Raising the rear

Ok, what does everyone think is the best way to raise the back of my car. I have already installed new Moog springs and new standard shocks. The car still sits low in the back. What is best way to raise the back of the car, air shocks, coil lifters or what?

I like the smooth ride it has just not the sag. And I have been told air shocks give you a rough ride.

How far are you wanting to raise it? On mine I put 1" lower Hotchis springs all the way around with KYB Gas Adjust shocks. It seemed to be a little lower in the rear than the front and I just wasn't happy with the way it sat even though the ride was fine.

I used the 1 1/2" spacers in the rear so it's actually only 1/2" higher than stock while the front is 1" lower than stock. It rides great and I didn't have to use shock extensios.

(Can't get a pic to load at work so I'll email you one of how my car sits now)

Mine came with air shocks and they deal with the sag, but as others have pointed out in other places, the better way to go is with elco springs. The shock mounts were not designed to carry the weight of the car. The spring mounts are.

That said, mine does not ride hard at all. Granted, they're not "full" of air...only about 25 pounds. It gives me the right stance without a hard ride.

When I was a kid, I had air shocks on my Nova pumped up to something like 70 pounds. I wanted a stupidly serious rake. It rode like it had no springs at all. Back then I thought that was kewl.

I have the moog cargo coils in mine cc501 with air shocks but not much air in the shocks at all just enough to keep the bags full. I do load the car up pretty good for camping at shows and keeps the hight just fine without adding air. The old springs were the orignals and were sagging bad. This is the way it sits now.

IMG_0345.jpg

Thank you everyone, a lot of good ideas here. I will do some further research and decide what I am going to do. Its to bad I did not ask this question before I just put the new Moog springs on the Monte.

• 2 years later...

MonteNH your pic are not showing any more. i would like to see how ur monte sits wit the elco springs as i need to order new ones cuz mine are sagging but i dont want want it to sit to high in the rear

Use a performance spring from Hotchkis, Global West or similar...... Install in car ..... See where car sits and how much add'l height is needed ....... Purchase billet coil spring spacers for the add'l height needed. They come in various heights and a simple install.

This way you get the benefits of a performance spring rather than just a taller one. They will be a little stiffer when just driving but are progressive. They will get stiffer the more you lean into them. The spacer will not effect benefits of the performance spring or effect ride quality but will get you to the height you want for stance.

Dan