Finally in the 11`s

502ci

Went to the dragstrip last night and finally hit the 11`s, several back to back 11.95`s, car normally runs 12.03- 12.04`s.

I won`t give credit to my fuel upgrade (I do not believe this had any effect on the E.T. because mph was the same) and I kinda figured that it wouldn`t, it was installed for future upgrades.

I`ll give credit to my new lighter front wheels and tires, also 70 degrees outside.

60 ft times increased to 1.57 from 1.65 eek

mafia.gif

Another cool part of the story was when I stopped for gas 8 miles before the track at a main intersection off the highway. While pumping gas three guys came over and starting talking to me about my car, they were all from Norway.

They were telling me about their cars they had back home, one had a blown small block 37 chevy running 11.92, another had 69 camaro running 10.30`s, and the third guy had a supercharged 91 vette but didn`t say what it ran, but then he was the hardest to understand.

They asked why I was driving with slicks on, I told them I was heading to the track.

They startng getting excited, they were heading to Columbus Ohio for the Mopar nationals (I think that`s what he said) and asked if they could follow me to the track. I said no problem.

They are driving in a rented cadallac escalade, and wanted to race it. laugh

So at the track they are taking turns driving it with a bet the loser has to buy the beer. These guys were pretty cool, eventually the one guy is ripping the air filter out hoping to go faster lol .

drivin.gif

Sweet! That's a good mark to hit. Eventually, my goal also, because I don't want to put a cage in the car, and I think NHRA mandates that at 11.99 and faster, you need one don't they!

congrats!

They lowered it to 11.49 and faster, then you need at least a 5 point roll-bar.

Roll cage at 9.99

smile

I`ve been looking for a new intake, what does Don do to it?

Also I have to make sure that manifold is the best one compatable for a centrifugal supercharger.

cool

you're at the point where you need a single plane, I don't know about the huffer, Don told me to use the jr with the edelbrock heads, your heads on the 502 ARE edelbrock heads if they are the alum, do you have the square or oval port

he matches the intake ports to the heads, and can "port" the hole intake

Aluminum oval port 110cc.

The heads are stamped GM Performance Parts.

Your saying edelbrock makes them?

positively, the edelbrock ovals have a port that is bigger than a oval and smaller than a square, he can make a jr match, I bet you'll impressed with the results of a intake swap esp on the big end, different heads would sure wake that puppy up too!!!

that's why I switched

Congrats on reaching the 11's. I was running 11.30's with an RPM Intake (non-airgap) with a 468 motor and 3.55 gears on 93 gas.

After doing very careful testing over several months and track rental days between a Vic Jr. and the RPM, the RPM with a 1" open spacer was the quickest ET wise and was a far cry better for street driveability.

There many many cars under 540 CI that run RPM intakes into the low 10's.

If you post up your timeslip data, I could analyze it and give an opinion if you are interested.

Again, Congrats !!!!!

CONGRATS BILL !!!!!!! 11'S..... NEXT THE 10'S laugh

I'm stuck at 12.90's for a while but that's Ok...for now. wink

OH NO!!..........HERE COMES THE SMALL BLOCK COMMENTS.......... :rolleyes:lollol

Here is my timeslip data...

My 1.57 60 ft. was a mistake frown or I can`t find that one timeslip, either way it wasn`t on my two 11 second runs.

60 ft. ---- 1.640

330 ft. --- 4.853

1/8 ET ---- 7.606

1/8 MPH --- 89.10

1000' ET -- 9.951

1/4 ET ---- 11.959

1/4 MPH --- 112.20

The other 11 second was almost exact as above.

smile

They lowered it to 11.49 and faster, then you need at least a 5 point roll-bar.

Roll cage at 9.99

smile

Looks like I have a new goal in that case! smile That makes me very happy!

Tom, what kind of work to they do to the RPM intakes to make them run in the 10s!!!! I would have not guessed that one!

Bill, boosted app's typically don't work well with a dual plane. Torque on a boosted app come from the boost not from the design of the manifold. Go with the single for a future boosted app.

I am not trying to start a string war here over manifolds but look around on the web sites at the high powered crate deals out there and find me anything over 500 hp with a dual plane or an option for a dual plane. These are sold by companies that survive by selling proven consistent powerful packages.

