77-81 Z cars and the Oval hole around the stems were the correct Dated wheels for the Elky's and 71-72 chevelle SS cars and of course the Z28 also...

Darren.

No I didn't see that info Darren but,... mine have the oval hole. That makes for great news. Maybe mine were originally on an El Camino. Also found GM stamped in the area around the oval hole.

Never even thought to look in that area when I first purchased these wheels in 2004. Couldn't find any info on the web back then either. Sadly, these rims have only seen about 15 miles on the road so far for me. I'm real close to getting her back on the road though. - Dave

Hey Murray, from what I know of which is not gospel but my 2 cents worth is on such rims like the 15x8 or 7 vette wheels there were markings sometimes in the form of letters or numbers by the lug holes on the rims, or like the Z28 or chevelle SS wheels there were markings around the valve stem holes and also on the inside when the tires are dismounted they are stamped where the two halves meet or seem lines. They will say where they were made like Canada or the USA and also the size ie 14x7 or 15x6 and then the Catalouge company name such as Canadian Wheel or Wheel Vintiques or Coker or ?????? I think seldom did they have marks on the backside of the rims by the lug nut holes but I thought I had heard some where rarely marked there...

Darren.

OK. I have 15 x 7's on this 71 and noticed that on the humps near the lugnut it is stamped 'GM' and 'C' I'm certain these are the FW code....Just like to learn more info. I possibly might go with 16x8's on the rear but that's waaay down on the list.

Picked up the Rally's. Look good. Will probably need to be sand blasted to clean up the bit of rust developing in the creases but I like them. Rings are a little beat up but will suffice for now.

IMG_0527.jpg

IMG_0528.jpg

IMG_0529.jpg

Rallys look really nice! As for the trim rings, one of the great things about stainless is you can wet sand a lot of the flaws out by using progressively finer grit sandpaper (i.e. 1000/1500/2000) followed up by the Powerball treatment for great results.