Minni Monte

Looks awesome Kelly,

I'm glad that you have her back on the road! Congrats!!!!!!

Thats alot of hard work you've done.

You should drive down to High River next weekend. A few of us getting together for the show on the 23rd.

Sounds like it will be more than just a few members. Hope to see you there Kelly.

Hey Kevin, I'd love to see it all done too. smile.gif That happens, right?

Went for a cruise tonight after the wheel alignment and it was great. With the 2.73's, I just haven't found a good spot to see what it's like at higher revs in 5th. I moved the shifter to the other side of the mount (duh), and now it's centered nicely in the console. The speedometer isn't working, so I need to crawl under and figure that one out, but it's definitely a driver now. I even put in a new tank of gas today after 2 years.

Yes Tony, it really is a complete kit if you order it that way. I asked for everything to convert from a console automatic and I can't think of anything I bought other than the 4 speed plate for the console. Keisler supplied the 5 speed insert.

The RS500 (based on Borg Warner T45 with Keisler tail housing) really does fit without any cutting. I seem to have lots of clearance and no problem installing (other than bolting it to the bellhousing - holy crap).

Hey Vaughn and Aaron, I'd love to see you and everyone else in High River but it's not going to work out for me. On the plus side, I have to be able to make it somewhere next summer. smile.gif I'd really like to get to the Western Meet.

• 9 months later...

It’s been a while since I posted on this, so I thought I’d provide an update. I had a number of different problems with lifters. I had one collapsed as mentioned earlier, and on the new setup I had one that wouldn’t pump up. Like most things on this car, I was able to do many tasks multiple times, like remove and install the intake manifold. I decided to get rid of the manual choke carb and get an electric one instead. I like it so much better.

I’ve had an F41 rear anti-sway bar set up with the boxed control arms for years so I finally put that in and replaced the shocks. I also got the Eaton posi with 3:42 gears installed and I’m very happy with the overall performance. I managed to melt my speedo cable so I’m not exactly sure my speed, but I think highway cruising in 5th is going to be great. If anyone coming to the western meet has one they want to part with, let me know. The tranny is breaking in now and shifting very smooth and solid. I’ve also gotten used to the hydraulic clutch and it made the header install a lot easier. I found a sport steering wheel and even though it’s not correct for the year, I love the look of it. I think I finally get to drive my car, and make the western meet! Damn near dancing banana time.

Sport%20Wheel.jpg

• 4 years later...

I thought I'd resurrect this thread since Minni Monte is getting a paint job and I'm thinking of doing a tribute SS the way I'd do it. I have some trim install questions but I'll make a separate thread. Reasonably painless to remove. I was pleasantly surprised that the back window I assumed was rusted out, is in fact solid. It always held water and was spongy underneath. Turns out it was a thin layer of silicone underneath the vinyl. Have you ever put away something valuable in a "safe" place and it was so safe you couldn't find it? I had a bullet mirror from a first gen that fell in that category. Seeing all the posts on them was killing me, especially as the time for paint closes in. Found it today after looking off and on for a year. Feeling grateful.

post-307-0-42042500-1510623021_thumb.jpg

post-307-0-43885000-1510623043_thumb.jpg

post-307-0-20150900-1510623066_thumb.jpg

Well an SS tribute eh............... haha then them Centerlines will have to come off and go in my Garage if your doing a tribute with rallies.........  :whistle:

are you going as far as Bias Ply's as well or ?

Darren

Well an SS tribute eh............... haha then them Centerlines will have to come off and go in my Garage if your doing a tribute with rallies.........  :whistle:

are you going as far as Bias Ply's as well or ?

Darren

Keep the nice hood spear and trunk bezel for the real SS. Remove from the tribute. I like the lower fender SS emblems and would do the tail panel if I could find the sticks. Might do the SS on the back even if I can't find the sticks. Centrelines have to stay. Sorry brother.

I have spare OEM original ss454 emblems Kelly if you need some. they are used but gm. clean them up and they should be usable for sure.

Darren

• 9 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 years later...

I was pulling things apart to put the ol 402 back in this car so the drivetrain came out. No issues with the transmission but noticed this odd groove on the front of the input shaft. Hmmm.... looked at the end of the crank and the roller bearing was shaved bits of metal. Not good. Hmmm.... that's an odd little line there.... almost looks like a crack. Compared an old picture, definitely a crack. Apparently the input shaft was custom made for these transmissions and they aren't making them any more, and the few that were left over after the Keisler bankruptcy are long gone. Can you say boat anchor?

Broken input shaft.jpg