I have done many tests myself over the years with all different make of manifolds, to the point of designing custom cams for the dual planes with the guy's at comp,crane,lunati,ultradyne etc etc. Never could make the dual plane deal outperform a proper single plane combo when the goal was 500+hp. OK you say what about track testing? Glad to say way more than most have ever done, we had a Ex Warren Johnson firebird pro stock car to test with as part of my job!

My job was to develope and test engine packages to be sold in crate form by a very big name shop in the crate engine /race engine leasing game. The shop I worked for was contracted to do the development work so his guy's could have time to maintain his lease stuff. I did most of the , hey we need a (x) ci package with (x) hp & tq at or under (x) rpms.

The owner decided to retire, the shop was sold

and is now a import car repair facility!! That sucks! So now I work for myself.

I know most of everything is based on displacement when it comes to parts recomendations, so lets break it down to a ci per HP deal. I can and have built 2 Hp+ per cube combo's average is 1.0/1.25 hp per cube for a home built deal. Look at MC71454 (tom) as a reference, quessing at a 3500# weight his et would require in the neighborhood of 600hp at the wheels and 650/675 at the fly wheel depending on the drivetrain losses. Thats 1.2/1.25 Hp per cube, thats good for a homebuilt combo. If that level of power per cube combo were applied to an average 468 ci engine,that would make that builders understanding and ability to set up a combo, produce a 562 hp 468.

Now lets take a different approach and look at a proven 757 Hp /670 ftlbs 468 ci 6500 rpm peak combo on 94 octane pump juice. Thats 1.62 HP per cube, on a street/strip combo. This shows the diff in builders abilities to make power. Granted this combo required a cam not generally availible to the average builder. Not belittling anyone here, Tom is a master tuner, he has tweaked and tuned just about everthing he could get from his current combo. Tuning ability is a must on any combo, if you can't tune it then it won't perform to it's best capability!

In the end the choice is up to you, look around and see for yourself, the people that make their living at building these deals 99% prefer the single plane. One or two guys here or there that have had better luck with their home built personally selected combo's that have better luck from a dual plane dosen't mean they have found a secret power combo that the pro's have over looked!

Don

I`m already convinced that it will be a single plane, Sam is suggesting the Victor Junior. I`m assuming you suggested and modified that one for him.

Is that one the best for me, with my crate 502 and that F2 supercharger that I talk about all the time?

I am also aware that I need a custom built blow thru carb.

Whenever you have the time I appreciate the input.

Bill

laugh

Bill, you do indeed have a hard set of heads to select a manifold for! You have a set of gm marked Edelbrock "oval" port heads. These are not traditional oval port design openings. They are more of a baby rect port. I still have Bones454 set of eddy's on the end of the work bench! You will have to go with an oval port head and open it up to match the heads. The Vic Jr will be fine once matched to the heads. The manifold will also need to plenum blended and cleaned up for the blow through deal.

Don

Don picked a different intake for me, remember we changed to a different head too

I was going to use the Jr when I was going to keep the eddy's, just sent it back

this engine is getting whatever Don says, maybe next year even a dominator carb, we'll have to see how it runs first

what do you think people will say when it says RICE RACING on the valve covers lol

gotrice.gif

I can smell the fuel in the air must be that time of year..........that or i have been in the garage to long with the door down! Congrats i know how much anticipation there is knocking on the window of the next second down now. Maybe i need to talk to Rice about my SB ideas this winter so next fall i can be trying for 11's......well maybe just a little lower in the 12's

This is my suspension and I`m not saying you need all this to run fast. wink

My set-up is for adjustability on and off the track, okay here goes...

*QA1 front coil-over 12-way adjustable shocks.

*QA1 rear 12-way adjustable shocks.

*Hotchkis lowering rear springs.

*Adjustable rear spring spacer.(Sits under spring on perch.) Adjusts from 0 to 4". Can be used to preload right rear tire or lift both sides, adjusts in seconds with socket set.

*Hotchkis front and rear swaybars.

*Edelbrock double adjustable rear upper control arms.

*Edelbrock boxed rear lower control arms.

*Edelbrock tubular rear braces. (For strength and to accurately locate rear suspension.)

The adjustable shocks are great, I`ve played with them and setting the right rear and the left front at the stiffest while leaving the left rear and the right front at the softest gives a controlled even launch every time.

cool